Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to renting

Options
  • 11-08-2007 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I am pretty new to the whole renting game and I think I need some advice. Here is my situation, I moved to Cork City 2 months ago for a job with a six month contract. I got a three month lease in student accommodation over the summer, this ends at the end of the month so I am currently looking for another apartment.

My problem is that the minimum leases that I have come across seem to be for six months, and even these seem rare compared to the one year leases. What I had been thinking of doing was taking a lease on an apartment for six months, and if it happens that my contract isn't extended then I move out after 3 months and then go and find someone to replace me as tenant for the remainder (How I understand it is that if I leave early I am responsible for paying the rent until a replacement tenant is found).

I had been talking to a friend and he advised me not to even mention the likelyhood of leaving early to a landlord until I need to give in my notice for leaving as they would be much less likely to give me the lease in the first place.

So basically what I would like to know is if I can't find a place with a lease for 3 months would this be a sensible option? Also how hard might it be to find a replacement, I don't want to be left paying rent on an apartment I'm not even living in for three months. As I said I am new to all this so forgive my naivity :o .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

You could run into problems with the original letting agent if you sub-let to someone else - there may be something in a contract preventing you from sub-letting.. but it's been a while since I've been in a contracted rental agreement - so I'm not sure what the norm is..

Depending on your needs you could look at renting a room in a house for the remainder of your work contract - and should it be extended further then look at renting an apartment..

Advertisement