Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Text speak on forums like this

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Beruthiel wrote:
    *kicks mordie*

oh, she wants me...

Terry wrote:
    Indeed.
    Do that again and you will be banned.

Don't ban beruthiel! :0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Talliesin wrote:
    That's nice dear.

When the Roman Army used abbreviations on standards and notices above condemned criminals (e.g. INRI being a well-known one) where they using text-speak too?
    Point taken. Abbreviations are different. Not much different though. tbh, lol, rofl, ftw, irl, afaik et al is complete bollocks to anyone who doesn't read forums. a big string of txt speak on a forum is complete bollocks.

horses for courses

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Talliesin wrote:
    When the Roman Army used abbreviations on standards and notices above condemned criminals (e.g. INRI being a well-known one) where they using text-speak too?
    the letters I and J weren't distinct all that long ago,

Today it could have read JNRJ and it's an acronym, and it wasn't used that often.

Text speak, is even worse that that other abomination of spelling for which I blame Webster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Zebra3 wrote:
    I'd have made it a hanging offence....

So should posting "your ma". Retards.

Agreed, on both counts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭scitpo

Do that again and you will be banned.
    WTF?

DaveMcG wrote:
    I don't know anybody who replaces 'I' with 'eye'. Perhaps your friends are idiots?

I've seen it used on a number of ocassions. No one I know sends me messages in text speak, so I can't really call them idiots. Even if they deserve to be looked upon as such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

scitpo wrote:
    WTF?
    Telling users to STFU is frowned upon.

Please read the charter before posting again.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

i agree totally, it has no place here, it is sometime ok to cut down a character or two from a text if you are right on the limit (eg replace two/to with 2 or replace and with &)

people know not to use text speak with me, whenever they write me a text without vowels i write one back without consonants ;)

eg the above sentence would be :

"eoe o o o ue e ee i e, eee e ie e a e iou oe i ie oe a iou ooa"

they learned their lesson pretty quickly.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

it's more effort to spell things wrong.

Nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

scitpo wrote:
    You give out about txt spk here but plenty of you gimps think nothing of throwing in 'tbh', 'qft' and other such **** that means nothing to a normal person.
    omgwtfbbq?!?! l2p imo tbh. :D

As said, abbreviations. nt txt spk lk dis sht. If you're on the internet for half long enough you pick it up, especially if you're a gamer. /rofling at people repeatidly in game is common :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭scitpo

Whats the difference? They're both bastard shorthands versions of english so get off your high horses you geek ****s.
    I've just served half the board users here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

scitpo BANNED for being a persistent pain in the ass, aggressive, and inciting violence... STFU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I despise textspeak.

Horrible horrible stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Karoma wrote:
    scitpo BANNED for being a persistent pain in the ass, aggressive, and inciting violence... STFU.

\o/ THANK YOU.

:D

txt spk iz gr8... NOT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

uglyjohn wrote:
    i agree totally, it has no place here, it is sometime ok to cut down a character or two from a text if you are right on the limit (eg replace two/to with 2 or replace and with &)

people know not to use text speak with me, whenever they write me a text without vowels i write one back without consonants ;)

eg the above sentence would be :

"eoe o o o ue e ee i e, eee e ie e a e iou oe i ie oe a iou ooa"

they learned their lesson pretty quickly.:D

Ha nice, still alot of effort. I just dont write back. wb - another one for the abreviations list, speaking of which these are nowhere near as bad as txt spk, if you dont understand one a quick google and your set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭insafehands

It's against the rules on the forums I mod.

Anyone using text speak should be ashamed of themselves, and that includes on phones. With things like predictive text, it doesn't even make sense to use it, as it's more effort to spell things wrong.

There is no excuse for text speak.

With a 160 (I think) character limit with text messages, it can make sense in some situations. That said, I'm not a fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

text speak is a major pain to be honest, I can't touch type and still don't use it, a regular saint

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The odd word or two is grand but a whole post of text speak does my head in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

I can't stand text speak even in text messages. I don't understand either how some people feel that using text speak means the rules of capitalisation can be completely ignored. My eyes hurt when they see posts with no capitals when appropriate. It annoys me even more than not using paragraphs annoys me.

I work with people who feel that it's ok to email in text speak and have often wished I could tell them how awful it is to read their emails. Sadly, there's no charter for company emails.

• Advertisement
Advertisement