Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My 17 month old is an absolute angel........

Options
  • 11-08-2007 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

..........when someone else is looking after him. In fact, the creche he is in are constantly saying what an easy child he is to look after.

I then leave the creche and can't get him into the car because he's stiffening his body and crying and tantruming.

Anyone else experienced this kind of thing? He's really good for his grandparents too but plays up when myself or his Dad are around. We both work full time and spend basically all of our time outside work with him.

Any ideas??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sounds familair my niece who is now 4 (and a half), always got rave reviews in creche and but was/is her fully expressive self at home. Unless I'm there when she reverts to angelic/cute/funny.

Kids ain't stoopid, they know what they can get away with in a particular environment.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I agree with Mike.

We have a son (2.5) who sleeps the night through when he stays with either set of grandparents but wakes nearly every night at home to get into our bed...they know what they can get away with & push the boundaries as far as they will go. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

All sounds very normal. Street angel and home devil, I'm a childminder and I see this a lot. Children will be well behaved for me, happy playing and as soon as a parent collects them they can often play up on them. I've seen it with my own when they were smaller. They're not giving me grief at the moment but we're approaching the teens.:rolleyes:

Children are not stupid, they know who's chain to yank ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,488 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its understandable that having not been with the child all day you feel that you should give him all your attention when he is with you, and are possibly inclined to indulge him a bit to make up for your absence. And as the others have said, children are not slow to pick up on who they can run rings round. He also has one set of 'rules' at nursery and a different set at home, and the company of other children at nursery, then you take him away.

All I can suggest is that you keep these points in mind, try and see it from his point of view, be consistent rather than indulging his every whim, love him and be patient, he will grow out of it. Another point - how 'quickly' do you pick him up? Do you suddenly appear and lift him into the car, in a hurry to get home? Perhaps a bit more relaxed approach, chat to him a bit, look at artwork or toys around the room, say bye to his friends and carers, and quietly lead him out to the car, have a toy in the car - 'look here's teddy waiting for you, shall we put his belt on first, now yours' kind of thing.

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but its easy to lose sight of the obvious with toddlers! :)

Advertisement