Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any help for a vw golf owner?

Options
  • 12-08-2007 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭

Driving up the motorway and my little red oil pressure light flashed on and off.I pulled over fairly quickly and turned engine off. Left it in capable hands of auto recovery but my mind doing cartwheels tryin to work out whats wrong. I put 1ltr oil in it on Fri evening and drove to Naas and back for work and no hassles. Filled it up with petrol this morn and was driving fine. Light came on after i went over 135/138. The engine surely hasnt siezed....please tell me it hasnt!i opened the cap and small amount of smoke was coming out to signify low levels but dipstick reading up too high levels!recovery man stuck more into it and tried to jumpstart it and no luck!is it possible there is too much in it?im an a and e nurse in Naas and rely so much on it.Anyone with any similar problems?the mileage is 91k and its due a service at 97k. Friend told me it might be the catalytic converter?as the exhaust was making a loud noise, but i cant be sure.Will find out soon enough during the week but can anyone reassure me?its a 00 and i pretty much just got it.
    Help????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

you may have overfilled the oil, it may be something completely unrelated though. the engine hasn't seized if it was running when you pulled over. Don't get too excited until you see what the garage says.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Not a chance is it seized, too much oil, probly running too rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I don't think a bit of smoke after you remove the oil filler cap means low oil level. Go by the dipstick. Too much oil is not good. I wouldn't be too worried by oil pressure light flashing on for a second tbh. Definitely wouldn't cause me to stop and call a recovery truck - but that's just me.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I doubt it came on due to overfilling. But if there is excess oil in the sump then it will need to be drained off or it could damage the cat. If the engine is still running and not making any odd noises then it's probably OK. Don't worry about small wisps of smoke when you remove the oil cap - the oil is hot so a slight amount of smoke is normal.

Oil pressure switches give trouble on lots of VW models. So it could be a false alarm. The best course of action is to get an oil pressure test done to verify that you do indeed have correct oil pressure. If the oil pressure is normal then I'd be inclined to replace the switch (inexpensive) and take things from there.

BTW, a 2000 Golf should also have a yellow oil light to indicate low oil level - the level sensors have also been known to be faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭hollywoodhoppy

I dunno paul, i reckon you're in bother :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement