Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leaving dog for 6days

Options
  • 12-08-2007 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

ok so im going on hols without my mutt only prob is he freaks out if i leave him for a sec howling and crying,i feel so bad about going what can i do to make it not so bad,he shouldn be lonely with our other dogs but i dont want him to feel like ive abandoned him

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Well, there are a few things you can try.

Does he sleep in the same room as you? If so try to get him out of the room while you sleep, perhaps even with the other dogs. Sleep with a blanket for a few nights that you can give to the dog so that it has your smell on it. Also - do this on a weekend - as you can expect a lot of crying and scratching at the door. The first night - it may be only a couple of hours that you can take without letting him in. Keep building up to perhaps 3 hrs, then 4 hrs, etc, so that maybe he's out between 10-5. Also, shut the door to the living room when you are watching tv - perhaps first for 30 mins, then an hour, etc. Be sure to provide toys for entertainment.

If this isn't working, perhaps you can have a friend look after him while you're gone? Ask the friend to come up a few times and interact with the dog, first with you there, then with you going to other parts of the house, and then with you leaving for a little bit (even if you're only standing in the back garden).

If these aren't options, ask a kennel what may be the best solution for you. They may have very understanding staff and could assist you. Perhaps if you book him for a day in the kennel, come and collect him... then maybe later on book two days (perhaps with another one of your dogs for company as well). Hopefully then he could adjust for your holiday. I hope it's a couple months away so you can prepare!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I take it the dog won't be alone, alone ...as in there is someone (parents, friends) looking after it?

In that case just leave ...no tearful goodbye, no last hugs and cuddles ..just leave as if you would be back in a minute.

(maybe smuggle out the suitcases a few hours previous?)

Advertisement