Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beans

Options
  • 12-08-2007 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

BEANS.

CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT TO DO WITH THEM.....THE ONES YOU HAVE TO SOAK! WHATS NEXT...BOIL, FRY ...CASSEROLE. i'M LOST

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭littlesurfer

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Beans are good in a chilli. Can't think of anything else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭che81

Hi Littlesurfer

Don't despair. Beans are brilliant in everything.

Here's a good guide to cooking them. it's an american site so garbanzos are actually chickpeas.

http://www.centralbean.com/cooking.html#How%20To%20Cook%20Dried

Yes to do lend well to a chilli (there are millions of recipes on the net). i wrote one here but i can't find now.

You can add them to soups. make bean salads with beans, herbs, onion, olive oil and lemon. they're also good wizzed up with olive oil and lemon to make dips.

hope that helps. i would write more but i should be working! ;)

oh thanks a million, i'm on a health kick and i've a press full of dried beans waiting to be cooked up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭che81

you're welcome. do remember to have a small amount of starch (potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, cous cous) on the same day as you're eating beans to complete your protein. beans (aside from soy beans) aren't complete proteins so you need to complete the protein with a starch. it's quite easily done. you could make a soup with beans and add a small amount of pasta or potato. not so much that you're eating loads, but just enough.

try this one.

1 onion chopped
    1 clove garlic chopped
    half red chilli chopped (optional)
    quarter small savoy cabbage shredded
    1 carrot diced
    1 stick celery diced
    half tin chopped tomatoes
    1 medium potato (or handful small pasta)
    50g beans soaked and cooked (you can always cook beans in batches and then freeze them in handy portion sizes in freezer bags)
    water or stock to cover
    salt and pepper

fry the onion, garlic and chilli in a little oil. add the carrot and celery and saute for a couple mins. next add the cabbage, potato and tomatoes. add in the water and pasta at this stage if you're not using the potato, and the beans (thawed if frozen). season with salt and pepper and cook until the veg are tender. you could always increase the amount of beans you use.

• Advertisement

thanks a million, i'm printing it off and will try it later this week

Advertisement