Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Providers Poll [Aug-Nov 07]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭bb27

Don't see homevision, new entrant making lots of noise around parts of Duiblin about brilliant packages.
    I have it and can only advise everyone to stay well away from this....complete disaster!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 hashbandit

used to be with digiweb worst service I've ever experienced and never again. About 8mths ago switched to IBB 3MB and the serivice has been excellent, I've had no disruption to service its always pretty damn close to 3MB downloads/uploads and my ping to UK servers can be anything from a massive 15-25 never any higher, usually 20-40 on european servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hong9651

clearwire sucks. poor performance with even worse service. they will keep charging on your credit card after you cancelled the contract until one day you find out. cheaters!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I have O2 and am not happy
    Time for new polls soon?

I suggest you split by categories and that people post their package speed and worst, typical 7pm to 9pm speed and best speeds (pick a same speed test server for everyone or set up one that only logged in Boards.ie users can use) and worst, typical (7pm to 9pm) and best ping to ftp.heanet.ie, with instructions how to do these tests, showing best, average and worst for 20 pings (so as to see jitter, evil for VOIP and gamers).

Categories for Performance poll and reports

Middleband:
    Mobile (Meteor, O2, Vodaphone, "3", Digiweb)
    Nomadic/Basic (IBB Ripwave, Clearwire, Ice, Lastmile)

Broadband:
    Fixed Wireless (IBB Breeze and all not in categories above)

Ordinary DSL (Bitstream resellers and eircom retail)
    LLU DSL (Magnet, Smart, BT etc but LLU only)

Cable(caseyvision, UPC etc)

Fibre

Other:
    Two Way Satellite (Note Digiweb provided to Schools is different to Digiweb retail, different satellite, so should be separate poll entry, NBS/Crosscountry, eircom, etc)

Narrowband
    Dialup (ISDN, analogue, one way Satellite, eircom Wireless loop dialup)

Instructions for people so they can identify what kind of service they have as BT, Magnet, IBB, Digiweb, eircom, Smart etc have different kinds of services. It's no use people saying the BB from XYZ corp is rubbish if XYZ corp has 6 different systems unless we know which one it was and why it was rubbish.

maybe a separate Customer Support poll of all suppliers without categories?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

ive got ntl and am happy with the service they give me except when i have to ring them about anything, i dont think i have to explain why.

• Advertisement

This house has a Perlico connection at 1024/128, it was installed by the owner before he let out the place. While the connection is stable I don't particularly like the ping times.

292561528.png

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Onthebus

rav1410 wrote: »
    Net1 got my unhappy vote I'm afraid. Im on 2Mb Broadband and get an average Download speed of a whopping 10kbps.

They ignor all emails and calls asking them why my service is so bad.

send them an email everytime their service is not at the level they advertised / charge you for
    cc yourself on the email then you have them as a record and can print out the long headers if needed

they are in breach of the irish sale of goods and services act

then cancel any payments to them

they will start to take notice then

you have a perfect right not to pay them any money till they supply you with the level of service you are paying for and they are engaging in false advertising

you can also ask them what the contention ratio is on the line (how many people you are sharing with)
    but also ask them how far from the exchange you are and based on that distance what is the maximum bandwidth possible on the phoneline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭bb27

Hi Guys,
    We got stung with Homevision as the exclusive provider to an apartment complex we moved into recently.
    Avoid, avoid, avoid is all I can say. Worst provider by a longshot, their packages don't represent value, especially when they never work to the speeds you've paid for. If they gave it free, it's not value as the broadband & Tv service is forever disrupted and customer service is a complete joke. Funny enough bills always arrive in full on time and I've even been hit with charges for being a week late. I should charge them when their service is so ****e. Seriously and from an unbiased viewpoint I would strongly advisde anyone that's got a choice (unlike me!) to opt for anyone but Homevision.

bb27 wrote: »
    We got stung with Homevision as the exclusive provider to an apartment complex we moved into recently.
    I think the Competition Authority should be investigating things like this.

Eircom - despite all the negativity, the service has been very reliable with me. :)
    ok if you like getting ripped off paying for a crappy service thats the most expensive in the country cool go for it, but if you were with say ntl or even the next best you will save 50% on your bills , its a no brainer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭madmarco245

almanu wrote: »
    ok if you like getting ripped off paying for a crappy service thats the most expensive in the country cool go for it, but if you were with say ntl or even the next best you will save 50% on your bills , its a no brainer
    Well, all I can say is that my service has been excellent and, at the end of the day that's most important to me. The cheapest isn't always the best when it comes to broadband. I certainly won't be considering NTL/UPC.

Looking at other posts, everyone has their favourites and their least favourite. It seems to me that there are plenty of people eager to critisise eircom but, if someone happens to be satisfied with their service, they are reluctant to post their experiences here in case they are slagged off.

Well, all I can say is that my service has been excellent and, at the end of the day that's most important to me. The cheapest isn't always the best when it comes to broadband. I certainly won't be considering NTL/UPC.

Looking at other posts, everyone has their favourites and their least favourite. It seems to me that there are plenty of people eager to critisise eircom but, if someone happens to be satisfied with their service, they are reluctant to post their experiences here in case they are slagged off.
    id never slag you off mate for your choice of bband , i hate that crap, its just a few friends have eircom, and A they cant play certain games on line , B it keeps dropping signal, and its way over price and its not quality your paying for so what is your extra money going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭pbirney

I have eircom and am not happy
    id never slag you off mate for your choice of bband , i hate that crap, its just a few friends have eircom, and A they cant play certain games on line , B it keeps dropping signal, and its way over price and its not quality your paying for so what is your extra money going on.

I have a PS3 and a Wii and I never had an issue with online gaming. I suppose there could be a number of reasons why a line drops its signal.

Anyway, I'm happy with my eircom bb service :)

pbirney wrote: »
    I have a PS3 and a Wii and I never had an issue with online gaming. I suppose there could be a number of reasons why a line drops its signal.

Anyway, I'm happy with my eircom bb service :)
    good for you, still every 2 months you could buy a new game with the money you save ,thats all im saying is that ntl is 50% cheaper, but what i will say about eircom is when you ring them you do get a real person with a brain and not i hate to say it a totall idiot with a yes no manual, ie sorry cant answer your simple question its not in the manual, now i know were little britain got the COMPUTER SAYS NO sketch from ,you really have to experiance it to belive it unbeliveable.lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭pbirney

I have eircom and am not happy
    good for you, still every 2 months you could buy a new game with the money you save ,thats all im saying is that ntl is 50% cheaper, but what i will say about eircom is when you ring them you do get a real person with a brain and not i hate to say it a totall idiot with a yes no manual, ie sorry cant answer your simple question its not in the manual, now i know were little britain got the COMPUTER SAYS NO sketch from ,you really have to experiance it to belive it unbeliveable.lol

We'll agree to differ on this. I have looked at the alternatives and, all things considered, I'm quite happy with the service I have.

I've never been one to defend Eircom but I do believe you get what you pay for. Chances are that if you're having problems with Eircom they'd be line sync issues which you'd have with any carrier. I've rarely seen a problem with them.

pbirney wrote: »
    We'll agree to differ on this. I have looked at the alternatives and, all things considered, I'm quite happy with the service I have.
    lol ok fair enough, ive enjoyed our little debate thanx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Whens the next

Yesterday my Perlico situation changed quite unexpectedly. Firstly I noticed my modem assigned a completely different IP address. Now speedtest.net says my ISP is Vodafone Ireland and my DSL connection no longer drops every four hours like it did before. My pings have also dropped, last I checked it was an average of 22ms to boards.ie - still not as good as Eircom's 1 meg and 3 meg packages but still much better than the 40 odd I was getting up to yesterday.

So I suppose Vodafone are phasing out Perlico's back end?

Thought I'd update with my current situation. Moved back to Dublin in September and got 10 meg UPC installed on November 24th after a huge fiasco with Eircom and BT over the screwed up lines on this road. UPC had only just become available so I signed up immediately. I'm glad I did, so far so good. :)
    Pinging www.boards.ie [89.234.66.107] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=59
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=59
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=59
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=59

Ping statistics for 89.234.66.107:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 7ms, Maximum = 10ms, Average = 8ms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

I have Fastnet and am happy
    Hrmm...I would like to go back and recast my vote for 'I have BT and am NOT happy'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 I Louis

Is Eircom good for gaming?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I have a provider not listed above and am not happy
    I Louis wrote: »
    Is Eircom good for gaming?

Depends on the quality of your copper and your ping times. The 7.2 meg packages are pure nonsense for gaming. They have a gamer package, but then again, if your line/copper is bad, that won't help you

/Martin

Marlow wrote: »
    Depends on the quality of your copper and your ping times. The 7.2 meg packages are pure nonsense for gaming. They have a gamer package, but then again, if your line/copper is bad, that won't help you

/Martin
    Is there any way I can test this? I can play counterstrike perfectly at the moment, and the only reason I want to switch is because I'd be able to finally play runescape again (Long story, runescape doesn't work with NTL)

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Is there any way I can test this? I can play counterstrike perfectly at the moment, and the only reason I want to switch is because I'd be able to finally play runescape again (Long story, runescape doesn't work with NTL)

Runescape doesnt work with NTL....really? Why is this?

Rorser wrote: »
    Runescape doesnt work with NTL....really? Why is this?

Well, people using NTL as their ISP cannot play runescape between 6pm-2/3am.

And since I do a lot of botting in runescape, this completely puts over nighting out of the question.

So, hopefully if all is well with Eircom I'll be back playing, sorry I mean cheating, in runescape in no time.

Well, people using NTL as their ISP cannot play runescape between 6pm-2/3am.

And since I do a lot of botting in runescape, this completely puts over nighting out of the question.

So, hopefully if all is well with Eircom I'll be back playing, sorry I mean cheating, in runescape in no time.

That sounds like a problem with contention? Are you sure going to Eircom (which is worse for contention) will solve the problem?

Rorser wrote: »
    That sounds like a problem with contention? Are you sure going to Eircom (which is worse for contention) will solve the problem?

No, Jagex (creators of runescape) updated the game on the 23rd of September, and ever since then people using NTL as their ISP have not been able to play from 6pm-3am.

I've heard from other people that Eircom works perfectly with Runescape, but I amn't going to make the move until a friend of mine verifys this to me in a few days.

No, Jagex (creators of runescape) updated the game on the 23rd of September, and ever since then people using NTL as their ISP have not been able to play from 6pm-3am.

I've heard from other people that Eircom works perfectly with Runescape, but I amn't going to make the move until a friend of mine verifys this to me in a few days.

Have you any idea what the core of the problem is?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Is there going to be another poll?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement