Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trib's Journal

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Ah yeah it's good crack when things are going well. It'll be a completely different beast with the belt on tho. Remind me to jack it comp tight and let you see how crazy that is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Today didn't go to plan at all but a good session never the less.

Floor Press: 60, 80 x reps, 100 x 6, 105 x 6, 5, 3
    Chins palms out: 5 x 6, 1 x 5

Facepulls: 3 x 15
    Dips: 3 x 12

Rolling ext: 2 x 15
    Lat. raises: 10kg DB x 12, 12.5kg DB x 2 x 12

Speed Bench: 60 x 6 x 3

Finally starting to get tight again, it's really just a mental thing. I remember now why I hate dips, they tear up my shoulder and get useless pretty quick unless you've a plate strapped to you.

Worked out a few things on the speed bench. I seem to constantly cock my wrists back and try to get to high on my traps, then when I drive it flattens me out. Feeling more confident about it though.

Your floor press will come back in no time!! I'm really not a fan of dips either.

What did Big B end up pressing??

F*cking absolutely sick display of benching. Aside from a 180 x 2 warm up that might as well have been a speed bench he stuck on the shirt, did 220 two a 2board before hitting a fairly easy 245! (5kg more than his national record he set in July)

THEN he came upstairs, complains about the sh1t bar and bench but does 180 x 3 with another rep or two in the bag as a "back off" set.

Beeeeast.

Nasty stuff. And he's still 2 and a half weeks out.

I've seen him do 200x4.5 upstairs which was just insane.

• Advertisement

Celtic Nations?

Yeah, they're on the 24th in Waterford. I'd love to go but can't get it off work. It's hard to believe I'm only 9 days away now. It's weird, I'm not even nervous. I'm barely even thinking about it. It's like I've just got absolute confidence in the cycle and I've hit everything perfectly so I can just roll up on meet day, hit the attempts I've picked and trained for and not have to worry.

I don't know if that's a good situation to be in tho!!

Waterford WTC is a bit small for a big comp! (if it is big)

That's the sign of a seasoned veteran.

Beltless Sq: 60, 80, 100 x reps, 120 x 3 x 8
    Legpress: sled+200 x 12, 230 x 2 x 12, 240 x 12

Pullthroughs: 3 x 12
    Ab/gripwork: Legraises with no armrests 2 x 10...monkeyboy lol

Beltless work+leg presses = a winning combination.
    Squats are looking strong, have a video of the first set, my battery died after that. 3rd set was a bit messy but okay still.

Haha you big vet you.

Nice work on the squats. Can't wait to see the vid.

• Advertisement

Lolz, you were the one who's been there!!

Squat's look really solid. I'd say you're way happy with them?

Fairly happy yeah, abs of steel and all that...

Today

Bench: 60, 80, 100 110 x reps, shirt on then belt on: no good reps and me pulling the bar down forcing it to touch, belt off: 125 x 2, eeeasy.
    MP's: 60 x 3 x 6 with one or two pushpresses

Chins: 2 x 8, 1 x 7
    Weird Lat Machine: 80 x 4 x 12

Rear laterals: 4 x 12
    Curls: 40 x 2 x 10
    Pushdowns: 30 x 3 x 12

Shoulder is starting to hurt again.
    Locking the shirt in with a belt makes a *world* of difference. You have to be so tight and get your groove spot on other wise the support is crap, it's also very hard to get and maintain an arch. I won't be benching next week as I'll be away, cold do with the break. Looking forward to it, but not to the shopping.

DL: 100 x 8 x 2
    RDL: 100 x 10, 120 x 8, 140 x 8, 150 x 2 x 5

Powershrugs: ~165 x 3 x 12
    Rollouts: 3 x 12 with some one leg holds too.

Shoulder was starting to hurt doing anything so i left out the lat stuff, i was really stinking of ass by this stage anyway.

Figured out the sumo problem, it's a bit embarassing really considering how simple it is. My stance was too narrow and i got no drive off the floor, more like a squat or something. So feet out 'till i'm practically touching the plates and voila! I can drop down between my legs very easily, significantly reduce my ROM and the bar was silly light. Just in time too, my suit will be coming soon and i will be very tempted to try it out next week.

As an edit, I pulled 3 convo singles beltless at over 85% of my known PB(for the shrugs), makes me feel better 'cus it was f*ckin tough!

Bench: 70 x 6 x 3
    Bench: 100 x 6

2 Board: 110 x 5 then my shoulder started hurting so left it there+the bar felt like it weighed an absolute ton, sure sign that the bench needs a break.

DB Row: 50kg db x 4 x 10
    Lat pulldown: 60 x 2 x 10 (chins hurt)

Tate presses: 15kg db x 2 x 12, 17.5kg x 2 x 8
    Rolling extensions: 12.5kg db x 2 x 12

Rear lat. raises: 4 x 12
    Lat. raises: 3 x 10

Hammer curls: 17.5kg db x 2 x 12
    Curls: 2 x 10

Got my V-squatter. It's f*cking ridiculously tight, could only get one strap up, although I did everything without help-which will make it easier. METAL single ply stuff is known for stretching easily with use so hopefully this will be the case as it will be hard to pull sumo in this unless I've a sh|t starting position.

Well up for it today

Sq: 60, 80, 100, 110 x reps 130 x 5 x 5 - pretty huge PB there if you wana call it that.
    These were good, just a couple needed to stay tighter with.

Leg Press: Sled+200 x 12, 240 x 12, 250 x 12, 260 x 12

Pullthroughs: 3 x 12
    One leg bridges: 2 sets
    Hanging leg raises: 3 x 8

Squat is looking strong, once I get used to the centy we'll be looking good. I'd be fairly pissed if I couldn't raw squat 180 now so with wraps and suit I'll set a target of 220.
    Video coming.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=RBenmHs3bfc

These were kinda ugly, I rolled and stretched the crap out of my hips before hand but they hadn't recovered fully from the dl day, hence the tucking.

tribulus wrote: »
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=RBenmHs3bfc

These were kinda ugly, I rolled and stretched the crap out of my hips before hand but they hadn't recovered fully from the dl day, hence the tucking.

Fcukin' hell they're deep. That's some savage squatting there dude.

First day back, Accounting for the Hercs Subtraction, I weighed 89.6kg today, awesome.

DL: 60, 100, 120, 140 x 3, 160 x 2, suit on straps downs: 180 x 1, 200 x 1, straps up: 210 x 1, 220 x miss - had it easily enough, grip went.

Nearly 7pm by then so had to feck off upstairs so didn't get a chance to do any rackpulls or shrugs.

Chuck V Row thing: 80 x 4 x 12
    Cable Row: 4 x 12
    Facepulls: 3 x 12
    Leg Curls: 3 x 12

The pop off this suit is amazing. I got it on okay this time with a bit of dangling in mid air, just needed help with the straps.
    The suit becomes a little prison with the straps up, you really are locked in good.

I have a vid of the 220 miss, there's a few things at play. I couldn't hold my air as i dived for the bar and had to try and get it again which didn't work. The bar also started a bit away from me which meant I had to try and pull it into me and I couldn't get a good grip on the bar because it's so damn hard to get down to it lol. It's a sh1t load of fun though!

It's so f*cking on for January.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=bXVYZrwjmrw

Bah, I'm certain I had it, bar speed looked okay.

I still cannot actually believe how easy that looked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

Hanley wrote: »
    I still cannot actually believe how easy that looked.

Agreed. Savage work, you'll have it next time for sure!!

Thanks guys, get my bench fixed on Friday then I'm off to a flyer.

Training last night:

Bench: 60, 70, 80, 90, 100 x 5
    3 Board: 110 x 2 x 5, 120 x 5, 130 x miss, 130 x 2

DB Floor press: 20kg db x 2 x 15
    DB Row: 40kg bell x 3 x 12, 45kg bell x 2 x 8 Fat handle with NO knurling, very good for the grip.

LPD: 3 x 10
    Lat. raises: 10kg db x 3 x 12

Band pushdowns 2 x ~30, one with an average band (i think) one with a mini. = the mother of all tricep pumps.

Bench was so much better and quicker than before, think i had another 2 or 3 reps in the bag on the last set. Found a foot placement that works and it lets me shuffle my ass up the bench before i start while keeping my shoulders in place, win.

Board work was better too. First 130 i just wasn't focused, wasn't tight, got absolutely nailed, simple as. Was focused on the 2nd one and got out 2 reps. My problem here is that i'm almost trying to anticipate when the bar hits the boards instead of being more aggressive and sinking it in. All round a good session, training in a group or crew makes such a difference.

Forgot to add i did some physio stuff after too, physio stuff+drugs = manageable shoulder...i hope.

Sq: 60, 100 x reps, belt 120 x 3, 140 x 3, wraps 150 x bleh, 150 x 2 x 3

One or two sets of low bow sq with light bands, weird feeling.
    Couple of powercleans too.

That's it, I had planned to take it easy, maybe not that easy but I wasn't really feeling it today.

First wrap set I started doing that really annoying GM at the start thing+my knee caps felt like exploding :o, other 2 sets were much better and from what I remember way too deep lol. Felt heavier than I wanted them too but meh. Have to change the way I squat, can get away with it, even do fairly well raw that way but even with any support like wraps it catches you out. Trust the gear...

I have honestly never felt my hips like I have those box squats. Amazing... Definately gonna keep them in and see where they take me.

I wouldn't worry too much abotu your squat, you're finding out what happens when you start to lift in gear just in time!! You've enogh time to correct it now before nationals like.

And besides... those wraps barely counted they were so loose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

oh so now you "praise" the box squat hanley... bout time :)

oh so now you "praise" the box squat hanley... bout time :)

We'll see... If I pull a big squat PR outta the bag in Wexford then you can rub it in my face ok? Everyone wins... I sqaut big and you get to say "I told you so"!

Speed Bench w/light bands choked at both ends lol:

40 x 6 x 3

DB Press: 30kg x 1 x 15, 38.9kg x 2 x 10
    OH DB Press: 15kg x 3 x 15

Chins palms out: 8, 8, 6, 6
    DB Row: 30kg x 4 x 12

Lat.raises: 3 x 15
    Rolling Ext: 2 x 12

Facepulls: 3 x 15

Band Pushdowns: 2 x ~25 w/light band.

Was going to just use straight weight but one of my training partners was in and already had everything set up so just went with that. Glad I did, speed bench with bands is deadly! And these were good and quick, I'd say maybe 70kg at the top altogether... Shoulder was okay but kept the OH stuff light anyway. Same with the rows, didn't want to wreck my grip for tomorrow, which will involve more bandwork hehehe.

Nice going. I take it you weighed those "35kg" dumbbells?

I wonder if the DE work is actually gonna do anything tho. I''m doing it myself in the hopes it will. I've heard off a few people it'll help off your chest equipped. Fingers crossed they're right!

• Advertisement

Hopefully! It won't do any harm even if it doesn't.

Yep, weighed them, should really call them 40's...
    Actually I think I'll weigh all them from 30-50kg when it's not busy, it's wrecking my head at this stage, nitpicker that I am.

Advertisement