Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitten problem

Options
  • 12-08-2007 8:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭

My friend got a kitten about a month ago the problem is he doesnt want to let him out till he is neutured so he is in the house all the time, but about a week ago he peeded in a holdall bag and when he saw the bad again he peed again in it , is this terriorty thing or does he need to be let out ,

she is afraid now he might peeing around house any clues what to do for my friend

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

these things happen with kittens occasionally and also adult cats :rolleyes:

http://www.fabcats.org/behaviour/spraying/info.html

I'd advise printing off the attached article for your friend, and keeping the kitten indoors only until neutered :) a small kitten should never be allowed out there are too many dangers out there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Get him vet vet checked just in case.
    It could be a case of having an accident and then still being able to smell it. He will pee in the same spot if he can smell it. URINE OFF is a great spray for getting rid of the scent.
    He should not be let out until he's neutered, if at all. Once he has toys and a litter tray to use he will be fine. He is too small to be out in the big bad world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

The best thing to do is to wash the bag on a high temperature with degergent and keep it away from the cat for a while, at least until the clean detergent smell goes away. Also, have her take her kitten to the litter box when it wakes but and after eating, placing it in the litter box and picking up it's front paw to swipe through the litter.

Also, ask her to check out the cat litter. Is it clean enough? Does it have a strong scent of ammonia from the cat urine? If I use Lidl or Tesco clay cat litter, it needs to be cleaned out at least once a day and totally emptied and disinfected every week. One thing that can help in this case is to put baby powder on the bottom on the litter tray, newpaper on top, and the cat litter on top of that. It seems to help stop the urine from smelling so strongly. I've switched brands now to Husse cat litter (€18 for 20 litres). One 10kg bag of Lidl's would cost €2.99 and last for just under a week, but this one tub lasts for about a month (but I have 2 cats). It clumps properly (unlike the clay I find which breaks up easily) so you don't have to remove as much (still clean out once a day though), and I only have to disinfect it every 2 weeks (It could strech to 3 or 4, but I'm just picky). Helps against smells a bit better too.

All this failing, if he still urinating where he shouldn't, bring him to the vet, as it could be a UTI (urinary tract infection).

Hope this helps! :)

Advertisement