Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crisis of no faith?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Personally I find it liberating that death is the end. No fear of will I go to heaven or hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Daemonic wrote: »
    Personally I find it liberating that death is the end. No fear of will I go to heaven or hell.

You do realise that in theory the concept of an afterlife does not require a punishment/reward dichotomy, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

Death be not proud, though some have called thee
    Mighty and dreadful, for thou art not so,
    For those whom thou think'st thou dost overthrow,
    Die not, poor Death, nor yet canst thou kill me.
    From rest and sleep, which but thy pictures be,
    Much pleasure: then from thee much more must flow,
    And soonest our best men with thee do go,
    Rest of their bones, and soul's delivery.
    Thou art slave to fate, chance, kings, and desperate men,
    And dost with poison, war, and sickness dwell;
    And poppy or charms can make us sleep as well
    And better than thy stroke; why swell'st thou then?
    One short sleep past, we wake eternally,
    And death shall be no more; Death, thou shalt die.

-- John Donne

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

Zillah wrote: »
    Its not so much that they're you're genes, as opposed to the notion that they've just been using you to survive another generation.

Wow, what a depressing way of looking at it.

My genes are most definitely mine, the unfathomable amount of mutations and selections that needed to happen for me to exist means I deserve them, for better or worse.

Not only are they mine, but I can also choose who to mix my genes with to create a new unique person, with their own unique genes

Ahh... isn't love grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

My genes are most definitely mine, the unfathomable amount of mutations and selections that needed to happen for me to exist means I deserve them, for better or worse.

I'm afraid you genes don't see it that way. And ultimately they are in charge. If you don't want them to win you better kill yourself now.

• Advertisement

Wicknight wrote: »
    I'm afraid you genes don't see it that way. And ultimately they are in charge. If you don't want them to win you better kill yourself now.

That proves my point quite eloquently Wicknight; I can do what I want with my genes, they can't do what they want with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

That proves my point quite eloquently Wicknight; I can do what I want with my genes, they can't do what they want with me.

Well come back to me in 40 years when you have cancer or heart disease ....

Wicknight wrote: »
    Well come back to me in 40 years when you have cancer or heart disease ....

Again, proving my point quite beautifully!

Genetics is a factor in cancer, just like the decision to smoke 20 John Player a day is a factor in lung cancer.

There are lots of factors that make up who we are, genetics is one of them, not all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

i once ordered my genes to mutate so i could turn invisible. they told me to f off. then i asked them a few weeks later nicely, even bought them some choclates and flowers. we came to an arrangement that instead of giving me the ability to be invisible (somewhat like a chammeleon octopus or lizzard) that they would make me able to grow a really sexy beard that no woman could resist. All they asked in return was for me to give up dairy products. win win situation i think.

so what im trying to say is that you treat your genes/body well and it will treat you well. no need to control them or for them to control you as you both co-exist with the same determination to live.

Advertisement