Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starting a new wireless network.. problems..

• 12-08-2007 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Lads & Girls,

I'm staying in a friends house for a week while I sit my final exams and I brought my linksys wireless router with me.

I need to get it set up so I can lock myself away and still access online tutorials etc.

When I plug my laptop directly to the modem, there's no problem getting online. But.. When I plug the modem into the wireless router, Im connecting to the router wirelessly (the laptop can see the linksys network) but cant access any websites.

I've reset the wireless router.. so no security yet. When I go into the linksys admin panel, and refresh the DHCP.. the DNS goes to 192.168.1.1

I've turned everything off and restarted in order but still no luck.

I would plug the router into the modem and the laptop into the router to set things up but I only brought 1 fkn cable.

Any ideas? Its stressing me out. Exams start tomorrow.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

Trotter wrote:
    Lads & Girls,

When I plug my laptop directly to the modem, there's no problem getting online. But.. When I plug the modem into the wireless router, Im connecting to the router but cant access any websites.

So does your Linksys router act as ADSL modem.? If so then your using two modems on the same line and that wont work. You just need to use the Wireless (I presume) Linksys router. Obviously you will need to enter in the appropiate username/password and VCI/VPI settings for your ISP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I've got one of these thats connected to a small black box modem..

linksys-wrt54.gif

Look liks the WAP54G. It's an access point. Here is the manual http://www.isomicro.co.uk/downloads/wap54g_ug.pdf.

According to the manual the Access Point (router) the main page should be 192.168.1.245
    You may have to setup the modem so that the modem knows there is another device (i.e. the router) and set the router to Access point p.22 and to Wireless repeater p.23 of manual (page numbers are the manual numbers and not PDF numbers). If you access the router main page, what does the ''Status'' say. See if the IP is configured to Automatic.
    Does your ISP assign IP address automatically/ static? If it's static you need to change the IP, Gateway and Subnet mask, it should be the same as your modem. Go to ''Basic Setup->LAN''

Just looked for the code on it.. Its a WRT54GS

• Advertisement

No its a different fella... the WRT54GS

Ok so the back of the WRT54GS there is an Internet port, that is an ethernet port use the cable (one provided in the box or any straight through RJ45). Connect that to your modem (e.g.Port1). On the front of the WRT54 check there is an Internet light. If that is green there is an internet connection. You will use 192.168.1.1 to access the Router home page. Go the manual page on 34 and follow the instructions. They straight forward. Not sure if you have followed these..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

First question to ask is who is the ISP? i.e. what connection is your BB: DSL? Cable? Fixed Wireless? Etc?

Yeah tried most of that. Im gonna get a crossover cable tomorrow and see what difference that makes.

Thanks a lot!

While messing around with it (plugged the router into P1 of the wireless.. instead of into "internet") and clicked "show icons for networked UPnP devices".. it started working!

Im not gonna touch it from now.. Im only here a couple of days so fingers crossed it'll hold up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Put the Linksys router in bridge mode and enable wifi. Don't connect anything to the WAN port -- as you seem to have discovered, use one of the other four LAN jacks. Have a similar setup at home.

ethernet wrote:
    Put the Linksys router in bridge mode and enable wifi. Don't connect anything to the WAN port -- as you seem to have discovered, use one of the other four LAN jacks. Have a similar setup at home.

Will give it a shot. My setup there gave up the ghost and went so sketchy I just plugged it all out and will give it another try tomorrow.

Whats the most solid wireless device on the market now? This linksys is driving me mad. It just gives up every so often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Linksys is as solid as they come.

But like ethernet says you need to put one device into bridge mode and let the other handle the connection and dhcp etc.

Of course this is assuming that your 'black box' is a dhcp server. You never gave details of the BB set up.

Advertisement