Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

its settled im getting a Toyota celica

Options
  • 12-08-2007 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

ok lads,

the celica it is, whats peoples opinions, i wanted a sporty reliable 1.8 and this car has just grown on me. i love the interior. im thinking 01/02 . whats peoples opinions or experience with these?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Try and get a UK spec 1.8 litre VVTi-L. It has 190bhp compared to the modest 140bhp version that was sold here. UK spec Celicas are generally better equipped too with leather seats, climate control, cd changer, sunroof and 17" alloy wheels.

As with any car like these be wary for signs of a trashed or abused one, it is pretty common that these cars are driven hard and not unusal to find themselves on the wrong side of a ditch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

thanks for that bazz, the only thing blocking me is the insurance, i was in an accident 2 yrs ago (my fault). so im not sure what quote im gonna get, im currently paying 1200 on a 01 corsa and im 25, although i only have my full license a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I have a celica, have it nearly 3 years now and it's a peach of a car. Under rated by far. Fantastic chassis. Not really a lot goes wrong with them.
    I'm thinking of selling it soon, if you're interested reply here or PM me and I'll give you all the details.
    Even if you have any questions about them, ask away.

jon1981 wrote:
    thanks for that bazz, the only thing blocking me is the insurance, i was in an accident 2 yrs ago (my fault). so im not sure what quote im gonna get, im currently paying 1200 on a 01 corsa and im 25, although i only have my full license a year.

Your probably going to find it difficult enough so to insure the basic 140bhp version. Saying that 140bhp is going to be more than enough coming from a Corsa. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

bazz26 wrote:
    Try and get a UK spec 1.8 litre VVTi-L. It has 190bhp compared to the modest 140bhp version that was sold here.

I thought both the 140 and 190 models were sold in the UK?

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote:
    I thought both the 140 and 190 models were sold in the UK?

Indeed they were afaik. What I was trying to say was get a 190bhp UK spec car rather than the 140bhp version.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

jon1981 wrote:
    the only thing blocking me is the insurance, i was in an accident 2 yrs ago (my fault). so im not sure what quote im gonna get, im currently paying 1200 on a 01 corsa and im 25, although i only have my full license a year.

Patience will save you a lot of money. Get a quote now for the 140BHP Celica (if you can get one). Then drive the Corsa for another year and get a quote for the 190BHP Celica. I bet the latter will be cheaper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Typhoon

Vvti are the 140 bhp and VvtL-i are 190

check out this...all you'l ever need know http://www.celica-club.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

Knew somebody where I used to work with one, beautiful car.

LIGHTNING wrote:
    My mate had an old model and he loved it, it never went wrong on him and it was quick enough for him. I`d say if you have the cash and can afford the insurance+petrol then go for it!

I have heard that petrol consumption is not bad in the Celica. All the power is in the higher revs so when you don't dive it hard you get very good mpg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

tuxy wrote:
    I have heard that petrol consumption is not bad in the Celica. All the power is in the higher revs so when you don't dive it hard you get very good mpg.
    That's a bit like saying your beer will last a long time if you don't drink it.

Anan1 wrote:
    That's a bit like saying your beer will last a long time if you don't drink it.
    Ya but a lot of cars of similar power are much more thirsty then the celica even when driven easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Typhoon

yeah you dont even get the benefit of the extra 50 horses unles she's revving about 6000rpm..than the valves lift (i think) to give ya the extra capacity and power

i get mid 30's mpg from mine

Advertisement