Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alfa 166 chugging on start up

Options
  • 12-08-2007 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭

HI I wonder if anyone can help.

I have an alfa 166 which recently is chugging for about 30 secs on starting, after that it is fine. I have to keep on a bit of gas at this time or else it can cut out. Initially I thought it was dirty petrol but it persisted. Took to a garage who said it was the sparks which they changed (not cheap as it is t-spark I can tell you!).

It is still happening however.

Anyone any ideas?

BTW if after driving for a while I stop and then restart within say a half hour the problem isnt there.

Thanks for your help!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

problem with the automatic choke or the sensor? ...

Is your engine temp gauge working?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Well the answer is in your thread title you own an Alfa what were you thinking. Only messing but it's an opinion of many here. It's possibly that your engine is running a little lean ie not getting enough fuel on startup. Possibly a dodgy MAF sensor. Might be worth removing it and giving it a clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Were the leads changed along with the plugs?

MAF is plausable, try disconnecting it temporarily and see if it makes any difference.

Is the check\service engine light on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

Hi again

I dont think the leads were changed, just the pugs.

And excuse my ignorance, whats the MAF, is this an expensive thing to rectify?

And no service or check light is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

MAF is Mass Air Flow sensor; basically monitors the air intake & adjusts richness of air/fuel mix. They are notorious on Alfas (and others) as they're a dodgey German part (Bosch) & so are prone to failure, now if they only used true Italian components...I digress.

Take a look at This for more info. You're talking EU150 for a new one, but its a DIY job to install.

\Edit; that price is shipped from Alternative Autos in the UK< dunno how much a Delaer here will charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 AndyT

cjt156 wrote:

\Edit; that price is shipped from Alternative Autos in the UK< dunno how much a Delaer here will charge.

300 euro plus from main dealer. 10 minutes to replace by anyone with passing knowledge of a spanner.
    Beware the cheap ones for sale on ebay, they'll last as long as it takes to deliver one to you. There's nothing wrong with the Bosch ones.

Generally MAF failure is noticeable under acceleration, if you have a flat spot between 2 & 3K revs when accelerating you should suspect the MAF.

Advertisement