Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staining on Dry Pebble Dashing

Options
  • 12-08-2007 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    I have a problem with red staining appearing on the outside of the house. The walls are drydashed so I am trying to avoid painting if possible. I tried washing with a power hose and bleach. This was somewhat successful but each time I do this I lose some of the dashing. I see the stains on other houses around the area but they are not dry dashed so they paint over them.
    Anybody any suggestions? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Do you know what the cause of the red staining is? Maybe try and fix that first before you wash it off again.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

mad m wrote:
    Do you know what the cause of the red staining is? Maybe try and fix that first before you wash it off again.

Cannot pin it down. I have been told it either :
    1. Algae in the air carried by wind.
    2. Type of sand used
    3. Acid rain.

I was hoping somebody else had seen or heard of this type of problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

What can I say!! But maybe get a clear sealer to go over Dashing,maybe the red staining won't logde into it as much then...Some type of concrete sealer. My Mam has a front brick house, I used a silicone clear sealer to prevent water penetration,it goes on milky white but drys out clear....

Can't remember the name of it but its something like Thompson's water sealer.

mad m wrote:
    What can I say!! But maybe get a clear sealer to go over Dashing,maybe the red staining won't logde into it as much then...Some type of concrete sealer. My Mam has a front brick house, I used a silicone clear sealer to prevent water penetration,it goes on milky white but drys out clear....

Can't remember the name of it but its something like Thompson's water sealer.

Thanks mad m. I googled Thompsons and found some references to the sealer. I will follow this up. Cheers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Finneganjp

You can buy brick cleaner which should strip the stain. However if its the plaster thats the problem a sealer will not help and cleaning it will only be a temp measure.

• Advertisement

Finneganjp wrote:
    You can buy brick cleaner which should strip the stain. However if its the plaster thats the problem a sealer will not help and cleaning it will only be a temp measure.

That's a thought. However I guess if I use a sealer it will eventually prove if the staining is coming out from the plaster or something from outside. :confused:

Advertisement