Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Menlo Castle and the millionaire

Options
  • 12-08-2007 2:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭

Noel Smyth, a multi-millionaire property developer wants to ahem "restore" menlo castle with a penthouse apartment for himself on the top floor, and a restaurant, cafe and art gallery.

Any of you who have been to menlo castle will know that it's one of the most unspoiled spots in the city. The view is amazing on a good day and the ruins of the castle itself are also class.

Anyone who hasn't, please go the next semi-sunny day and make up your own mind.

I can't believe this has gone as far as it has. The attraction of the castle is the unspoiled surroundings, fúck this country for trying to milk every penny out of anything they can.

If you feel like I do, don't sit back idly and let them away with this crap.

City tribune article:
    Millionaire 'happy' after meeting on Castle plans
    The Galway-born multi-millionaire who wants to invest €12m in the restoration of Menlo Castle in exchange for a penthouse apartment (On top of the castle!) has met with the City Manager to discuss the controversial project.

Claddagh born solicitor and property developer Noel Smyth is reportedly happy with how last week's meeting progressed and hopes to be invited to put final proposals to a full meeting of the council in September.

It is now believed the Irish Heritage Council are supporting the restoration.

In a brief statement, the council confirmed that a meeting took place and said that councillors are due to be briefed on the proposal at the next meeting in September.

Mr Smith first proposed in 1998 to fund the restoration of the castle and grounds, on condition that he could retain the top floor.

There was an oral hearing on the plans seven years ago and Compulsory Purchase Orders were issued. However the project did not get off the ground and the condition of the landmark castle has continued to deteriorate further into ruins.

Ir is now estimated to cost €12m to bring the castle to its former glory, with a museum, restaurant, cafe and art gallery, proposed for the first three floors, with picnic areas and a pier earmarked for the grounds.

Cllr Padraig Conneely, who has been a vocal supporter of the project, said it was now time to move the project ahead with haste.

The labour party in Galway West have pushed the restoration plans to be scrapped and want the castle to be preserved in its present state.

The heritage protection group Cairde na Gaillimhe has come out in support of Labour's call that the Menlo Castle and its surroundings be established as a new city park.

Cllr Conneely said the castle currently was too dangerous for anybody to enter it (bull****) yet it was an amenity with amazing potential.

"Menlo Castle is very important, its restoration would turn it into a great landmark for the city and would be of benefit to the people of the city who will have access to the castle and to the grounds. It will become a great attraction for visitors and for the people of Galway, who will be able to access it from the river" said Cllr Conneely.

The castle, the home of the landlord-class Blake family, was destroyed by fire in 1910 with the loss of one life.

People to bother and complain to (besides other boardsies):
    Cllr Conneely, address/telephone here: http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/YourCouncil/CouncilMembers/WestWard/
    Irish Heritage Council: http://www.heritagecouncil.ie/about/staff.html
    County Council Heritage Officer: http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/Heritage/HeritageOfficer/

I can't seem to find much on Cairde na Gaillimhe except an address 3 Fr. Griffin Avenue, Galway

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I like it the way it is now

menlo%20castle.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Looks pretty good already to me. Very good picture you have there.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭lmtduffy

I think they should od what MIchael D suggested and turn the area into a public park,

is there any particular group pushing ofr this I have some very nice pictures of it and the area and would like to pass them on ot such a group if they would help,

heres one,

_16_0137.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

Even though it mightn't sound that great, with the apartment etc, the fact is that it is in a ruinous state, any possibilty of restoration or even preservation as is would be good....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

it's the preservation of a protected structure, we shouldn't have to compromise its integrity to do that. The only thing wrong with the castle is the 1 or 2 graffiti tags on the walls.

Easily removed.

The council all have to vote on it for it to go ahead, they're basically waiting on a report for it. There's no meeting this August, so it'll be September.

So, let all council members know what you think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I think we should knock it and build a Pizza Hut...who doesn't like Pizza!?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

It would be amazing if it was restored, i like the idea of most of the building being open to the public, the grounds should be developed into a City Park as a condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Preserve it,, don't restore it!

galwayrush, you're already free to walk around it, as it is. Go out and see for yourself

As I said, there's no point complaining on here, get on to the people who'll be making the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Why isn't a publicly-funded proposal being made?
    Why must it be left to private enterprise to preserve Irish heritage sites?

• Advertisement

Listen up all, the council vote on this at the next meeting, get onto them please. They don't read boards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I'd love to see it preserved/restored, but not with a fecking penthouse apartment on top of it! :eek:

Would be a great attraction if they did up the so-called 'pier' there - I could do with a nice pint before putting the boat to bed

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

grasshopa wrote:
    Listen up all, the council vote on this at the next meeting, get onto them please. They don't read boards :)

When?
    Where?
    Cameras/camcorders allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

City Hall, College Road. Think meetings usually start at 4 on Mondays. No cameras allowed AFAIK

There's no meetings for the month of August, they're all taking holidays for July and August... lol the bastards. They'll be voting at the next meeting so you need to get on to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

This is very urgent. I have heard from a contact within the council that a vote is indeed going to be called for at next meeting. Please please lobby your councillors. This is so important. Mr. Smyth only has to be using the stairs up to his penthouse apartment for twelve years to be able to claim squatters rights on the entire building. This is a very real concern. There is a rumour that another businessman has offered to do up the stable buildings in return for some square footage for himself too. a dangerous precedent is about to be set if this goes through.
    By the way Smyth has already whinged about having to lay out for an archeology report. That shows how "interested" he really is in the castle.
    One more point, the new outer bypass will pass right in front of the castle. It would be very convenient for the council to have someone in there who will definitely not object. Think about it....

galwaybabe wrote:
    This is very urgent. I have heard from a contact within the council that a vote is indeed going to be called for at next meeting. Please please lobby your councillors. This is so important. Mr. Smyth only has to be using the stairs up to his penthouse apartment for twelve years to be able to claim squatters rights on the entire building. This is a very real concern. There is a rumour that another businessman has offered to do up the stable buildings in return for some square footage for himself too. a dangerous precedent is about to be set if this goes through.
    By the way Smyth has already whinged about having to lay out for an archeology report. That shows how "interested" he really is in the castle.
    One more point, the new outer bypass will pass right in front of the castle. It would be very convenient for the council to have someone in there who will definitely not object. Think about it....

Have ya got a map of that proposed new by-pass? So many people have different opinions of where it's actually going 'It's going there' ... 'No, it's going *there*'

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

JohnCleary wrote:
    Have ya got a map of that proposed new by-pass? So many people have different opinions of where it's actually going 'It's going there' ... 'No, it's going *there*'
    It better go somewhere, but not in front of the Castle.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Man a castle top apartment would RULE.

this guy is a genius

DRakE wrote:
    Man a castle top apartment would RULE.

this guy is a genius

With a nice pier for a big fancy boat. Genius ++ :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement