Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Good or bad Deal

Options
  • 12-08-2007 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭

im buying a vw golf 3dr 16v 1.4 99 for 4500 euro i hav checked around for prices and the price seems to be near enough what other cars for the same type are going for.. it has nct till 09 new tires, alloys, t belt done recently i think 80000 miles, (103000 miles on the car now) new clutch and shocks were done for nct..do ye think 4500 is a good price?? also anything i should be lookn out for when buy this car??... it seems in good con and has service history since new.. What ye think??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

from a dealer or private sale?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Golferx

the 1.4 litre VW engine, as fitted in the 1999 Golf is one to be avoided.

Check out http://vagdrivers.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=9173

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Seems a tad bit expensive to me for an 8.5 year old Golf. I would pay €4,000 max pending a mechanics's inspection, also try to verify the service history with the garages that carried out the work.

Things to watch:-
    • Dodgy central locking and electrics.
    • Faulty mass air flow, lambda and throttle body sensors are all known issues.
    • Check that the gearbox is smooth and not clunky when shifting gears as 1.4 litre Golfs are known to have weak gearboxes.
    • Rear light cluster blow bulbs on a regular basis.
    • Rear windscreen wiper motor can develope problems due to lodged water.

Advertisement