Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trib's Journal

Options
  • 12-08-2007 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭

SHEIKO TIME

Okay I'm starting a journal here so I can keep track of my progress as always and on the slight chance someone could learn something from me, or sheiko.

I'm jumping on the Sheiko bandwagon because: a) it's hard, b) it's different c)i need more volume tolerance, d) other people, both who I know and several IPF lifters got great results from it.

So the first day: (weight x sets x reps)

Bench: 65 x 1 x 5, 77.5 x 2 x 4, 90 x 2 x 3, 97.5 x 5 x 3

Squat: 80 x 1 x 5, 95 x 2 x 5, 110 x 5 x 5

Bench: 65 x 1 x 6, 77.5 x 2 x 6, 85 x 2 x 5, 85 x 1 x planted, 85 x 1 x 6

Flyes and Wide stance GM superset: pink DB's x 5 x 10, 60 x 5 x 5

It took just under 2 hours two complete and the superset was a non-stop giant set with no breaks at all because the gym was closing.

I have scapula problems at the moment so my bench has been pathetic. I didn't even have 2 plates on and I got my ass kicked. On the 85 sets I missed the last rep on the first two sets. The 3rd set I got a big pain in my shoulder - amen for spotters! Took my grip in and blasted out the last set much better.

GM's were very quick, in a rush like I said, more weight next time.
    Squatting was easy. Last week I worked up to 170 x 3 in briefs followed by 110 x 3 x8(10 on the last set) so today's squats were no bother.
    Hips were at me so took my stance in and immediately, less hip pain, more squat speed!

So my introduction to sheiko - good craic.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Another headcase...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

I'm starting to think so too...

Was at the physio for my shoulder so I had to drop the inclines today, which were 5 x 5. Today was still a daunting prospect though.

Sumo DL: 70 x 5, 100 x 5, briefs on: 120 x 2 x 5, 140 x 2 x 4, 150 x 4 x 3

Thick 1 Board: 80 x 6 x 4

Below the Knee Rack Pull: 70 x 5, 100 x 5, 120 x 2 x5, 140 x 2 x 4, 150 x 4 x 3
    I forgot that I didn't have my belt on until after I'd done the 140's, ooops.

Lunges: 20, 25, 30, 35, 40kg x 5 x 5

Rope Crunches: 3 x 10
    Curls: 3 x 10

A few very slow and deliberate cable rows too.

Board Press was very quick and very light but I didn't want to aggravate the shoulder.

Got the hang of the briefs today. They're nice and loose now.
    There's definitely a sweet spot for the starting point.
    Hit it just right and you can practically powerclean the bar up! Great craic altogether.

This took 2 1/2 hours. Then it rained....again.

Nice going. Looked pretty brutal...

Are you using the % of your board max or your full range??

Tbh I'm just doing what ever doesn't hurt.
    This is the only board press in the program at the moment.
    I've to incline again at some stage and OH press twice so I may just switch them to board press depending on the injury's progress and bump up the weight.

tribulus wrote:
    Tbh I'm just doing what ever doesn't hurt.
    This is the only board press in the program at the moment.
    I've to incline again at some stage and OH press twice so I may just switch them to board press depending on the injury's progress and bump up the weight.

Good call tbh.

If you can do it without your shoulder hurting I'd say go with some sheiko-esque percentages from elsewhere in the program (maybe 75% 2x3 80% 5x3 top sets on one day) since there aren't any for the OH press and incline right? and use your estimated board max.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭walt0r

wheres the link for the program? The one I have is only 4 weeks long...?

They're all 4 weeks long.

Go to Eric Talmants log on elitefts.com and you'll find them all, I'm doing #37.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭walt0r

thx hun

Okay so I was in correspondence with a guy who knows his sheiko (totalled over 1700 @165) and asked about my injury and dropping bench stuff from my program, here's his response:

"These types of questions are very tough to answer, because all too often I am guilty of "do as I say and not what I do". However, this is because I know myself and my body better than anyone else's.

So, I will just be honest and tell you that if I were you and had the scapula/rotator cuff problems as you do, I would *probably* do as much of the program as I could bear, and substitute (as you suggested) the other exercises that are easier on the shoulders ONLY IF I had a big competition coming up.

However, if you DO NOT have a big competition coming up, I would advise you to fully recover where needed, and focus on squat and deadlift work as you also suggested. I am speaking from plenty of experience on the subject, so please take what I say seriously."

I'm not competing again until January so I'm going to listen to him and drop it all, not that I want to. Sheiko isn't really something you should personalize that much so I was thinking of stopping it but a) I'm sticking to the rest of it just as planned and b) i can keep the overall volume roughly similiar by using lots of row variations which will help out the injury as well.

So instead of the big nasty bench pyramid today I subbed in face pulls, rear delt fly's, CS rows and db raises.

CS Row: 60 x 5 x 10 - pause at top
    DB Raises: 25 x 5 x 10

Rear Delt Fly: 5 x 12
    Face Pulls: 4 x 15

Sq: 60 x 5, 85 x 5, 105 x 2 x 4, 120 x 2 x 3, 130 x 5 x 3.

Tate Presses: 30 x 5 x 10
    Curls: 2 x 10
    Hammer Curls 2 x 12

Back Ex: 5 x 5

Physio Work:
    One leg squat with opposite arm cable row: 3 x 8
    One leg squat with DB Row 3 x 10
    Press Ups with overreach: 3 x 10

2 1/2 hours....hungry.

Squats were pretty easy, some 3 plates a side next week. 130 was supposed to be 127.5 but trying to find those damn 1.25 plates is too much of a pain.

Sq: 85 x 5, 105 x 2 x 4, 120 x 2 x 3, 140 x 5 x 2

Would have been: bench, OH press, flyes was...

Cable Row: 60 x 6 x 12 with pause at top and retract hard!
    Rear flyes: 6 x 12

Face Pulls: 6 x12
    CS Row: 80 x 4 x 10 with pause at top.

Sq: 85 x 3, 100 x 3, 115 x 4 x 3
    GM: 80 x 5 x 5

Curls and Pushdowns in one continuous superset: 4 x 10, 4 x 10

Physio work:

One leg squat with opposite arm cable row: 3 x 8
    Lat. PD with squat: 3 x 10
    Elevated pressups with overreach: 3 x 12 (hard)

Burger king needed badly after this. Have videos of the squats on the way, they were a bit borderline depth wise for my liking but weren't too hard.

All of them beltless except for the 140's. GM's were good too.

• Advertisement

Nice going. I was wondering how Sheiko's treating you!!

See the results from the Power Station meet?? Sam Byrd 1050 squat at 198. Unbelievable.

Hanley wrote:
    Nice going. I was wondering how Sheiko's treating you!!

See the results from the Power Station meet?? Sam Byrd 1050 squat at 198. Unbelievable.

And in a non-canvas suit! Titan ftw huh. Was hoping Kroc would have a good meet and Aichs too but aww well. What's with all the bombing, is it ridiculous openers or can they just not handle the gear?

Sheiko's going well so far. I'm knackered from it and constantly hungry which is good but I have a feeling if i was able to bench it would be a lot worse.

tribulus wrote:
    And in a non-canvas suit! Titan ftw huh. Was hoping Kroc would have a good meet and Aichs too but aww well. What's with all the bombing, is it ridiculous openers or can they just not handle the gear?

Yeh, justin hurley did 410 a bit high at 82.5 in one too i think in the gym.

I think it's cos the judging was strict. One from each fed... IPF cat 3, APF and IPA.

There was ALOT of bombs alright. It didn't even look like Kroc's straps were on him..?

They were way loose, was that even his own suit? Maybe his blew out or something and he had to take an SHW's!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1prWujbKxjk 1st set

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SNI_LitR_a0&mode=user&search= 4th set

http://youtube.com/watch?v=K3lpyCNVRhk&mode=user&search= 5th set

Now tell me... what exactly was "close" about them???????

Looked realy sharp and very easy dude.

Ah I'm just being a bit whey and ipf about them :p

Training Yesterday:

DL: 70 x 5, 100 x 4, 120 x 2 x 4, 140 x 4 x 4

NG Lat. PD: 50 x 5 x 10 with pause at bottom

Face Pulls: 5 x 12

Cable Row: 60 x 5 x 12

DL: 70 x 5, 100 x 4, 120 x 4, 140 x 2 x 3, 150 x 5 x 3

Lunges: 30kg x 5 x 5

Physio Work:
    LPD with squat: 3 x 10
    Highly elevated pressups with pause: 3 x 12
    Stretches.

Have videos of a couple of them that I'll get up when I'm home, they were pretty quick even if the weight was fairly light. My belt was annoying me couldn't get it right so i put it back to the notches i use for squatting and just didn't close the lever and it was okay then.

Doing 67reps of deadlifts is not on. The second round was only supposed to be to the knees but lockout is the hard part so it made sense to do full ROM. Sheiko just got very hard.

Sq: 85 x 4, 105 x 2 x 4, 120 x 2 x 3, 130 x 6 x 3

Facepulls: 4 x 12
    Rear flyes: 4 x 12

Skullcrushers: 35 x 2 x 10, pain so switched to
    Tate Presses: 30 x 3 x 10

Sq: 85 x 3, 100 x 3, 115 x 4 x 2.

Ran out of time so no hypers or physio work. Working on the weekends is limiting me too much in training time. I can't have that so I'm quitting.

Same thing again today, had lots of pressing to do which was subbed for row type stuff but ran out of time at the end.

Sq: 60 x 5, 85 x 5, 105 x 2 x 4, 120 x 2 x 3, 140 x 5 x 3(belt on)

Rear Flyes: 6 x 12

NG Facepulls: 20 x 3 x 15, 25 x 3 x 12

Sq: 80 x 5, 95 x 5, 110 x 5 x 5

GM: 60 x 5 x 5

Didn't have time for rowing/physio work, at least i got the money exercises in though. Rolled the beejaysus out of everything before i squatted which meant the 140's were good, but the second round the hips tightened up again so i digged a 10kg plate into my legs to try and help a bit.

Normal stance GM's this time, feel it more in my hams and hips were sore.

I also benched a whopping 50kg superquick for 6 today with no pain, then followed that great strength feat with OH pressing a 20kg bar for reps!! Lol seriously though the fact I could do that and squat using my normal grip and grip width means I'm slowly getting there, I should have done 105 x 5 x 3 as my top bench sets today....

• Advertisement

DL: 100 x 4, 120 x 4, 140 x 2 x 4, 150 x 4 x 4

Face Pulls: 6 x 12
    Rear Lat. Raises: 6 x 12

Cable Row: 5 x 10
    CS Row: 5 x 10

I was supposed to rack pull bit I was stuck in crunch so decided to just go for it and some more full range pulls. This was a bad idea....

DL:120 x 5, 140 x 2 x 5, 160 x 4 x 4.

Lunges 3 x 5 - had enough at this stage.
    Ab rollouts: forced myself to do the 3 x 10

Hardest day ever. To be exact the 1st round of DL's should have been to the knees and the second below the knee rack pulls but meh whatever, it killed me so it still counted.

I've been working everyday since then with really constrictive hours, so i have to do day 3 of week 3 tomorrow.

That's strong pulling!! Was it with the briefs?

I've been pulling outta a squat rack in TF below my knees. There's a big ass metal step (like an super strong aerobic platform) that I've been using. Nothing similar in crunch you could rig up?

Looking good dude, only a week left now...

Yeah I used the briefs, hips are constantly tight with 2x squatting and lots of sumo volume. Crunch gym users are not as accustomed to guys pulling on spandex tights as the Hercs lads, especially as it was on the floor as the changing rooms are up a flight of stairs then down another two.

Today was supposed to have 2 rounds of benching but again as I couldn't do that and had the physio after it was a fairly short session.

Sq: 80 x 5, 95 x 5, 110 x 2 x 5, 115 x 5 x 4

Facepulls: 6 x 12
    Rear Flyes: 6 x 12
    Cable Row: 6 x 12

Left it at that, squats were easy, smoke show etc.

So then I went to the physio and as usual proceeded to lose half my bodyweight in sweat. Shoulder was finally okay enough to bench.

Did 30 x 8, 30 x 10, 35 x 6. The last set was way harder than i liked but not too bad considering I haven't done *any* form of pressing in nearly 4 weeks. When I'm back into it I'll be pissed if i don't get 40 x 3 x 6 on the DB's.
    Anyway I'm finished with the physio after 8 sessions and I can bench again, sweet.

I've quickly came to the opinion that mobility/prehab/activation/warmup/gpp/whatever you want to call of those things are crucial to a good training program and for longevity. Glute bridges and press-ups and the like aren't going to make you squat or bench huge but how can you hit those weights if you're constantly nursing injuries?

Sq: 60 x 10, 85 x 5, 105 x 4, 120 x 2 x 3, 140 x 2 x 3, 145 x 3 x 2

Speed Bench: 60 x 8 x 3
    Bench: 80 x 3 x 6, 80 x 8, pause last rep of each set

Sq: 60 x 10, 80 x 5, 95 x 5, 110 x 2 x 3, 125 x 4 x2

GM: 80 x 2 x 5, 60 x 3 x 5
    Dips: 5 x 5

Curls: 4 x 10
    Lat. raises: 4 x 10

Bit of scap work.
    All squats beltless except for 140+145.

I can always tell how good/bad i'm feeling when I take the bar out. 120 felt heavy. 140 felt like 180, uuugh. Squatting two days in a row sucks.

Benching was great, no pain. I was reading probably the best advice on leg drive I've ever read and put it into practise. Not only did it help the bar speed, it kept my arch and most importantly kept my shoulders driven into the bench. Good stuff. I *really* need to get going on board work but I want to give the shoulder another week or two to chill out.

Two sessions of this left then we'll see how far over 200 I can squat in near full gear.

Excellent work. Good to see you haven't lost much strength off the bench anyway!!

Did that link you sent me actually help with your leg drive????

I'll have to man up and try it tomorrow. It's really tempting to use like 60kg bar weight with band AND Chains tomorrow!

Yeah I didn't change my set up really just slightly different foot positioning, the key thing was applying it well before it touches for me.

tribulus wrote:
    Yeah I didn't change my set up really just slightly different foot positioning, the key thing was applying it well before it touches for me.

How so... pushing the heels down to get your belly up before touching and THEN driving them down hard and trying to push yourself up the bench?

Pretty much as it said yeah. I'm not claiming to get the amount Luyando does! but I've definitely improved it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement