Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XFX GeForce FX5200 256MB DDR

Options
  • 12-08-2007 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭

due to a number of unlucky incident i've been left with a pc with no AGP or PCI-E slots, I was wondering what people think of this card? http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=304713 there only seems to be two pci cards on komplett this and his lil brother, i'd like to be able to play games up to around 2005/06 and use it for emulation is it worth my while?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

For old console emulation sure no problem as long as it's not a PS2.

For games well it depends really on what you play the FX2000 is really a DX8 card and a pretty crap one.

What kind of CPU do you have as you could swap the mobo really cheap for a board with PCI-e and open up a lot more options.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

8T8 wrote:
    For old console emulation sure no problem as long as it's not a PS2.

For games well it depends really on what you play the FX2000 is really a DX8 card and a pretty crap one.

What kind of CPU do you have as you could swap the mobo really cheap for a board with PCI-e and open up a lot more options.

IIRC it's a P4 Dual Core 2.8GHZ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Download CPU-Z and it will tell you whether it is a socket 478 or socket 775 P4 as they came in both forms.

For socket 478 with PCI-e support you can get this. For €100 you can get a 8600GT which will serve you great for any past games and current ones, you can always get something cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

imo the 5200 is a paperweight with a vga slot...get somthing better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Anything 2005/2006, unless they're very forgiving RTS/RPG games or similar, will run like crap. I had the joy of using one for a few months and thought sure it can't be that bad....it was. Get about 10fps in the performance test in Company of Heroes on lowest possible settings, even basic stuff like Dawn of War was a pain at times....Battlefield 2 wasn't even playable at lowest possible settings. And this was the AGP version....so I can only imagine the PCI one being even further crippled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Ok thanks lads, new board it is.

Advertisement