Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade Advice

Options
  • 12-08-2007 8:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

Hi all im looking to upgrade my PC and have decided that a new motherboard ram and a CPU are the way to go. I had been considering a new GRpahics card but there seems no point atm to getting one which is the advice im getting from everywhere.

My PC is almost 2 years old now and although theres nothing wrong with it i think the cpu is a bit behind due to poor performance in Flight Sim x which is due to the CPU/ram speed.

MY current setup is:
    AMD 64 3700
    2 gig Ram DDR 400
    Asrock 939 Dual SATA

ATI Radeon 1950 XT PCIE

Im looking for something thats at least twice as fast performance wise and available from komplett.ie

So is Dual-Core they way to go now? AMD or intel? (Amd Preffered but the best is also preffered)
    What sorta of ram? Amount etc?

Im not up to date with the hardware so any help is great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

For processors i'd recommend
    Intel Core2Duo E6550
    Intel Core2Duo E6750
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000

Memory
    Corsair TWIN2X 6400
    Corsair Dominator
    OCZ reaper memory is meant ot be good aswell but Komplett don't stock it.

Motherboard
    Something with the P35 chipset for the intel processors I linked
    AM2 boards arent that expensive and you cant really go too far wrong.

It all depends what your budget is really, the AMD chips are good value but the intel chips have better performance.

I posted those Intel chips because they use the new 1333mhz FSB but if your interested in quad the Intel Core2Quad Q6600 is great value at 255 euros imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

For processors i'd recommend
    Intel Core2Duo E6550
    Intel Core2Duo E6750
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000

Memory
    Corsair TWIN2X 6400
    Corsair Dominator
    OCZ reaper memory is meant ot be good aswell but Komplett don't stock it.

Motherboard
    Something with the P35 chipset for the intel processors I linked
    AM2 boards arent that expensive and you cant really go too far wrong.

It all depends what your budget is really, the AMD chips are good value but the intel chips have better performance.

I posted those Intel chips because they use the new 1333mhz FSB but if your interested in quad the Intel Core2Quad Q6600 is great value at 255 euros imo.

ok thanks for that any ideas how much performance boost on average? Think ill go with the AMD 6000 still gotta do a bit of reading up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Check out this gaming benchmark on a big list of cpu's tested.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/cpu-charts-2007,review-2351-14.html

Id say your 3700 would be in the 60fps mark, while the E6550/E6750 will be in the 110fps area.

Personally im going with Intel with my next build,after being a long time fan of amd :o

CC

Bit of a problem with the AMD AM2 motherboards a lot of them seem to support 1 ATA and 4xSATA ive 3 harddrives and 1 DVD drive which is a problem how do i get around that?

http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.aspx?bn=10717

EDIT:
    Nevermind found one
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=329411

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Or if you want you can go with any motherboard, and just throw a IDE conrtroller card into it. That will add 2 more ide chans to the board:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=110632

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice all parts are ordered and on the way i went with the AMD 6000 in the end and the above Asus board with 4 gigs of ram. Should be a considerable improvement.

Advertisement