Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whatevr happened to the 32 county sovereignty?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Liam Lynch

bonkey wrote:
    What national minority?

Those of the Unionist persuasion.
    The nation of 32 counties doesn't exist. Never has, except under the very rule you insist has no authority to have imposed laws on us.

Lost!

And no - they don't have a veto over it. Over 90% said they wished to drop our constitutional claim. No minority has a veto over whether or not that claim was dropped or whether or not such a claim could be re-established.

Goalposts. Supposing the 90% vote for unity, what happens then?
    What you might mean is that they have a veto over the making of that claim a reality. In this case, yes....they do. We accepted that when we dropped the claim in the first place. We, in this case, is a majority of the Republic, a majority of the population of the North and a majority of the voting residents of the island.

And we have challenged the legitimacy of that arrangement as undemocratic. And again I ask, since no one else will answer it, what is the democratic basis for British Parliamentary activity in Ireland? Someone?
    So whatever way you look at it, you are arguing that the democratically expressed wishes of the majority shouldn't count because you don't like them.

No, on the contrary, the democratic wishes of all the people should be expressed without British interference or pre condition.

Wicknight wrote:
    That is ridiculous.

You might as well claim that if they were actually asked for a united Ireland they weren't asked for a united Ireland with a 3 day working week and a bowl of ice cream, and therefore the vote for a united Ireland is an invalid representation of the people :rolleyes:

People are asked to vote on what they are asked to vote on. If they don't want it they don't vote for it. Simple as.

It was the will of the people to support the GFA.

You (as in you the individual) are in no position to tell the people of Ireland what they want while simultaneously ignoring what they have already voted for.

If the people of Ireland didn't want to accept the GFA they wouldn't have voted over overwhelmingly to support it.

Trying to second guess the will of the Irish people just because you don't agree, trying to claim that that isn't what they really want, and instead telling them what they really do what, makes a mockery of the democracy that you are supposed to be strive for.

More anti-democratic nonsense from so called "republicans" :rolleyes:

Shades of the Nice Treaty eh?

Liam Lynch wrote:
    Lost!
    That doesn't surprise me.
    Supposing the 90% vote for unity, what happens then?
    Are you unable to deal with the post without dodging it with a hypothetical?
    And we have challenged the legitimacy of that arrangement as undemocratic. And again I ask, since no one else will answer it, what is the democratic basis for British Parliamentary activity in Ireland? Someone?
    International law...I hope ye didn't give too much of a deposit to your "UN Lawyer" because the only reason I suggested you get another lawyer a few posts back was to try and get it back.
    No, on the contrary, the democratic wishes of all the people should be expressed without British interference or pre condition.
    Surely if the people who voted agreed with you,they wouldnt have voted in the referenda at all or voted no...Instead they voted for to legitimise British soveireignity in NI by ending our constitutional claim.
    That makes a nonsense of your assertions.

Oh and guess where the GFA is registered as a recognised internationally binding treaty??
    Yes you've guessed it - at the Uuuuuuuu knighted naaaaations.
    Did your no doubt expensive lawyer tell you that when he was taking on this futile case of yours?

Tristrame wrote:
    That doesn't surprise me.

Nor addresses it.
    Are you unable to deal with the post without dodging it with a hypothetical?

Democracy is both sides of the option.
    International law...I hope ye didn't give too much of a deposit to your "UN Lawyer" because the only reason I duggested you get another lawyer a few posts back was to try and get it back.

And?
    Surely if the people who voted agreed with you,they wouldnt have voted...less still have voted for to legitimise British soveireignity in NI by ending our constitutional claim.

Indeed, I can remember the remarkable clarity through which the GFA was sold to the electorate by both governments. Not to mention the false claim concerning a quid pro quo on constitutional change. Bloody details eh?

Oh and guess where the GFA is registered as a recognised internationally binding treaty??
    Yes you've guessed it - at the Uuuuuuuu knighted naaaaations.

And guess where our objection to it is lodged? Have you joined the dots yet?
    Did your no doubt expensive lawyer tell you that when he was taking on this futile case of yours?

Tell us what, that we should place our objection in the forum where both governments were lodging their agreement to have it legitimized? Your sarcasm is as bad as your political acumen. But do keep trying.

Liam Lynch wrote:
    What democracy deal? You seem confused between an electoral arrangement and a democratic one. You shoud try to address that confusion first before you proffer arguments for democracy.
    No you just didn't read my post properly.
    Look again.
    I said,thats democracy - DEAL WITH IT.
    But they're not democratically for it. Is the penny beginning to drop?
    The penny dropped roughly around your first post or two that you haven't grasped the meaning of democracy.
    Ah, quantity over quality. The veracity of the argument means nothing to you, only the statistics behind it?
    We are.
    Is it a mirror you are looking in there? Because I've seen nothing much credible from you so far in this thread so far.
    You've totally ignored bonkeys point that the first time this Island was united in one political entity was when the British took over.
    Prior to that it was an island of several chiefdoms.

• Advertisement

Tristrame wrote:
    No you just didn't read my post properly.
    Look again.
    I said,thats democracy - DEAL WITH IT.

I know you said it was democracy, that's why I corrected you. Try keep up.

The penny dropped roughly around your first post or two that you haven't grasped the meaning of democracy.

Statistics or something, right?
    Is it a mirror you are looking in there? Because I've seen nothing much credible from you so far in this thread so far.

Is this your exit strategy? :(

You've totally ignored bonkeys point that the first time this Island was united in one political entity was when the British took over.

Yup!

Prior to that it was an island of several chiefdoms.

And so the British could therefore do what they liked with it type of argument.

Liam Lynch wrote:
    Indeed, I can remember the remarkable clarity through which the GFA was sold to the electorate by both governments. Not to mention the false claim concerning a quid pro quo on constitutional change. Bloody details eh?
    I voted in that referendum and recall no such lack of clarity.
    And guess where our objection to it is lodged? Have you joined the dots yet?
    I've dealt with that sillyness posts ago as have others.
    Good luck with handing Australia back to the aborigine's,the U.S to the indians etc.
    Your lawyer must be laughing all the way to the bank.
    It might be advisable to look at previous cases he/she has take on by the way.
    Tell us what, that we should place our objection in the forum where both governments were lodging their agreement to have it legitimized?
    I'd imagine he should have laughed at ye if he was being fair and sent ye to Las vegas.
    Your sarcasm is as bad as your political acumen. But do keep trying.
    Thats a good sign that it's working thanks.

Tristrame wrote:
    I voted in that referendum and recall no such lack of clarity.

Yeah, you just voted for 'don't rock the boat peace'.

I've dealt with that sillyness posts ago as have others.
    Good luck with handing Australia back to the aborigine's,the U.S to the indians etc.
    Your lawyer must be laughing all the way to the bank.
    It might be advisable to look at previous cases he/she has take on by the way.I'd imagine he should have laughed at ye if he was being fair and sent ye to Las vegas.Thats a good sign that it's working thanks.

As I suspected, an exit strategy.

Liam Lynch wrote:
    I know you said it was democracy, that's why I corrected you. Try keep up.
    Now you're not even reading your own posts.
    But you are trolling...Badly.
    Statistics or something, right?
    2 words is discussion with you it seems...
    Do you realise how silly yuour posts are both getting and how poor you are putting across your position.

I'll summarise..dodge...dodge..dodge..
    Is this your exit strategy? :(
    I'll give you a hint , this is a discussion forum.
    And so the British could therefore do what they liked with it type of argument.
    You should empathise with that, given that you think you can do what you like ie ignore present day democracy.

Liam Lynch wrote:
    As I suspected, an exit strategy.
    I'll give you the exit door now.
    Banned for being a trolly mctroll and a reregister.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement