Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photographs of a Fox

• 12-08-2007 5:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

I've taken this from a photography thread, just thought that you may appreciate it

Well I was out working in my shed when I went outside for a smoke, next thing I knew, there was a fox standing in front of me, at 2:40 PM, I know sounds unbelievable but it happened. So I got my camera and took a few snaps, these are the best of them, hope you enjoy, for the rest of the set try my
    flickr

While I was working on the photo's I got a song stuck in my head, here's what happens when you combine a bored person, a song and 180 RAW files

Foxy Lady

The Morning Fox

1059664876_296138a9d3_b.jpg

Aren't I so damn cute ?

1085381669_8f9eb521be_b.jpg

What ? , does my bum look big ?

1085356991_fb830628a6_b.jpg

There, thats the spot, ohh yeaa?

1085398213_875e27206f_b.jpg

Stretching before hunting is advised

1085417795_c08603cd31_b.jpg

I can see you !

1086321570_55fa5cac21_b.jpg

No threat

1086347018_e3707ed215_b.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Great photos - well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭kensutz

Excellent photos, for some reason I'm drawn to the last photo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

beautiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Hypnotoad

Where you able to get close to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Muineach

I was talking to the neighbours and they had been feeding them, so that explains a lot. For the last shot I managed to get about 15 foot from him, he was quite happy at that distance as there were lots of bushes in between us.

Last night my mother was in the garden and basically got a fright, she looked down and to the left and there was the fox about 2 foot away from her, he stayed still and my mother slowly backed away.

Is this normal behaviour for a fox ? i've seen shows where the "young" are basically told to hide and not to move, but that was in Africa, can't remember the name now, like antelope.

This morning he was down along a fence sitting in the sun, basically licking himself as he warmed up in the sun.

One thing that really suprised me was the fox ability to jump, we have 2 gardens with a 4ft wall in between, so we closed the door to prevent them coming up to the house, well he just jumped over the wall, I was amazed, I've seen dogs try (which is quite funny), the jump was more like a cat than a dog, jumped and landed with all 4 feet on the wall, bloody tree got in between and the fox so no picture :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

We've had foxes coming into our garden for several years now. Last year I got this:

A fox in my garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

how did you get so close? they are great pics. it is very well fed as well!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Brilliantly captured pictures, well done!

I usually just get a glimpse of a fox from the car or scarpering across a field and of course my camera is NEVER to hand!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

Gorgeous photo's of the Fox. Image two and the last one are the best ones I think.

Well Done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭harlem

Those photos are stunning! love the captions too!

We have a little vixen that calls over every even, she's cute as a button, she waits either in the field opposite out house or in the side garden at the same time every evening & when we drive in she sits on the doorstep waiting to be fed!

She's come quite close, she'll eat out of my hand but wouldn't be tame enough for you to pet/touch her.
    We only moved in before xmas, before that I'd never seen a (live) fox up so close.

I was suprised too because our first night in the house when she came over, the neighbours 2 cats came over too and the cat chased the fox off!
    I thought it'd be the other way 'round that the cat would be scared of the fox? she must've marked her territory after that though because I've not seen the cats again but the fox is there every evening :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 googs

**** cool pics man !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭harlem

Here's a pic of the lil fox that visits my garden, such a dote!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Excellent pics!! I've noticed quite a few of them around where I live usually after around 11pm, I think they're great!!:D Is it cruel to feed them tho???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Gridlock wrote: »
    Excellent pics!! I've noticed quite a few of them around where I live usually after around 11pm, I think they're great!!:D Is it cruel to feed them tho???

Personally, I feed them. I have also developed a few "relationships" with foxes over the years. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Muineach

i tend to feed the local fox, I set up a camera so I can check that a fox is eating the food every so often, just to be sure no cats/rats etc. eating it.
    As you can see below in December she looked to have a belly full of cubs/pups
    Then nothing in january, then in februrary she looked fairly rough, but now I can see that she's "filling" out again. I dont feed every day, just when we have chicken/meat leftovers, just so that they wont become reliant on me, I think of it as a treat for them.

December
    december.jpg
    February
    feb.jpg
    march
    mar.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭ianthefox

Wow, those pictures are amazing, Muineach. The video is awesome too.
    Beautiful animals. I've always been attached because of my name ha, and certain Tom McCaughran books growing up. I've never really seen one up close for long though, apart from petting cubs when I was a kid.
    Don't think you're supposed to feed 'em though, for various reason. I'm sure I'd be pretty tempted too if there was one out the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Nice pictures but i don't agree with feeding wild animals like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭gversey

nice pics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

The wife told me that there was an altercation this morning between the magpies and the local fox... they started pulling his tail!

Shame I have no photos...really brave creatures those maggers.

Advertisement