Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop wont display web page via wireless

• 12-08-2007 1:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

:confused: I have a Dell Inspiron 6400 and allowing Windows to control the wireless adapter. I can connect to the Wireless network in the house (e.g Netopia) and view the router home page at http://192.168.1.254. But I cannot view any webpage (The page cannot be displayed).

The Windows firewall is turned off. I've disabled the Norton Internet Security (Firewall, Auto-Protect etc). I have tried to release and renew the IP adress (successfully). But I am unable to ping any websites. Any suggestions.??

There are 2 other Laptops in the house that are able to connect to the network via wireless and the Internet with no problems. So I don't think its the router. The router is encrypted (WPA) and MAC ID is off.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

The Dell is old and probably win2000. Check your wireless software and odds are that you are connected but not autenticated, hence why you can see the network but not display pages.

Your eircom router WPA-PSK is a TKIP setting and not AES. Bet the other laptops are XP and you just set the PSK key on each.

In the win2000 laptop you must specify if it is AES or a TKIP key. Set the PSK key in the TKIP box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

It's running Windows XP with SP2 (Laptop is only 2 yrs old).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Does it work if you connect it directly via an Ethernet cable i.e. bypassing your wireless setup? Try updating the windows wireless networking application or use the wireless networking application that usually comes with the wireless card instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

Why don't you do something useful instead of the previous suggestions...

Have you got a DNS server set... if you can view the router admin page you are connected to the wireless network successfully. Make sure you have your adapter set to use DHCP and that your router supports this (Pretty much guaranteed it does unless it is switched off.). Run an ipconfig /all and see what DNS servers are set... more than likely it will be set to the address of the router.

Assuming this is ok... see if you can ping google.com... if this is working you should see it resolve to an ip address and return icmp packets.

If this is working... you probably have iexplore set to use a proxy that is not available.

Damien360 wrote:
    The Dell is old and probably win2000. Check your wireless software and odds are that you are connected but not autenticated, hence why you can see the network but not display pages.

Hahaha...

DELL Inspiron 6400's started shipping about 2 years ago and have done so until now

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/inspn_6400?c=ie&l=en&s=dhs&cs=iedhs1

If he is not "authenticated" how would he be seeing the admin page of the router?? Are you talking about his ASDL connection not having an authentication... if so why are the other systems accessing everything correctly??

Stop wasting the guys time with bs responses.

• Advertisement

So if I use an ethernet cable the internet works fine. So it's not Norton/WPA problem.?
    I was unable to ping any websites. I can't remember what the ipconfig returned

batman2000 wrote:
    So if I use an ethernet cable the internet works fine. So it's not Norton/WPA problem.?

Exactly...
    batman2000 wrote:
    I was unable to ping any websites. I can't remember what the ipconfig returned

It sounds like you might have a static ip set with no DNS servers. If you go to your network connections and get the tcp/ip properties of your wireless adapter and post it here or just post the output of ipconfig /all i'll be able to help you a bit better...

sicruise..here is the screenshot you requested. Sorry it took so long....Hope it helps as I am at a loss

I reckon I just figured it out. The Wireless gateway was still trying to use the old 192.168.1.1 and not the new Netopia 192.168.1.254. Went into the Wireless TCP/IP and advanced and edited the gateway. It seems to working. What I cant understand is why the other laptops in the house adjusted automatically and this one didnt. ?

It sounds like you have a static address set on this machine you are having the issue with. I imagine the other systems have DHCP enabled.

• Advertisement

But in the screenshots, it seems to have DHCP enabled and obtain and IP address automatically

Your right. Then I am not sure...

The ip probably needed to be released/renewed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

sicruise wrote:
    Your right. Then I am not sure...

The ip probably needed to be released/renewed.

Hi there. How do you release/renew an IP??

Also, how do you access the default gateway with a view to altering the settings therein??

Thanks.

I actually have a similar problem {or at least it sounds similar} in that I can see my wireless, I can access my router page but shag all else.

Thanks again.

Just try running "ipconfig /renew" from a command prompt.

There are hundreds of things that could be causing what you are saying.

See if you can ping a domain... trying to see if it resolves. If not more than likely a dns issue, which could be resolved easy enough.

sicruise wrote:
    Just try running "ipconfig /renew" from a command prompt.

There are hundreds of things that could be causing what you are saying.

See if you can ping a domain... trying to see if it resolves. If not more than likely a dns issue, which could be resolved easy enough.

Okay then, how do we resolve DNS issues?

I have a DNS issue, MSN Messenger tells me this when I try {and fail} to log into MSN Messenger via my wireless.:mad:

Thanks!:cool:

Assuming your router does have connectivity to the internet... then you can set your dns server to the ip address of your router (depending on model) or else get dns servers from your isp.

I'm going to assume your a windows user under XP...

Go to network connections in control panel and right click on your wireless connection... go to properties then click tcp/ip protocol and properties again. Probably best to set this to pick it all up automatically...

But you said you have access to the router admin section so just set your dns to the same as your default gateway which is the same ip that you connect to for the admin section.

Try that n let me know what happens...

sicruise wrote:
    Assuming your router does have connectivity to the internet... then you can set your dns server to the ip address of your router (depending on model) or else get dns servers from your isp.

I'm going to assume your a windows user under XP...

Go to network connections in control panel and right click on your wireless connection... go to properties then click tcp/ip protocol and properties again. Probably best to set this to pick it all up automatically...

But you said you have access to the router admin section so just set your dns to the same as your default gateway which is the same ip that you connect to for the admin section.

Try that n let me know what happens...

It tells me that the address I have chosen {192.168.0.1} is already in use:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Now there is an IP conflict with another something on my system....;) :eek: :(:(:(

Advertisement