Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Text speak on forums like this

• 12-08-2007 1:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Are you an old fogey like me who thinks txtspk on phones is just about tolerable but the work of Lucifer on the internet? Should all those young folk with nippy thumbs get the finger out (so to speak) when they're on the internet and use the keyboard that's in front of them to form actual sentences and spell words which have vowels in them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

text speak should be a bannable offence tbh.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

ur ma!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I have absolutely no problem with people using text speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

KdjaCL wrote:

I'd have made it a hanging offence....

So should posting "your ma". Retards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Aye, it's really annoying. It makes reading posts pretty horrible. There's no need for it, it's not like your limited by the characters you can send or the size of the keyboard you have to type with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Another thing is people posting a huge amount of stuff without using paragraphs.

Posts like that I just ignore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Don't mind it if its only the odd word, but full posts should be bannable offense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

It's against the rules on the forums I mod.

Anyone using text speak should be ashamed of themselves, and that includes on phones. With things like predictive text, it doesn't even make sense to use it, as it's more effort to spell things wrong.

There is no excuse for text speak.

Words cannot describe how much I hate text speak. Why use it on a computer? Why do people use it when they have a full keyboard in front of them? no excuse for it in my opinion. Ban it outright I say:mad:

Zebra3 wrote:
    I'd have made it a hanging offence....

Pfff.. it's yore ma!

I got no problem with text speak in AH, so long as it doesn't take the pi$$ - but I do in other forums..

• Advertisement

It's against the rules on the forums I mod.

Anyone using text speak should be ashamed of themselves, and that includes on phones. With things like predictive text, it doesn't even make sense to use it, as it's more effort to spell things wrong.

There is no excuse for text speak.
    Ashamed of themselves? What the fuck are you talking about?

Here's an excellent excuse for text speak on phones: it takes up less room, so you can fit more information into a single message, thus saving you money.

I write a message and then if it goes a few characters over 1 message (or 2 as the case may be), then I go back over the message and try to cut out some characters.

Sue me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Text speak should be frowned upon, as it rightfully is. It may save the average typist 1 second of their life by leaving out 'superflous' vowels (lousy 'a'), but it means everyone else has to decipher said gibberish, wasting precious seconds.
    Online of course. In text format it can compress messages, but I avoid it where possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Recent post I saw
    wud luv 2, mayb later on. 2 bz 2 boozie these days :o

DaveMcG wrote:
    Ashamed of themselves? What the fuck are you talking about?

Here's an excellent excuse for text speak on phones: it takes up less room, so you can fit more information into a single message, thus saving you money.

I write a message and then if it goes a few characters over 1 message (or 2 as the case may be), then I go back over the message and try to cut out some characters.

Sue me.

If you're not ashamed - then why bother arguing the point? Just let it fly.. or take it to feedback..

**counts 160 characters** :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Irish Wolf wrote:
    If you're not ashamed - then why bother arguing the point? Just let it fly.. or take it to feedback..

**counts 160 characters** :p
    I'm arguing the point because it's b*llocks, that's why! It's irrelevent if I'm ashamed or not, fact is there's a legitimate reason to use text speak in text messages, and so I was merely telling you what it is. In fact that's probably why people started using text speak in the first place.

It's a forum and the thread asked for opinions and I gave mine.......What's the problem?

*also counts characters*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

L337 15 b3773R 1/\/\0

L337 |-|4><0R50R rUL35 7B|-|

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

KdjaCL wrote:

If people keep using it on forums I mod after I've warned them they they will be banned :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

eoin5 wrote:
    L337 15 b3773R 1/\/\0

I heard that too, but I thought it was just a rumour?

• Advertisement

DaveMcG wrote:
    It's a forum and the thread asked for opinions and I gave mine.......What's the problem?

Your opinion is wrong.

Touche!

DaveMcG wrote:
    Touche!

Or not touché? That, is the question. ;)

DaveMcG wrote:
    I'm arguing the point because it's b*llocks, that's why! It's irrelevent if I'm ashamed or not, fact is there's a legitimate reason to use text speak in text messages, and so I was merely telling you what it is. In fact that's probably why people started using text speak in the first place.

*also counts characters*

kthxbi xo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

a slightly dyslexic friend of mine is a whore for using txt spk, it makes for some awful gibberish in sms

kthxbai ..get it right, n00b :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

****it why dont we al just speak old entish, "You must understand, young Hobbit, it takes a long time to say anything in Old Entish. And we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say. "

a-lalla-lalla-rumba-kamanda-lindor-burúme = hill :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

eoin5 wrote:
    L337 15 b3773R 1/\/\0

\/\/()\/\/ 1337 |-|/\>< |\/|/\|\|!

I refuse to respnd to any texts sent in text talk. It's pointless and irritating to read. The arguement that it cuts down on the number of letters in a text is tragically flawed when you see people replacing I with eye.

Anyone who uses it on a forum board should be banned for life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Text speakers deserve to be beaten over the head continuously with a shovel. There is a full keyboard in front of you, use the bloody thing. After Hours I can handle, anywhere else, out with thee!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

maybe pelted with mobile phones? spanked with keyboards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Yea I completely agree with the last 3 posts. You have no reason to type like your missing half your keys unless you actually are missing half your keys, which I highly doubt is the case for many people here. (Im actually missing two keys on this old laptop funnily enough, try and guess which ;) .) With regards to texting I would always use predictive and just type the thing properly, unless as Dave metioned I am just over the character cap for one text in which case I may shorten a to -> 2, yes id rather not pay 9c to send 3 letters and delay delivery time!

I just had the most horrible thought. Imagine if in a few years time text speak replaced the written word as we now know it. Imagine picking up the a novel and it was all in text speak.

Thankfully anyone who uses text speak is an idiot and most of them seem to be barely literate, so reading a sting of words formed into a sentence is far beyond their capabilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

If I had written the AH charter, text speak would be a bannable offence.
    However, it was written before I became a mod here and I'm too lazy to change it.

Constant use of text speak on AH is a bannable offence.
    The user is also open to ridicule (within reason).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 00111110 00100000 01110100 01111000 01110100 01110011 01110000 01101011

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭scitpo

You give out about txt spk here but plenty of you gimps think nothing of throwing in 'tbh', 'qft' and other such **** that means nothing to a normal person.

• Advertisement

I refuse to respnd to any texts sent in text talk. It's pointless and irritating to read. The arguement that it cuts down on the number of letters in a text is tragically flawed when you see people replacing I with eye.

Anyone who uses it on a forum board should be banned for life.
    I don't know anybody who replaces 'I' with 'eye'. Perhaps your friends are idiots?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

Zebra3 wrote:
    Your Mother?
    Wertz wrote:
    01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 00111110 00100000 01110100 01111000 01110100 01110011 01110000 01101011
    Binary doesnt count as text speak :D
    ღ♥xx..WeLcOmE..xxღ♥
    *.♥♥ [ T o ]..♥♥•:**
    *ღ♥•....xx..My..xx ♥♥.•:*
    *ღ♥.[ W o R l D ] *ღ♥.

ღ ι тαкє тнα gυ∂ ωιтн тнα вα∂..ѕмιℓє ωιтн тнα ѕα∂..ℓσνє ωαт ι gαт..и яємємвυя ωαт ι нα∂..αℓωαуѕ fσяgινє..вт иνя fσяgєт.. ιєαяηε∂ fям мч мιѕтακєѕ вυт ηєνєя яєgяєт.. ρєσριє ¢нαиgє, тнιиgѕ gσ ωяσиg..ι נυѕт яємємвυя - ιιfє gσєѕ ση..ღ

**"єνєяутнιηg нαρρєηѕ ƒσя α яєαѕση"**

`♥__вℓøиđ℮š aя℮ ρя℮ттι я℮đнєađš aя℮ šмaят вυт ιт тaк℮š a тяυє вяυи℮тт℮ тø ωιи šøм℮øи℮š н℮aят™

♥♥ lifε ιs aιι αβουτ liviиg foя τнε иigнts γou δοиτ reмembεя ωιτн τнε pεoplε γou ώiιι иεvεr foяgεt... εиjoу εvεryτнιиg γou δo τo τнε fuιι, δаисε as ιf иo oиe ιs ώαtcнίиg, siиg as ιf иo oиe ιs listεиiиg, aиd ιivε εvεяy мoмεиt as ιf iτ ώεяε γouя ιasτ... Thεγ sαγ τнaτ ώhεи γou diε γouя Lifε fLαshεs bεfoяε γouя εγεs, mαkε iτ ώoяth ώaτcнιи!!♥♥

:D robbed from a 16yr old bebo!! now i may only be 3yrs older but I really couldnt be arsed copy & pasting every letter to make up something like that but that is mainly down to me being lazy

But back to the point, I dont think text speak is bad but when people overly do it where it takes you 5mins to understand the sentence that is when I can see why ppl get pi$$ed off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

eamoss wrote:

:D robbed from a 16yr old bebo!!

Ladies and gentlemen, the argument for mass sterilisation. I rest my case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

If someone who would normally post using text-speak posted using the full alphabet I might have to read the entire post to realise they're an idiot.

Text speak serves a useful purpose in making some posts stand out as being a waste of time to read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Text speak is only acceptable if your using mobile phone. Using text speak from a qwerty keyboard should result in your dumb ass being banned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

KdjaCL wrote:

kdjac
    I consider 'tbh' text speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

I consider 'tbh' text speak.
    That's nice dear.

When the Roman Army used abbreviations on standards and notices above condemned criminals (e.g. INRI being a well-known one) where they using text-speak too?

scitpo wrote:
    You give out about txt spk here but plenty of you gimps think nothing of throwing in 'tbh', 'qft' and other such **** that means nothing to a normal person.

we're better than normal people

"TBH" is an acronym.

"r u gng 2 da clb l8r" is text speak.

The bebo quote above is just completely ****ing retarded.

I admit to writing things like "sth" instead of something in a text message, but mostly to save space. My grandparents trying to use text speak is hilarious.
    But never ever on a forum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭scitpo

Talliesin wrote:
    That's nice dear.

When the Roman Army used abbreviations on standards and notices above condemned criminals (e.g. INRI being a well-known one) where they using text-speak too?
    Heres another one for you.
    STFU

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

scitpo wrote:
    Heres another one for you.
    STFU

Behave yourself.

bhv yslf

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

*kicks mordie*