Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Providers Poll [Aug-Nov 07]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I have UTV and am not happy
    UTV all the way and flying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭tech

I have BT and am not happy
    the static Ip costs 3.5 per month ;(

With digiweb on 5mb package. Here is a speed test

http://www.speedtest.net/result/186699333.png

So my advice to anyone in the carlow area to avoid Digiweb metro!!! This is an ongoing problem which I cannot get sorted. They say that it's "contention", First it was my wireless connection. Then I had to plug in to the modem direct. And they could see the speed I was getting. "There isn't anything wrong with that" They said. I can't believe the appalling attitude of the tech support staff, and the customer support staff. If you complain then you are a pain in the ass. That's the impression I get! I said if the problem isn't sorted soon that I would cancel. The smart git in tech support even said "That's fine", and the number for sales is ......." This company is a complete joke! AVOID DIGIWEB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I have NTL/chorus and am not happy
    NTL seem to have gotten their act together again recently, 3 people in the house are using the connection constantly without any issues... I just wish they would increase the download/upload allowance...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Offalycool

I have Irishbroadband ripwave and am not happy
    I Have Ripwave in Galway and its ok. Speed isnt great but its reliable and I can torrent all day, usuualy have to to get anything anyway. Browsing is slow but I'm used to it now, forget about streaming media or realtime online gameing, but for the student who rents and cannot commit to a longterm contract, its fine. I generaly get about 12 to 20 Kbps in Utorrent, and sometines up to 45 / 50 Kbps if im lucky.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 damjen2007

I have Casey Cablesurf and am happy
    I've got BT 2MB BB and I get 512kb download speeds. I live in Kells, Meath and I was getting 1,7MB stable speeds until 2 months ago, now it's gone downhill. I get 1,7 MB speed at 8 in the morning maybe for a few hours. You can see my speedtest result below. I am thinking to get UTV or Digiweb. Any suggestions?

http://www.speedtest.net/result/188472384.png

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭joeirish

FWI, Fast Wireless Internet (fwi.ie) don't seem to be on the list but have several hundred customers in the Tip/Clare areas. They're very good. I'm generally quite pleased after 18 months with them. I'd recommend them to anybody living in this area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

I have NTL/chorus and am not happy
    FWIs site was dead over the couple of days I made the poll so I presumed they'd stopped operating. I'll add them to the bottom of the poll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I have Crossan Cable and am happy
    said no to clearwire in carlow as recently speed is wildly unstable and unreliable and tech people not really bothered.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 294 ✭✭XJR

I have Smart and am not happy
    With smart two years or so now and very hapy - never had a problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I'm with BT. I'm happy with them.

Shame about Youtube and Google videos being REALLY slow in the evenings. It seems like they are throttling them sites. All other sites are fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Shame about Youtube and Google videos being REALLY slow in the evenings. It seems like they are throttling them sites. All other sites are fine.

I would have thought that it's google throttling the bandwidth there. No point in them delivering a full video if you're not gonna look at the whole thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Yeah I dunno man. A few others are reporting this. While other houses near me that have Eircom are fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I have a provider not listed above and am happy
    What about latency/gaming/connection stability?

Not everyone uses their connection to download the latest rip of Hollyoaks.

I've been on Netsource (512/128), IOL(512/128 -> 2M/128), NTL (3M/300 -> 6M/???) and IBB fixed wireless (2M/2M).
    Every single one of them were spikey connections which made playing games painful.
    The packetloss and latency generally originated from hops within the ISP's network in each case.

Does any ISP offer RRDTool/MRTG/Cacti/real-time accurate traffic graphs to their customers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

I have eircom and am not happy
    eircom and pretty happy.

even for games or large downloads. and im very much yet to be capped. *shh

i lose net access about one night per month. for at least a few hours

but ill survive. its usually pretty fast and reliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

eircom last few years and havent decided if im happy!

get disconnected then immediately reconnected about 10 times a night. might be a dodgy cat5 or lan card though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭Goldenquick

I have eircom and am not happy
    I've been with Eircom for 2 years and have never had a problem with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭BleakestH

I have a provider not listed above and am not happy
    I'm with Cablewatch and it works fine, but it doesn't seem to be on your poll. I have IBB, Digiweb and Eircom in the past, the two former were completely worthless but Eircom were ok, aside from the crappy CS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I have BT and am happy
    Very surprised at Three's results, I mean, 3 people are happy with it??? I was expecting a landslide of unhappiness! I voted 3 and not happy obviously!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

I have Smart and am not happy
    Have Smart at home and am very happy - great speeds, good customer service - it just plain works and then some...

Use 3 on the phone - complete opposite - crap service, bad support and just doesn't do what it says on the tin :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bigdawg

I have Three (3) and am not happy
    3 and happy.

Speed excellent, doesnt go down.

Had initial problems loading the software onto my laptop. Their help desk sorted me out. It doesnt matter to me that it is located in Bangalore or wherever, once they are tech savvy and can fix the problem - which they did. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

I have Vodafone and am happy
    I am wih UTV for years. Well since just about when they started.

The actual service is very good, 2.6m from a 3m connection.

But they hammered me very badly twice in the past for over-usage. That and the fact that they have become very expensive means they get a 'not happy' from me. They have no 24 hr support and the support guys are not what they used to be.

Am leaving them now, but I may regret this.

Boopolo

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mrplop

I'm with Ice Broadband and I hope a meteor falls on their offices.
    Come the revolution...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Dub-Dub

I'm moving back to Ireland at the end of the month from Japan having been here for more that 20 years . I'm under the impression from this poll that Ireland lacks a proper Internet Service leaving me with only a choice between BT or Eircom, reminds me of the days when people in Dublin (my family) used to have toilets in the back yard not to mention the news bog paper. Ridiculous to hear and read that we pay thru the nose for a connection called a "New Whooping 8 meg from a sales person when in fact and taking into account the down time and no service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭maninaskirt

I'm another unhappy ICE " broadband " customer, terrible service, they don't answer the phone, reply to emails or many many voicemails.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Dub-Dub

Just read this in today's Independent

http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/

If they sold the copper wire for scrap that would pay for at least double the speed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

eircom seems expensive. 60.99 euros/month line rental inc. 2mb line.

digiweb is 29.95, wireless, 2mb line??

Am I missing something here.

By the by, I live in Navan, and it seems Digiweb is the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

Nova networks ... only guys who would cover me in Bishopstown Cork ... perfect service too ....the people working there seem sound ... would totally recommend them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

I'm another unhappy ICE " broadband " customer, terrible service, they don't answer the phone, reply to emails or many many voicemails.........

I used to do cold calling selling bb for ICE .. they outsource everything .. including customer service .. you haven't a hope in getting through! they are like the ryan air of broadband

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭madmarco245

Eircom - despite all the negativity, the service has been very reliable with me. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement