Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm Installation Course

Options
  • 11-08-2007 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi I am looking for an alarm installation course in Dublin, maybe a foundation course with a view to doing some more courses in this sector, like fire alarms, cctv etc.
    I am looking for a prt time evening course, so if any1 can reccomend one , would br great , many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

The only company I know of that do these privately are http://www.hitechtraining.ie/
    I don't know if they are any good since I went through the apprentice route but they are doing them a long time.

If you want to get into it as a job then I would recomend going through FAS
    instead it's a full course and they will place you with a company for part of your training and in most cases this leads to a full time job if you are any good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭spinaltap

Thanks Redshift,
    I will look into hitech traiinng course and ring them monday, just saw there website.
    Unfortunatley I am a little to old to start another apprenticeship, as I did mine in the printing trade about 15 years ago, is there a pacific apprenticeship for alarm instaltion or is it under the guise of electrican, many thanks for your advise redshift

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

I don't think it's a trade as such, but moves are being made in that direction.
    The closest trade I suppose would be an electrician but being an alarm installer or service engineer would not make you an electrician by any stretch.
    there is an apprenticeship scheme but that is run by FAS and it's the route most newcommers take.
    With this sort of work 90% of what you need is learned on the job but I don't know how easy it will be for you to get a job with just the Hi-Tech Course.
    There are entry level and trainee jobs advertised all the time with various companies but again i'm not sure if they would be looking for the FAS course as a minimum.
    I would think from looking at the course specs that it would be enough to get a job as a trainee installer but at 30 hours in total it's rather short really for what it covers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Alarm Installation is covered in electrical apprenticeships, But I'm sure there are people out there doing it that aren't electricians. But yeah the best way about to go about it would be FAS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭spinaltap

Thats stoke and redshift, you have been very helpful.
    I have decided to do the hitech training course as its part time and Fas as far as I can see id full time, I am married with 3 week old twins as much as I owuld like to do 26 weeks in fas, I dont think its feasable.
    Redshift , quick question, I have this posted under alarm help so I dont wanna waste your time, I have an aritech alarm , I got some contacts changed as I was getting new windows and also a new motion sensor, last week The alarm started going off when we either turned on the electric cable or turned any lights upstairs and downstairs, is there something I can do or is it a job for one of yous lads, many thanks in advavce

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 pollymar

Hi,

I'll be running a course in Alarm installation in January next, which will be in the region of €300 for a five week basic course. It will be an intensive 80% hands on course rather than a lot of lectures which I found to be less than helpfull when it comes to standing on site. As I have a lot of enquiries so far, I may even get another course set up before Xmas. I am waiting for the premises to be finished. I am a site tech so I bring a lot of experience to the program. Register at enquiries@thehughesgroup.ie

Regards

Martin

www.thehughesgroup.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3 johnhorrig

hi does anyone know where i can find some infomation on fas alarm insulation course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 snoop78

I recently completed an alarm installer course with chevron training. The course was fetac certified and the social welfare paid for it. It was very well run, the trainer had years of experience and every student had their own individual alarm system to work on during the course which was really beneficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 meehall

snoop78 wrote: »
    I recently completed an alarm installer course with chevron training. The course was fetac certified and the social welfare paid for it. It was very well run, the trainer had years of experience and every student had their own individual alarm system to work on during the course which was really beneficial.
    Looking at these courses myself at the minute. Would you say you need to have an electrician background, I'm not convinced by any of these fast track courses. How did you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Mr Bump

Hi
    I see you done the hitech training in the alarm installation a few years back, how did you find it also did you take it up working full time, if so how did it work out for you?

• Advertisement
Advertisement