Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pirate Radio In Waterford (and Tramore)

• 12-08-2007 12:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

I was just doing some googling having read about Radio Caroliines one week return to mark the 40 anniversary of its 'offical' ending and started to look for stuff on the local pirate scene.

Something for us oldsters to get slightly nostagic about and some education for the kids!

ABC

WLR

Suirside

and one thats still going apparently http://listen.to/jrri/

Mike.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Very interesting. I see some of those names have gone onto local/national radio!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Oh the memories, I remember abc radio as being a major part of my teen years.
    It was a great station with great music,so much better than bland WLR.
    I wonder how things would have turned out had they got the license instead of WLR. Billy MacCarthy, I dont think so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I was an ABC-er too, proper pop station, not local radio for local people. Which is of course why WLR got the licence.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I used to have an ABC T-shirt (the station, not the band). Wasn't today or yesterday though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

I have a few QSLs from JRRI from back around `91. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

ABC power 104!!

I remember all too well and the battle they had trying to get their license. Beat is pretty much ABC with a facelift. Reaches out to the same crowd. Doesn't really seem that long ago it was gone? It was there when I worked in preachers.. Eek, that was nearly 8 years ago :( Time flies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭jmcc

mike65 wrote:
    I was an ABC-er too, proper pop station, not local radio for local people. Which is of course why WLR got the licence.
    They knew the system I think. ABC was a bit naive in thinking that it would have won the licence.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

My Uncle used to do a Country and Western show on WLR, still working in Radio in tyneside ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I have many fond memories of ABC. I think they were one of the first stations in Ireland to offer streaming radio over the net?

Heh that must be ABC Power 104 not the old station. :)

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I think ABC and ABC Power 104 are different stations. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

ABC oh the memories

They were based in Arundel Square opposite the car park weren't they?

They were above Hers and Sirs then they switched to above Egans for more space, well I imagine they moved for space as they added proper news and storage facilities.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Makes sense the place in Arundel Sq looked tiny

I can still picture the ABC sticker on the window .... and the poor chap sitting in the box opposite collecting money for the car park:eek:

From my research, ABC turned into Beat 102-103 in the end?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

dlofnep wrote:
    It was there when I worked in preachers.. Eek, that was nearly 8 years ago :( Time flies.

Ahh you're still a child.. I worked in Preachers in 93 - 95.. now thats a long time ago!!!! :D

Yeah I remember ABC.. ahh them were the days!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

ABC started in Tramore in March '82, moved to Arundel Square in 85 and to Egans about 18 months later.

The studios above Egans were good - great to work in. If you look up at the top right window even now you can see part of the white desk that the news was compiled at. The main studio was the two windows to the left of that.

ABC was ahead of its time in many ways. First to use FM Stereo in the country, first to use CDs on air, actually tested AM Stereo, had satellite news feeds, NUJ journalist, first to use proper audio processing, and latterly had AM transmitters in Tramore and Wexford and a network of FM transmitters that covered most of counties Waterford and Wexford.

I have tapes of it, and I have to say it beats most of today's bland stations hands down.

I was there; Great days.

A.

Intrigue! Were you just a group.ie or one the crew?

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Intrigue! Were you just a group.ie or one the crew?

Mike.

Nope! I worked there 1983 to 1988!

A.

• Advertisement

Cool! A star in our midst! *Scratches brain to remember who was who*

papa I saw that story though not the local angle.

Mike.

Good to see a crew member posting. :) I called the number on the old ABC website, it rings only once and then blank! Where does it route to, does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 papa

mike65 wrote:

papa I saw that story though not the local angle.

Mike.

"Fossey then worked on a number of stations including Radios Orwell, Hallam, Hereward and Wiltshire, ABC Tramore in Ireland, Riviera Radio from Monte Carlo and the Voice of Peace, an offshore station which broadcast to Israel, where he was known as Rob Scott."

Well the original number was 86571, then in Waterford there was a different number! Which I can't mremember!

But they were 5 digits then, remember that we now have six. I would assume that those numbers are just no longer in use.

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Hissing Sideban

wasn't it 75620 and 75687 for sales?

By the way, there is often confusion over the original ABC from 1982 to 1988 (the hot FM in latter days)and the subsequent 'ABC Power 104' which ran fom late 1985 to 2001.

There were a few staff connections, but they weren't really the same station.

I was involved with th efirst staion from day one, and the early days of the second incarnation (I climbed up th einside of the Jute factory chimney to put up the aerial in 1996!)

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

Well I used to rejoice in the name of Dave Hunt. Presenter from 1982 to about 87 then news till the end, Dec 29, 1988.

Funny to think the original ABC has been gone now for nearly 19 years!

Andy.

Damn right, I still have the final 75 mins on tape.

THE HOT FM....................massive amounts of reverb and out.

Mike.

That wasn't a bad set of jingles - do you remember that the news was BEFORE the top of the hour and ended with a 3-pip time signal?

We used to take great pride in timing that right! Many people reckoned we recorded the news to time it up, but no, it was all read live, up to the second!

No-one does that these days; probably couldn't.

By the way, our other main newsreader was Kerry Graye, now heard nationally on the networked INN news.

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Hissing Sideban

A lot of the studio structure above Egan's pub remained intact last time I checked about a year ago (I snuck up the stairs past the dentists.) There were still old news scripts in the news room, a few tapes in the production studio and some of the furniture and the big window between the record library and main studio! I think it's all locked up now though, since Penneys bought the building - although th eDentist is still operating - he has a right of way through the building!

• Advertisement

alinton I thought the last era of ABC was just a bit too professional sounding.I know why of course but the idea of a 15 min news programme at 12.45 complete with the markets was just a bit too much for me :) and yes the pips were impressive cos I used to time it against the bbc (sad or what?) when they started.

I suspect my most abiding memory of ABC will always be the way Arundel became transmutated into Awondel ;)

Mike.

Advertisement