Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What 1.4L would you buy?

Options
  • 12-08-2007 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭

If you had about €5,000 - €6,000 what type of car would you buy to modify?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

i personally love the civis`s. the 98-99 model!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Hoops1888

I agree but for a 21 year old who hasn't been driving long the insurance would be to expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

im definitely with princess on this one, there are so many parts availible for the civic, and when you out grow the power you could allways drop in a faster engine with little hastle, ring arround for insurance it shouldnt be too bad i had one when i was 18

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

At 23 I paid €3500 3rd Party on a 1.4i. It's expensive, that said after 1 year NCB I rang around and got it for €2800 fully comp. It's the 1st year that's painful. Also you can't just drop a vtec into a non vtec model it requires a lot of parts to be changed to do that.

That said a 1.4 civic is your best choice. 90bhp makes it one of the most powerful non turbo cars in that range. That and the fact Hondas are very popular to mod because they tend to give good performance boosts after modding and the engines don't blow up easily.

Edit :: first insurance was 3rd Party.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Hoops1888 wrote:
    If you had about €5,000 - €6,000 what type of car would you buy to modify?

to modify for performance gains or simply to modify the look of a car?

if its performance go for a civic if its a "looks" thing then go for a focus or a golf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dish

In my view Civics are too common! All u see are civics! Be different like! I myself have a 1.4 206. Common enough yea but not as bad as civic!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,315 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

what about an MG ZR?

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=764412

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=752521

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=763985

theres a few more on carzone too.

nice car, 1.4 engine, 105 bhp, my sister used to have one and there a nippy little car.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

How about a Mazda 323f ?1.5 though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

On the focus point it's down to taste, personally I don't like the look of them and from what i've read you don't like the look of my Civic.

STAY AWAY FROM AN MG. For a start they were part of the Rover group which as gone tits up. Parts can be hard to source. nobody wants them since that happened.

Mazda are a good choice so is any Jap cars really Toyota or Nissan.

layke wrote:
    STAY AWAY FROM AN MG. For a start they were part of the Rover group which as gone tits up. Parts can be hard to source. nobody wants them since that happened.

I disagree, the ZR would be a good base for modifications, it's already a sporty looking hatch (for a 1.4) Parts aren't that difficult to get as it shares most with the 25, which itself is a rebadged 200. Apart from the famous head gasket problem, they don't give much trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

pick up a late 98 astra hatchback. Very reliable and great to modify inside and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 madbaz

im gona buy myself a PUG 306 1.4. its not gona cost as much as ur budget bu u could use the extra money for doin it up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

colm_mcm wrote:
    I disagree, the ZR would be a good base for modifications, it's already a sporty looking hatch (for a 1.4) Parts aren't that difficult to get as it shares most with the 25, which itself is a rebadged 200. Apart from the famous head gasket problem, they don't give much trouble.

Seconded, its a myth that nobody wants to touch off them. Sold my 05 ZS last year no hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

mk 4 golf.. have a 3dr one myself looks nice enough.. its a 1.4 16v so not 2 slow either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

I've a 1.4 civic saloon, i love it!

Vain wrote:
    mk 4 golf.. have a 3dr one myself looks nice enough.. its a 1.4 16v so not 2 slow either

I'd say 75bhp is 2 slow!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Toon--soldier

3dr Corolla?

Advertisement