Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trib's Journal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Sq: atg beltless shoulder width: 70, 100 x reps, 120 x 3 x 6

Speed pull: 120 x 6 x 1

Rollouts: 3 x 12

Pullthroughs: 2 x 12

Very quick, had to go in between applying anitbodies so had to keep one eye on the clock, which is never good.
    Squats were much better, fairly easy tbh, would have done more if I had of had the time.

Pulls were decent too.
    Pullthroughs chaffed too much so stopped. There's no single D handle so using a double one is very awkward

Mobility: Yoga twist, bent knee twist, scap push ups, wall slides, etc. I should really start adding some "hard" exercises from MM, only doing easy and medium until now.

MP: 50 x 10, 55 x 2 x 8, 55 x 6, pushpress 7 and 8
    DB Bench: 32kg DB x 2 x 10, easy, consider it a deload or something.

Cable Row: roughly, 80 x 2 x 12, 95 x 2 x 10, 110 x 2 x 6
    Lat. raises: 14kg DB x 3 x 8

Rolling Ex: 9kg db x 1 x 15, 14kg db x 2 x 10
    Facepulls: 3 x 12
    ss with
    Pushdowns: 2 x 15

DB Row: 40kg db x 2 x 12
    Strict curls: 30 x 3 x 12 - no shoulder pain, sweet.

Left tricep waaay weaker than right. So is my left delt too. Come to think of it my whole left arm/shoulder is weaker than my right and I wouldn't be surprised in the least if it's down to my right glute being the crappier one and of course the left scapula problems. I guess the obvious solution is some unilateral work.

Mobility: the usual.

Speed Bench: 65 x 8 x 3

Thick 1 Board: 105 x 6, 107.5 x 6, 110 x 6 with reps to spare, bahahahah
    3 Board: 117.5 x 6, 120 x 6, 120 x 6

Chins palms away: 8, 6, 6
    Cable Row: 3 x 10

Facepulls: 4 x 15
    ss with
    Pushdowns: 2 x 20

Curls: 30 or 35 x 4 x 12

Speed bench was silly light. Board work was awesome, last 3 board set was all out but I'm getting confident i'll actually be able to lockout what I can touch. Much tighter today, even kept my shoulders tight and what seemed to be the most important stopped my feet going out at right angles. It felt funny at first and like my arch was less but once you get driving through your heels your chest just pops up really well. Happy with that.

Figured out was causing the shoulder pain on the curls too. And I saw a 280 x 3 squat today, woah.
    Bad news is it doesn't look i'll be able to train early on sundays for the next while which is really sh1t - until my comp cycle anyway in december, booouurns. Still though saturdays are good days.

Mobility: usual

DL: 60, 100, 120, 140, belt, 160 x 3, 180 x 3 x 2 (all convo btw)
    RDL: 145 x 3 x 6

Cable Row: 90 x 3 x 12
    Facepulls: 4 x 15

Swissball thing: 3 x 10

Heard or felt something on the cablerows, hurt a bit but not much, so left it at that.
    DL's were a joke, 2x bodyweight for a severe lack of reps, bleh. The only consolation I'll take from them is that I'm still good for 190 except -4kg bodyweight, does that still count :rolleyes:

So yeah need to make a decision RE: DL stance. Going by today my sumo is probably the same as it, on a good day more I'd say. As I can't rackpull for the timebeing I'm just going to do something fairly simple, which is, pull heavy sumos's.

I'll worry about weaknesses and that malarky when I've actually spent some time under(over) the bar and am no longer weak all over lol. + There's no way I'm wasting my birthday present on a 5kg carryover from some rubbish convo suit!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Ehh looks like a pretty good session. If memory serves right you've never pulled 180 for reps??

And hey, it's 95% of your max for reps still.

• Advertisement

It's not that bad when you think of it that way but they were tough and ugly lifts. I was just hoping for a bit more, anyway all in time I guess.

Gonna contact Ano and the lads about the suit today :)

Mobility: the usual

Bench: worked up to 105 x 3 x 3, this was rubbish, will get to it later.
    DB Bench: 32.5kg Db x 4 x 12

Powershrugs: 100 x 8, 125 x 8, 155 x 3 x 10
    Rolling Ext: 12kg Db x 3 x 15

Lat.raises: 14kg Db x 3 x 10, 8kg x 2 x 12
    EZ Curl: ~40kg x 2 x 10, 8

LPD: 2 x 10
    Pushdowns; 2 x 25

Lat was okay, kept it light but it didn't hurt really. Think it's just a strain.
    Bench was bad. No leg drive, no set up, i feel like a tool saying this but the benches in crunch haven't a patch on a proper ER one.

Having to unrack from the height of a 3 board doesn't help and it means I can't get my sholders set right. I figure even if I can get into hercs for 6-6:30 I've some time to bench then I can leg it upstairs after 7 for other stuff. Can't have crunch hindering my progress.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

What kind of height / weight are you?

Height I'd say 5,11/6 just under 90kg at the moment and feeling very small because of it lol.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

You'd be a giant in the land of BossArky!

• Advertisement

Ahh suck it up ya big wuss!! Seriously, there'll be times when you get a crap bench in competition and it'll throw you off. If you're used to using different equipment it can be easier to adapt and not be thrown off if something isn't what you're used to in comp ya know?

On another note, your dumbbell bench is almost the same as mine. A few weeks ago it would have been better than mine!! Your chest is obviously capable of benching more than you can atm, but something else isn't. Find that and hammer it!!

I hear ya, tbh it's the rack height thing that messes it up the most.

Tri's are definitely the weak point! But everything was crap today.
    Still though I reckon if I can get in there for 6 i've time for the main movements?

Ah yeah deffo, the bench upstairs is really good to press on too if ya need to.

Were you missing at lockout today???

I didn't miss any, they were just horrible everywhere. I had to press the bar out of the rack's myself from roughly 3board height, then try and reset my shoulders (well they weren't set in the first place) then the arch disappeared, basically a BB bench so i should be happy i still managed some reps!

Grinded out the last rep and then my shoulder started acting up because I couldn't keep them retracted so just switched to the DB's.

Tbh I'll be expecting that weight for 5 x 5 next week if the set up is good.

Yeah I've even noticed myself that I can have a 5-10kg drop off in strength so easily if my head isn't in it. It's really frustrating.

I'm gonna squat earlier on saturdays for the next few weeks if you're beching in Hercs then. If not I'm gonna deadlift in there around 4 or 5 on Wedensdays with Ger I'd say.

What's you Military strength like actually? That could be another thing to look at.

It's okay could maybe be a bit more, 60x 3 x 5 is my best of late, so it's a bit less than 60% of flat bench (uuugh ratios). I'll keep them up for a while longer instead of the db presses.

I usually get in for 12:30 on saturdays as that's the earliest I can get in, boardwork day.

Wednesday's I'm going to come in, though the time will vary completely on what my supervisor wants me to do that day so i'm sure the times will overlap somewhat. Final year and training don't go well together.

tribulus wrote:
    Final year and training don't go well together.

Tell me about it....

Training yesterday:

Mobility: usual except I added in some squat to stands as well.

Sq, beltless etc: 60, 80, 100 x reps, 125 x 5 x 5

Rollouts: 3 x 8 but heavier bar

Calf raises: 3 x 10

It's been a sh1t week for training, it happens I guess. At least I got the money exercises in. Squats were tough and not good again. Figured it out though, just pussying out and not sitting back enough.

I think it was just me being overly cautious about my back rounding but tbh i'm much looser in that whole region now so i should just get back to the way i used to squat - which was good and strong! Happy with numbers though, in time i'll expect to rep at 3 plates beltless, 140 x 5 maybe, we'll see.

Abs and back definitely getting stronger, that'll come in handy.
    I slept in my porch last night...

That's nice squattting!!

2ish Board: 110 x 2 x 6, 110 x 5

3ish board: 120 x 2 x 5, 120 x 4

Fecked after them so just pissed about.

Chins: 8, 6
    DB Row with fatass handle: 40kg(supposedly) x 2 x 12

Lat.raises 12.5kg db x 3 x 10
    Some curls

Some powercleans with a proper olybar, only went up to 80 but they were fairly easy.

Got good drive on the boardwork but lost tightness again on some reps. Good session though, hilarity will ensue next week when I will probably attempt to use my shirt Shocked Embarassed

• Advertisement

Sumo: 60, 100, 125 x 3, 155 x 3 x 3

RDL: 147.5 x 8,7,6

Rollouts: 3 x 10

Forgot chalk+ grip was tired from all the benching yesterday so 155's were tougher.

RDL's were good. I thought at first it was only 145 but miscounted due to the feckin imperial plates so good good. I reckon these need to be a staple for a while longer. When these go up, so will my dead.

In between applying 1 and 2 antibodies so didn't have much time. We're also doing a western and a half in one day so I won't have time later, hence a session that Jim Wendler would be proud of.

Didn't mean to train yesterday as I was taking a week off but meh, had the place to ourselves. Didn't go nuts though either.

MP: 50 x 10, 60 x 3 x 8 PB
    DB Floor press: 30kg DB x 4 x 12

Lat.raises: 10kg DB x 3 x 15
    SS of roling ext and curls:

10kg DB x 3 x 15
    18kg DB x 3 x 10

Some chins
    Some cleans @ 70kg

I don't know how good floor presses are for shirted benching but my raw bench was at it's strongest when I did them all the time.
    At the very least it really reminded me how to drive my back into the floor/bench. So I think I'll keep a few lighter sets in for a while.
    PB on the MP's, the benefit of a week off, catching up on sleep and pizza hut!

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/6212 lol, they never were good losers.

Knackered as usual today.

Bench: 60, 80, 100 x reps, shirt on 120 x 2(nearly snapped my wrists), 120 x 1 - dumpsville, touched too low, 120 x 2, better, 120 x 3.

MP: 50 x 3 x 10

Chins palms away: 8, 8, 6, 6
    DB Row: 40kg db x 3 x 15

Lat. raises: 3 x 15, 1 x 12 with I think 10kg db
    Facepulls: 3 x 15

Rolling ext: 2 x 15, 1 x 12 with 12.5 kg db
    Curls: 40kg x 3 x 8

Shirt is reasonably easy to get the hang of once you've good help at hand. Pretty confident I could have hit a non-hard 130 today but kept it the same weight to get used to it. I was asked after the 120 x 3 how it felt, all I could say was "that's f*ckin great craic" lol. It really is fun though I have some lovely marks on my chest now.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/koping_2007/DSCF0700.jpg
    http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/koping_2007/DSCF0701.jpg

Bench setup needs some serious work...again. Can't find the right foot placement, then get no drive which means flat.
    It was also the first time there was a big squat rotation up, that was pretty intense at times but also deadly.

I think 130 woulda been easy with the shirt loose to be honest! I definately see 3 plates with it jacked. Are you gonna train in it for the next few weeks?

Squatting today was cool. The atmosphere really helps when you're so friggin sick!!!

See I dunno, I defintely *want* to but I don't know if thats whats best right now. I've only 9-10 weeks of training left allowing for a week off before hand and sometime in december for my finals, so I think I'll spend the next few weeks really trying to get my technique/set-up better and consistent, which should hopefully help me out anyway when I get back into the shirt.

Got to train in Hercs today, Yeees.

Beltless Sq: 60, 100 x 6, 115 x 3 x 10
    LegPress: 190+sled 12, 230+sled x 2 x 12

Pullthroughs: 3 x 12
    Rollouts: 2 x 12

The workout of champions.

Big Squat PR today, more mentally really than numbers (115 x 3 x 8 back in June at a heavier bodyweight). Started tasting cheeseburger and bile after rep 6 of the last one, knew it would be a big battle. Really happy with how I pushed through it, this is what will get me stronger.

Quad strength is sh1te, I was wondering why they've looked so small recently, more leg presses please.
    This is the leg sessions I did while training for the IPF's and it's what lead me to the 180 squat, so why not do it again!

Hooah.

Was meant to DL yesterday but I was still in bits from Tuesday so just did some physio stuff instead.

Today:

Bench: 60, 80, 100 x reps, 110 x 1, shirt on 120 x 3, 125 x 3, 130 x 1, 135 x 1, 140 x 3 misses, too high, too low, too tired.

MP: 50 x 12, 10, 10
    Chins: 5 x 5

Cable Row: 5 x 12
    Facepulls: 3 x 12

Tatepresses: 15kg DB x 4 x 12
    Rear Laterals: pink DBs x 3 x 8

135 was spot on and was easy. Set up was spot on too, kept my chest up and got some drive. Couldn't hit the right spot on 140+set up was worse and by the 3rd attempt I was wrecked. Failing at 2 board height so I've some things to try to get that better. I might lock the shirt in with a belt next week and see what happens.

My meal afterwards was 1x XL Bacon Double Cheeseburger and 1x Regular Bacon Double Cheeseburger - I pussied out of getting 2 XL's Sad

tribulus wrote: »
    Was meant to DL yesterday but I was still in bits from Tuesday so just did some physio stuff instead.

Today:

Bench: 60, 80, 100 x reps, 110 x 1, shirt on 120 x 3, 125 x 3, 130 x 1, 135 x 1, 140 x 3 misses, too high, too low, too tired.

I was shocked you missed the 140 after seeing how easy the 135 was. I didn't take it cos I thought you were gonna double it. Then like I said with the first 140 I could see as soon as you touched it where the bar was going. I think you woulda got the last one if you were fresh cos you grooved it much better.

I wouldn't be surprised to see you put up 145-150 in the next few weeks.

DL: 60, 100, 140 x 3, 160 x 3 x 3

Chins: 6 x 5
    Facepulls: 3 x 15

Powershrugs: 110 x 15, strapless, 140 x 3 x 15
    Non-chaffing pullthroughs: 2 x 12

Abductor: 3 x 12 with long pauses
    Swissball rollouts with the one leg lift: 3 x 10

Sumo's were crap. Very slow and absolute grinders. I don't know what exactly happened the only thing I can think of is that 6 weeks of DL'ing in briefs certainly didn't help my raw strength, though at the time it was the right thing as I would never have made it through sheiko without them. They'll come back though.

I'm also going to DL heavy every 2nd week and the other week do speed pulls and heavy RDL's. Trying to do all of that each week was killing me.
    I've still time though the DL strength needs to come back sharpish.

Someone left a D handle downstairs so no red thighs. I should have done something less whey than the abductor machine like side lunges or something but I couldn't take the groundfloor of crunch anymore.

• Advertisement

Hanley wrote: »
    I was shocked you missed the 140 after seeing how easy the 135 was. I didn't take it cos I thought you were gonna double it. Then like I said with the first 140 I could see as soon as you touched it where the bar was going. I think you woulda got the last one if you were fresh cos you grooved it much better.

I wouldn't be surprised to see you put up 145-150 in the next few weeks.

Honestly it's too much fun! (aside from the pain). I'd train in it all the time if it worked.

Advertisement