Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulver

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Reminds me of Coil. In fact, everything I've heard from Ulver remind me of Coil. Definitely sonic and psychological comrades in arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Got an album there a few weeks ago, hadn't listened to them before. Really great stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Which album did you get Léan?
    John wrote:
    Reminds me of Coil. In fact, everything I've heard from Ulver remind me of Coil. Definitely sonic and psychological comrades in arms.

Yeah, absolutely huge Coil influence in their music, but I think Ulver definetly have their own thing going on aswell, just listening to the whole noir-ish sound of Perdition City, or the album 'Themes From William Blake's The Marriage Of Heaven & Hell' I think they're definetly walking a different path. I suppose there's not that much out there that sounds remotely like this kinda stuff, there's Coil and Ulver, and what else?

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Which album did you get Léan?

Got Blood Inside! A rather random choice ha, was totally blown away by it though.

Good stuff. I wasn't blown away by it myself, infact I thought it was a little iffy compared to some of their other albums. I think if you were blown away by that, you've got a real treat in store for yourself when you check out some of their other stuff. ;)

• Advertisement

Yeah, absolutely huge Coil influence in their music, but I think Ulver definetly have their own thing going on aswell, just listening to the whole noir-ish sound of Perdition City, or the album 'Themes From William Blake's The Marriage Of Heaven & Hell' I think they're definetly walking a different path. I suppose there's not that much out there that sounds remotely like this kinda stuff, there's Coil and Ulver, and what else?

There are lots of artists out there occupying a similar space but not many of them would be as good. Some of Nurse With Wound's stuff would be of a similar quality but most NWW is a completely different kettle of three-eyed fish (think Captain Beefheart being sodomised by Salvadore Dali). However, Soliloquy for Lilith and Salt Marie Celeste might be of interest to you. Some of the artists on the Rune Grammofon label would be like more upbeat takes on this sound (all Norwegians, there's definitely something in the water up there). Aside from them, I have to agree, Coil and Ulver are two stars in a very black sky.

Yeah, Nurse With Wound are a bit... Something. :confused:

I'm not familiar with Soliloquy for Lilith, or Salt Marie Celeste, though I think I've heard of the latter before. I'll have to check them out.

Both are ambient, droney albums. Salt Marie Celeste is just one very long track that sounds like your on a ship, all alone and all is not well. Amazingly good record!

John wrote:
    Both are ambient, droney albums. Salt Marie Celeste is just one very long track that sounds like your on a ship, all alone and all is not well. Amazingly good record!

Looked it up on play.com and the Soliliquy for Lilith has a £37.99 price tag. :D

Might have a look elsewhere for it at some stage. I've got a few things on the "To-buy" list for now though, so it'll definetly have to wait.

You've heard Ulver's Perdition City, haven't you?

I think I've heard it, a friend has all of their stuff and has played it for me so I think I've heard everything now. I still only own Lykantropen Themes.

• Advertisement

Heh, I don't have that album myself.

It's great

Advertisement