Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cat flea problem - has anyone tried Program?

Options
  • 12-08-2007 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on getting rid of cat fleas? I tried Advantage, it worked on one of my cats for two weeks and had no effect on the other (and yes, I made sure it got on the skin and the base of the neck where they can't lick). I also doused the house with two cans of Bob Martin flea spray, which I think was more toxic for me than the fleas, as the fleas didn't die!

I've recently tried a natural alternative - Petvital Vermix drops from Canina, but these have led to severe dandruff on my cats. :( I'm going to try Diatamous earth on the house, to see if I can dehydrate the annoying pests, but I need to treat my cats as well. I've heard great reviews about Program - a flea "birth control" for cats - the fleas will still bite, but they can't reproduce, and thus will end the life cycle and spread within about 6 months (as any eggs or larva in the capret can mature if potentionally missed). However, I've rang a few vets in Wicklow, and no one seems to stock it! Can anyone suggest a vet that stocks it, or any alternatives? I tried to email the manufacturer (Novartis), but they haven't replied.

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

We used to use it in Holland when we lived there, but were also unable to find it here in Ireland when we moved here. Can't think why. The only snag with it was that it had to be administered mixed in with food, so if you're cats were in any way fussy eaters it could be a bit of a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,572 ✭✭✭✭looksee

We have just had a cat flea infestation for the first time in having cats. I have spent over 2 weeks washing bedding, spraying carpets and furniture (Acclaim, its €25 a tin but it works, unlike the cheaper ones), I'm on the second can of spray, and vacuuming over and over, every day. The cat has been de-flead twice.

Yesterday and today we didn't have any recurrances - the fleas had been getting smaller and feebler, but still able to bite, and as both my daughter and I are allergic to the bites there is no doubt about whether they have gone! They can keep hatching out, but are unable to reproduce (as I understand it). Anyway we are keeping our fingers crossed that we have finally got rid of them. The mog is no longer allowed in the bedrooms!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Have you tried Frontline, its not a spot-on but a spray and I've been using it for years and it is very effective. This year we switched to Advantage which is a spot-on defleaer and wormer, effective for just 4 weeks but easier on me with the worming :-). You get those from the vet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Hi - thanks for your help so far. I'll probably try frontline, but only as a last resort. I'm not too keen on using harsh insectisides on my cats, (especially as Advantage didn't work too well) as there are tons on warnings about not getting it on your hands, etc, and my opinion is if I wouldn't feel safe enough to use it on myself why would I use it on my cats? The Program brand sounded a bit safer from all the reviews - all I know now is that I want them gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Hi All - just wanted to let you know I've found Program to buy online from the states! http://www.EntirelyPets.com . For the 12 month supply, it was about $110 USD including shipping. I'll give this a go, along with dousing the house, and hopefully my problems will be a thing of the past!

• Advertisement
Advertisement