Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL nightmare

Options
  • 12-08-2007 1:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hi I'm looking for a little advice on what I can do to fix the "little" problem with my DSL connection

I'm in Dublin & have UTV 2mb/256k DSL package for over a year now and I'm totally fed up with all the connection problems

The worst is DSL line drops. It's can be fine for an entire day, then the next day it'll connect/disconnect every 10 minutes all day:mad:

UTV said it was wireless problem, so now all Pc's are wired & that did nothing! , and anyway I can see my linksys DSL status page telling me DSL disconnected or retraining

So I guess the problem is either -

1. ISP (UTV)
    2. Line to the house (Eircom)
    3. Between the point line comes into house and modem (I replaced all splitters & no joy)

I'm at a loss so any suggestion greatly appreciated:)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

jaws104 wrote:
    Hi I'm looking for a little advice on what I can do to fix the "little" problem with my DSL connection

I'm in Dublin & have UTV 2mb/256k DSL package for over a year now and I'm totally fed up with all the connection problems

The worst is DSL line drops. It's can be fine for an entire day, then the next day it'll connect/disconnect every 10 minutes all day:mad:

UTV said it was wireless problem, so now all Pc's are wired & that did nothing! , and anyway I can see my linksys DSL status page telling me DSL disconnected or retraining

1. ISP (UTV)
    3. Between the point line comes into house and modem (I replaced all splitters & no joy)

Have UTV checked your line quality - can you post your line stats here?

What linksys have you got? Have you upgraded to the latest firmware?

Do the drop outs occur with the UTV supplied modem?

Have you always had the 2mb or did you upgrade to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 jaws104

dub45 wrote:
    Have UTV checked your line quality - can you post your line stats here?

What linksys have you got? Have you upgraded to the latest firmware?

Do the drop outs occur with the UTV supplied modem?

Have you always had the 2mb or did you upgrade to it?

I spoke to UTV tech support and they checked and said my line was only rated "pre-qual" for 1mb down even though I have 2mb :confused: Maybe that has something to do with it

I do get full 200kb/s down when it's connected though

They also gave usual spiel about Eircom doing work on lines nothing they can do about it

The modem/routers a WAG54G not supplied by UTV, but i've tried another and same problem- I've also tried lots of different firmwares to no avail

When I first signed on it was 1mb down but shortly got bumped up to 2 ie. didn't upgrade they just increased the speed

It seems to occur more often at the weekend or evening times so maybe a contention thing I dunno

What do you mean by line stats? where would I find these

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Sounds like your line is only good for 1 meg so you may have to downgrade.

Log into your modem and check your line stats (attenuation, SNR/SNM). I'm not sure on the Netgear where in the settings the stats are but look around the menu pages and you'll see them. Then unplug everything from the phone sockets in your house and plug the modem directly in without a filter. Check your stats again to see if they have improved. Post the stats here.

Leave it that way for a while and see if the disconnections keep occuring.
    It's not contention btw.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

jaws104 wrote:
    I spoke to UTV tech support and they checked and said my line was only rated "pre-qual" for 1mb down even though I have 2mb :confused: Maybe that has something to do with it ....

When I first signed on it was 1mb down but shortly got bumped up to 2 ie. didn't upgrade they just increased the speed

I do get full 200kb/s down when it's connected though

UTV should easily be able to diagnose the problem here. If your line only prequals for 1mb then as I understand it it means that it is only barely suitable for the 1mb - UTV should easily be able to tell you this and suggest downgrading to the lower speed which puts far less pressure on the line.
    jaws104 wrote:
    They also gave usual spiel about Eircom doing work on lines nothing they can do about it

The modem/routers a WAG54G not supplied by UTV, but i've tried another and same problem- I've also tried lots of different firmwares to no avail

It seems to occur more often at the weekend or evening times so maybe a contention thing I dunno

What do you mean by line stats? where would I find these

When I was with UTV they used to blame everything on Eircom sad to see that they are still using that lazy excuse:rolleyes:

You can read all about line stats and their impact on speed and connections here:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

and you can find out how to get the line stats from the wag54g here:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.htm#anchor22

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

jaws104 wrote:

1. ISP (UTV)

Don't feel special. A relation of mine was with Eircom, switched to UTV, and the broadband wouldn't work on the line. Eircom told her there wasn't much they could do. Switched back to Eircom and amzingly, the line fault went away and broadband became available.....to a degree. It It can work for hours, then drop. She is then told by Customer Support to 'reset' the modem (everytime) and it can take several hours for the signal to return.

Several techs have visited, but to no avail. It's exasperating, to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 jaws104

Thanks for the responses, very helpful, and for the link to get the line stats:)

Tonight connections been up and down every 10 mins or so btw

Item Value

ADSL Line Type G.DMT

ADSL Line Coding INTERLEAVE

Line Attenuation (Down):51 (Up):30
    Noise Margin (Down):13 (Up):13
    Total Output Power (Down):19 (Up):2

Current Rate DownStr: 1472(K) UpStr: 256(K)
    ADSL Line Status UP

Relative Capacity Occupation (Down):99 (Up):44

FEC(FAST) (Near):0 (Far):0
    FEC(INTERL) (Near):0 (Far):0
    CRC(FAST) (Near):0 (Far):0
    CRC(INTERL) (Near):4 (Far):0
    HEC(FAST) (Near):0 (Far):0
    HEC(INTERL) (Near):0 (Far):0

Showtime last(sec) 306

ADSL_FW_Version ASW_R13_9_38
    ADSL_Board_Type ANNEX_A

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Did you disconnect everything from the line as per my previous post?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That line is performing a bit below-par for 2 mbps. It's only slightly longer than 4 km.

Do as kaizersoze said. It should make a difference.

Advertisement