Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

make up in the heat

• 12-08-2007 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

okie dokie, i'm going away for a year in september and i'm trying to find the perfect skin stuff to take with me. my skin is clear enough, but the texture is rough and very blotchy without make up. i travelled before and went bare,...but when i saw the pictures i thought maybe it might not be a good idea doing the same thing this time round.

Anyway i'm not very vein and i definately don't want to look caked or like i'm making an effort with my make up....just want my skin to look clear....and i don't want it melting down my face.

I bought a tinted moisturiser from elizabeth arden with an spf of 15 but its not great...anyone have any ideas!?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭susanna

I normally use Rimmel Stay Matte powder over a tinted moisturiser. Its good because it looks natural and deals with the shine you'd get with the heat. I used this when I was in Australia and it worked well for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭boffin

Why don't you invest in a few facials rather than wearing make-up away. I got a microdermabrasion done the other day - my god I could see the difference in my skin the next day. Going for a second one next week and that should be enough to completely clean my skin. That way your skin will be nice and smooth and you'll be able to get a tan. I wouldn't advise wearing make-up in hot weather where you would be sweating as your pores will be clogged and then you will get those bumps under your skin. Tinted moisturiser is the best option. Never used any but i've heard that the body shop one is meant to be nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭littlesurfer

okay i'l hit the body shop and what about this microdermabrasion thing...i'm using an origions home version but its just a cream...does microdermabrasion hurt and is it expensive?

Just wondering if anyone else has tried this. I've been doing it for about a year and i'm still not seeing 100% clear results....the people in the clinic are saying it's just taking me a bit longer but to stick with it...but it's expensive and i can't help feeling a bit fleeced!

anyone else have a similar experience?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I use Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation and it's been on holiday with me to lots of hot countries and never felt melty or came off.

• Advertisement

okay i'l hit the body shop and what about this microdermabrasion thing...i'm using an origions home version but its just a cream...does microdermabrasion hurt and is it expensive?

I'm not sure of the science behind it but they use a machine which feels sort of like a shaver (don't worry it doesn't shave) and they move it around you face. This then sort of vacuums out the dirt in your pores. I can't belive the difference in my pores. Then they put a clay mask and a vitamin mask. There are two versions usually a half hour and hour session. The half hour is as above but the hour also includes an oxygen gel which they use on your face to incraese tighness. If you are young (which I'm guessing your are) you don't need it. The cost is €55 per half hour. They recommend 5 but 2 should be enough for me and then I should have completely clear skin.

Just wondering if anyone else has tried this. I've been doing it for about a year and i'm still not seeing 100% clear results....the people in the clinic are saying it's just taking me a bit longer but to stick with it...but it's expensive and i can't help feeling a bit fleeced!

anyone else have a similar experience?

If you are fair then it is a completly waste of money...

If your are dark, maybe not. A friend of mine got it done and I was amazed at the lack of growth even after one session.

Should you still be getting it done if you are travelling - thought you could not be exposed to sunshine for 6 months after the treatments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MayMay

boffin wrote:
    I'm not sure of the science behind it but they use a machine which feels sort of like a shaver (don't worry it doesn't shave) and they move it around you face. This then sort of vacuums out the dirt in your pores. I can't belive the difference in my pores. Then they put a clay mask and a vitamin mask. There are two versions usually a half hour and hour session. The half hour is as above but the hour also includes an oxygen gel which they use on your face to incraese tighness. If you are young (which I'm guessing your are) you don't need it. The cost is €55 per half hour. They recommend 5 but 2 should be enough for me and then I should have completely clear skin.

What about the home kits? I'm using a Boots one....are they even remotely near as effective do you think?

Hi May May - I have never used a home version and I haven't heard of anyone who has - Sorry. Just from my own experience of home versus salon treatments - home treatments are usually not as good until they have been on the market a while. But in terms of price the home kits can't be beaten. My treatments will cost €110 and the price of a home kit is prob only €30- €40 so if you are seeing results I'd stick with the home version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Elli-May

I definitely recommend Make-up Forever's Face and Body Foundation!
    It's really light and doesn't clog your pores but still gives you enough coverage!

Also invest in a translucent powder to dust over all your make up so it stays in place and doesn't melt off!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Buttons_sb

When I go on holidays I like to wear a high factor on my face. I usually just wear suncream but id like to start wearing some tinted moisturiser / foundation.

Can anyone recommend what i should use? like should I use a suncream and then apply tinted moisturiser over it or..

boffin wrote:
    Hi May May - I have never used a home version and I haven't heard of anyone who has - Sorry. Just from my own experience of home versus salon treatments - home treatments are usually not as good until they have been on the market a while. But in terms of price the home kits can't be beaten. My treatments will cost €110 and the price of a home kit is prob only €30- €40 so if you are seeing results I'd stick with the home version.

Thanks very much Boffin....in the Boots that I got the cream and moisturiser they didn't have the "machine" (no idea what it's called) so I just got the cream and moisturiser and do it every few days. My skin is definitely a lot smoother but it's for acne scars that I intended to use it for so I'm not sure if it's working for that or not. Maybe I should give the salon treatment a go.

MayMay wrote:
    Thanks very much Boffin....in the Boots that I got the cream and moisturiser they didn't have the "machine" (no idea what it's called) so I just got the cream and moisturiser and do it every few days. My skin is definitely a lot smoother but it's for acne scars that I intended to use it for so I'm not sure if it's working for that or not. Maybe I should give the salon treatment a go.

Hi MayMay, the microdermabrasion in the salon won't do anything for acne scars. Its really meant to make your skin clear from anyblackheads,spots etc. However heard really good things about bio oil for reducing scars - you can get it in any chemist and you can use it on your face.

boffin wrote:
    Hi MayMay, the microdermabrasion in the salon won't do anything for acne scars. Its really meant to make your skin clear from anyblackheads,spots etc. However heard really good things about bio oil for reducing scars - you can get it in any chemist and you can use it on your face.

Thanks Boffin, yeah I've seen that around but wasn't sure if it was just another gimmick or not. Might give it a go though, thanks.

bio oil is great but would it not make your skin really greasy if you use it on your face?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

bio oil is great but would it not make your skin really greasy if you use it on your face?

It is a bit, but its grand if you put it on before bed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

Hi, try benefits 'some kinda gorgus' its lovely stuff not quite a foundation but just enough coverage. I use it with estee laduer concealer and bourgois powder

Advertisement