Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Update me please!

Options
  • 12-08-2007 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭

The last while ive fallen way behind on whats happening in the world of gaming regards to the games coming out etc.

Ive been looking through some of the sites and so far im liking the look of Assasins Creed. Bioshock seems to have gained alot of hype/praise but im not sure if its my type of game. Also ive heard of Crysis on the pc.Gta is a given but i hear its been delayed.

On bioshock its being compared to Deus ex ( my favourite game of all time ) but from what Ive seen it just seems that its like a doom with loads of different ways to kill things. Deus ex had a world where there were hundreds of characters to interact with etc. this game seems like a corridor crawler with invention in the way to kill??

Can anyone tell me more about it or why its compared to deus ex?

I have to say im stuck on dial up connection so I cant view videos or the like its taking long enough to get one page up on ign.

At the moment ive a pc thats capable of playing the likes of oblivion at near full settings, im liking the look of crysis but not sure if my comp will be able to run it and im still debating wether to go for a PS3 or Xbox 360. Id go for Xbox as its cheaper but I love final fantasy and prefer the controller for pro evo.

So basically im looking for any advice or recommendations on games/console choices.All of that malarky.Release dates for the games mentioned would be good too :D (no broadband)

btw I dont own a hd tv, are the new gen consoles playable on small 17" tvs?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Gorilla

Well yes the consoles(360 and PS3) can work on a 17" tv but I think some games only run in 60Hz, don't ask me what it is but I had a portable tv and I was playing Oblivion on the 360 and sometimes the game would freeze apprently because my tv didn't support 60Hz. At least according to a person on a forum I once posted in.

As to which console to go for its hard to tell but all the PS3 has going for it in terms of games is Heavenly Sword(maybe), Gran Turismo, and Final Fantasy. This is coming from a 360 owner though so I'm not fully aware what all the PS3 owners are looking forward to.

You may be able to run Crysis but I'd say to get the best out of it is to use a DX10 gfx card. Of course I don't really have much knowlage in gfx cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Reading through this and this should help you come to a decision.
    I've got a 360 already, so I'm obviously going to show bias towards that, but in all fairness the PS3 has sweet **** all going for it at the moment bar Ninja Gaiden Sigma, and I already own Ninja Gaiden Black...

And yeah, I'd say you'll want to have at least an 8800GTS before thinking about running Crysis at above average settings.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you like Final Fantasy games you are best to go with the xbox 360. Hironobu Sakaguchi has left Squaresoft along with most of the team behind the final fantasy games and is now making games with Mistwalker who produce games exclusively for Microsoft. Square Enix have yet to produce an internally developed game that is halfway decent since he left, including the disappointing and very boring FFXII. Mistwalkers first game, Blue Dragon, is out at the end of the month and is receiving rave reviews and their next game, lost odyssey, looks even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Retr0gamer wrote:
    If you like Final Fantasy games you are best to go with the xbox 360. Hironobu Sakaguchi has left Squaresoft along with most of the team behind the final fantasy games and is now making games with Mistwalker who produce games exclusively for Microsoft. Square Enix have yet to produce an internally developed game that is halfway decent since he left, including the disappointing and very boring FFXII. Mistwalkers first game, Blue Dragon, is out at the end of the month and is receiving rave reviews and their next game, lost odyssey, looks even better.

Thats interesting. I have ff12 thought it was ok but not great. The storyline was terrible....

Whats the deal with the different Xbox bundles? Theres core and elite yeah? One has a 20gb hard drive and one has a 120gb hard drive. What price should I be looking at if I was going for the xbox? Ps3 is very steep still even with the two free games and controller. Although i could change my mind once asassins creed and pes are out on it in a few months...

Also is there any talk of price cuts on either console before the christmas? Im looking at around october/november to purchase one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

there are now 3 xbox bundles...core premium and elite.the core is just the xbox with a wired pad...premium u get a wireless controller 20 gb hdd,headset and elite which is coming out contains 120gb hdd,a black 360 and black accessories

• Advertisement

just read a review of Blue Dragon...ign arent very impressed at all.

Im doubting wether it would be crazy to buy an xbox now when my pc would probably be able to play them games....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

crysis is out september 14th and the spec requirments are high,you need 1.5gb ram and 6gb hard disk :eek: doubt my xps will be able to play this :( also go for a 360 id say!

I read somwhere else that crysis isnt out till november....

I checked up that systemrequirements website but it doesnt seem to check the pc properly anymore just freezes. I know i wont be able to play the game on full settings but im reckoning medium settings.

Im just thinking now is it a waste spending 400 euro on a 360 when my pc can still play the latest games?

whens the 360 elite out? and is there a need for a 160gb hard drive when ive no access to broadband? Any shops doing good deals on the 360?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

joe123 wrote:
    just read a review of Blue Dragon...ign arent very impressed at all.

Metacritic says differently and anyway IGN are the same idiots that gave Godhand a ridiculously low score. I see they also complain about a poor story and then give Dragon Quest and FFXII as examples of games with better stories when both games have very poor stories. IGN went to the dogs a long time ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Metacritic says differently and anyway IGN are the same idiots that gave Godhand a ridiculously low score. I see they also complain about a poor story and then give Dragon Quest and FFXII as examples of games with better stories when both games have very poor stories. IGN went to the dogs a long time ago.

You know, the more I read about the game, the more it seems as it could be disapointing. I am absoloutely loving Dragon Quest at the moment (thanks for the recommendation by the way), but what Ive read about Blue Dragon is that it could be just a strong, but unoriginal JRPG. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but I really don't think it will be as good as the pedigree suggests. There have been some high scores alright, but also some iffy lower ones (the 6 from Edge seems particularly questionable - say what you will about said publication, I still think they review games well).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

This quote should be all you need to make your mind up:
    The significance of BioShock currently being console exclusive to the 360 can't be underestimated. If you don't already own a 360, you'll most certainly find your resolve weakened to breaking point

Assassin's Creed will be out on the 360 as well and as far as I know, whenever its been demoed it was on the 360s hardware and not PS3.
    Also, if you like GTA remember that the downloadable content is exclusive to the 360.

For me it comes down to this:
    If you want a HD disk player of some kind buy the PS3 with its Blu-ray.
    If you want a games console and are not interested in HD movies (which will be available to download from next week on the 360) then buy the 360.

Downloadable content, xbox live all of that is pointless for me broadband STILL isnt available in my area and theres no word of my area getting it at all.

Does the games quality improve at all with a large hard drive ( the elites 120) or is that only for downloadable content to be saved? As i said no point in downloading for me as Im stuck on a dial up....

You know, the more I read about the game, the more it seems as it could be disapointing. I am absoloutely loving Dragon Quest at the moment (thanks for the recommendation by the way), but what Ive read about Blue Dragon is that it could be just a strong, but unoriginal JRPG. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but I really don't think it will be as good as the pedigree suggests. There have been some high scores alright, but also some iffy lower ones (the 6 from Edge seems particularly questionable - say what you will about said publication, I still think they review games well).

I get what you are saying and I agree it will probably be an unoriginal JRPG that won't have a powerful story. However I've been so disappointed with the truly lacklustre games from square-enix lately that I'd lap up anything with the old Sakaguchi era Squaresoft spark in it. That's what I'm hoping for in Blue Dragon. It will be more FF9 than FF7 but I still had an awful lot of fun playing FF9. I'd say lost odyssey will be the game to really look forward to. I find a lot of truly classic RPGs get marked down because they don't have the Squaresoft label while Square games can often get overrated. IGN have been guilty of this in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

joe123 wrote:
    Downloadable content, xbox live all of that is pointless for me broadband STILL isnt available in my area and theres no word of my area getting it at all.

Does the games quality improve at all with a large hard drive ( the elites 120) or is that only for downloadable content to be saved? As i said no point in downloading for me as Im stuck on a dial up....

I read a news report on channel 4s teletext game service and they said microsoft have given the go ahead to delovopers to use the hard drive to improve graphics, and To downgrade graphics if used without a hard drive, if I was you[and I'm in a similer position, looking to get 360 soon,no real chance of being able to get broadband soon] I would get the premium just to be safe

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

if you get a 360 just get a vga cable and you can play it on your pc monitor at higher resolution than your tv would manage

Advertisement