Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

health insurance, travel insurance query

Options
  • 12-08-2007 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

just a quikie. i'm going travelling for a year in september. I know how to get my travel insurance but what about my health insurance in the mean time. Do i need to keep that up...and also if i give it up i loose my waiting periods for previously diagnosed illnesses.

What do people usually do? any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I think you are asking in the wrong place. Ask your health insurer.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭littlesurfer

well of course i asked them....but they said i loose my waiting periods...what i want to know is do people generally keep up their monthly health insurance payments while they are away...sorry if i wasn't clear

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Did you ask your health insurer if the policy would be valid if you spent a year away? If the answer is yes, and if you would lose some of your cover if you suspended your policy for the year, then it might be best to keep your policy going -- perhaps at the cheapest plan available to you.

If your insurer is the VHI, they have a travel policy that takes account of the fact that your health is already insured, and is accordingly cheaper. I don't know about other insurers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

Im assuming because you have a pre-diagnosed illness you may have problems getting new health insurance when you return. I went with vhi global, as I was already with the vhi so they are transferring it to global when I go and back to my normal policy when I return. Not sure if this is an option for you http://www.vhi-healthcare.com/global/index.jsp

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭littlesurfer

vivas don't do an option like that but i wish they did...they do a deal with allianz but when i got a quote it came to almost two grand.....scary!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭paulmurphyvec

The best thing I would advise you to do is get in contact with your local health centre and they will be able to advise you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread closed by me.

Please consult your GP as they would be in best position to advise.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement