Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

C-187

• 12-08-2007 3:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭

This is the latest band from ex - Pestilence, Atheist and Cynic members, featuring Patrick Mameli of Pestilence (guitar), Tony Choy of Atheist/Cynic (bass), Sean Reinert of Cynic (drums) and Tony Jelencovich of Mnemic on vocals. Quite a decent release, strange brew of grooves and jazz influenced sections. Some of the riffs almost have a hip-hop bounce to them. Sample tracks can be found here at their myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/c187band

Discuss.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Jesus... I don't think I could've been more dissapointed.

If I had heard this without knowing who was involved, I wouldn't believe it was anything to do with the guys from Cynic and Pestilence. I've listened to the 3 songs on offer, and honestly the only aspect that I liked at all was the solos. That's it, everything else about the music just didn't do it for me at all.

Maybe I expected too much? The fact is, with Death, Atheist, Pestilence, Cynic, Gordian Knot, Aghora, (Haven't listened to Aeon Spoke) pretty much anything they've been involved in has been absolute fried gold. This C-187 stuff has been, well, generic and uninteresting. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

I'm afraid I agree, sir. How utterly disappointing, considering the combined talent on offer here. Sean Reinert is capable of so much more, as is Tony Choy, and this is the first smudge on either artist's record that I can think of. This appears to be pure mallcore gold, however, and if it lands these folks success, then all credit to them for putting in years of hard work on real music and striking it big with a load of ****e that they could have played eaily at any time, if only to prove a simple point. And if it doesn't do anything, I feel sorry for the amazing musicians who have their name plastered on this release. I just saw Cynic live at Hellfest, and this pales VASTLY in comparison to such genius.

Heh, I was going to use "Genericore" to describe them, but thought it was a bit strong.

I tell you though, one band I'm looking forward to hearing from is Gnostic. Now you might've heard of them before, but a couple of the guys from the band played with Atheist on their recent tours, so definetly kickass musicians. ;)

Listen to the song Isolate Gravity, feckin' awesome **** in the Atheist/Pestilence mould.

Whenever they've got their debut out, I'll be snapping it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

Truly, this Gnostic stuff is excellent, some outstanding rhythm work especially, but the whole package is masterful. Except for the vocals, I don't like hardcore screaming/consitpation grunts very much at all, especially not over this kind of music. If only Mikael Akerfeldt could do vocals for them...

Yeah, I really dislike the hardcore style, so the vocals are definetly the weak link, but meh, when they make music that good, I can just grin and bear it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement