Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pirate Radio In Waterford (and Tramore)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

I don't really remember the long bulletin, I suspect we only did it for a short while.

It was probably difficult to do with our very limited resources then!

Top professional? Guess thats a compliment!

Cheers

A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

What a twat, nice to see him banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bump for the 20th anniversary. That and the fact those OP links are now dead

This a good site for ABC, net coverage of the others is non exisitent right now.

http://www.abcthehotfm.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭jmcc

alinton wrote: »
    ABC was ahead of its time in many ways. First to use FM Stereo in the country, first to use CDs on air, actually tested AM Stereo, had satellite news feeds, NUJ journalist, first to use proper audio processing, and latterly had AM transmitters in Tramore and Wexford and a network of FM transmitters that covered most of counties Waterford and Wexford.

I have tapes of it, and I have to say it beats most of today's bland stations hands down.

I was there; Great days.
    It would have been interesting to see what ABC would have become had it won the licence. ABC always appeared to be a lot more innovative than other stations and there definitely was room for at least two or three radio stations in Waterford.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Don't forget in the early 80's we also had Suirside radio and Crystal City Sounds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BIG-SLICK-POKER

Is this to do with Zenith Fm on the airwaves ?? Its new on my car stereo is it a pirate station ??

Tis Zenith turning back time (and collars)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

No, not a pirate, Zenith Classic Rock has a temporary licence and will be on air Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays until Feb 22nd.

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭waterford mma

abc power 104 and longwave radio atlantic 252 were the business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

No, not a pirate, Zenith Classic Rock has a temporary licence and will be on air Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays until Feb 22nd.

A.
    had a listen to it, Zenith, sorry to say it doesn't match the magic of the old days of pirates... it seemed very sedate and lacking of energy....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭djsupreme

Haven't been too impressed with zenith, but then I don't think it's particularly targetted at me. The original audio on the ABC Hot FM website is pretty cool though. Love the 80s tunes and the local ads!

In reference to earlier points about ABC/ABC Power 104. There were a few of the lads from the original ABC involved in setting up Power 104, and giving guidance along the way. However, it was ten years on, and Power 104 was targetted at a younger audience than the original ABC.

Although many of the core values were the same from the original. Lots of young people in Waterford were given a bash at doing something they all loved. Some of them were pretty poor, others went on to careers on big stations like Beat. But anyone who came forward was given a shot at it. A lot of the original presenting style of the original ABC was also evident in terms of tight links, no dead air, etc.

Sad part is - legal radio (even with the salary) is never as enjoyable as the pirate days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

99.9 fm everyone :L

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mr Ed

Sully wrote: »
    From my research, ABC turned into Beat 102-103 in the end?

I'm not sure if that's correct Sully as both Beat and ABC Power 104 went head to head for the licence in 2002/03.

Some people who may have been involved with the ABC Power 104 application did take up jobs with Beat but it didn't really turn into it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

A.

I hope it stays on air. Some great stuff there for a late-40s like me.:o:D

Reception's a bit patchy though. Anyone know where the transmitter is located?:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Mr Ed wrote: »
    I'm not sure if that's correct Sully as both Beat and ABC Power 104 went head to head for the licence in 2002/03.

Some people who may have been involved with the ABC Power 104 application did take up jobs with Beat but it didn't really turn into it

Ah okay. I wasn't really sure as I knew some of the lads working there worked with ABC Power so assumed it might have been the case.

The current station I have listened to a small bit but its not really my music taste. Had no reception problems tho Freddie? Listened to it from Tramore to Wexford then tuned out as I was going out of the coverage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

pp_me129 wrote: »

ahh the sweet smell of some hard rock and metal at the weekends... good choice...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Freddie59 wrote: »
    I hope it stays on air. Some great stuff there for a late-40s like me.:o:D

Reception's a bit patchy though. Anyone know where the transmitter is located?:)

103.8FM tx is located on white mountain in Wexford running 2KW

1584AM Stereo TX is located at the studio site on the way to mooncoin

and yes i did say AM Stereo :):)

pp_me129 wrote: »

;);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

mike65 wrote: »
    Bump for the 20th anniversary. That and the fact those OP links are now dead

This a good site for ABC, net coverage of the others is non exisitent right now.

http://www.abcthehotfm.com/

Great site !!! Worked on the Dunmore Road in Waterford from 1982 -1983 ABC was like a breath of fresh air. I remember buying the station t-shirt the day we headed off to the Lisdoon festival in 1983 - would it have been from Cantwells in John Street ?

Yep, Cantwells is now closed.

Advertisement