Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GPS App for PDA Phone

• 12-08-2007 11:57pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Im sure its been covered before bt whats the best app for in car GPS on a Windows Mobile PDA?

As far as I ca see there are 3 main ones

TomTom 6
    Route 66 7
    CoPilot

I dont have any first hand experience on any of them. Any info appricated. PDA is Voda V1605 (HTC Hermes/TyTN) and the GPS is a BT Holux super slim 240.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Tom Tom is good, but also Mapopolis is good too. I don't know their status just now, they are in the process of being bought out as far as I know.

There is also another called simply Navigator, that I've also used. Again pretty decent. From these three, I tend to lean more to Mapopolis time and time again for its simplicity. Tom Tom has a nice GUI that can get in the way sometimes.

Your mobile is excellent, and running WM6 I presume too. Check out www.4winmobile.com for the Black versions on this device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

I use Route 66 on a Qtec9100/HTC Wizard/imate Kjam and its very good. A few small issues, but not major:

Difficult to navigate to Lat/Long coordinates rather than an address
    Can't cancel a route other than by selecting another one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭emul

I've used Co-Pilot and hated it. Now use Navigon and wouldn't go back to any other. Interface is simple, accurate and it's never got me lost. V6.2 is just released with 2007 / 2008 maps - costs €149 and can be downloaded from the site - navigon.de

Eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭tdavfc

I use route 66 on my Ipaq hw6915 and it works perfectly. Maps (Navteq) are very accurate even in the middle of the countryside where I am from ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

hshortt wrote:
    Tom Tom is good, but also Mapopolis is good too. I don't know their status just now, they are in the process of being bought out as far as I know.

There is also another called simply Navigator, that I've also used. Again pretty decent. From these three, I tend to lean more to Mapopolis time and time again for its simplicity. Tom Tom has a nice GUI that can get in the way sometimes.

Your mobile is excellent, and running WM6 I presume too. Check out www.4winmobile.com for the Black versions on this device.

hshortt, any idea what version maps tomtom are selling now for their european maps (including ireland) for pdas. Is it v6.660 (navteq) or v6.75 (teleatlas).

To the route66 users, is that european maps you have and how much.
    same question to the navigon poster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Can't say I know the answer to be honest. I dislike TomToms manner of dismissing the Irish market and not providing maps with their stand alone devices. Only certain versions of maps have Irish coverage.

cheerio
    Howard

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

tech77 wrote:
    hshortt, any idea what version maps tomtom are selling now for their european maps (including ireland) for pdas. Is it v6.660 (navteq) or v6.75 (teleatlas).

Westeran Europe is 6.75 AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

I've used destinator (6.1, I think) it's pretty good too. got it for free [to try] on a torrent site. use the holux super slim 240 too.

tech77 wrote:

Route66 Navigate 7 for GB and IRL cost me 59 euro from the Route66 website...

tdavfc wrote:
    Route66 Navigate 7 for GB and IRL cost me 59 euro from the Route66 website...

Thanks.
    Are you sure it wasn't 59 sterling.
    59 euro seems very cheap.
    If it's euro might be worth getting.

From what I can see though destinator seems to be the only software around with the latest navteq q4 2006/q1 2007 maps.
    I think copilot and route 66 etc are still using q2 2006.

• Advertisement

tech77 wrote:
    Thanks.
    Are you sure it wasn't 59 sterling.
    59 euro seems very cheap.
    If it's euro might be worth getting.

From what I can see though destinator seems to be the only software around with the latest navteq q4 2006/q1 2007 maps.
    I think copilot and route 66 etc are still using q2 2006.

Nope it was 59 Yo Yos (see link below)... Its actually 99 on mysatnav.ie....

http://www.66.com/route66/products.php?cid=IE&sec=6&ssec=0&prodid=2189

tdavfc wrote:
    Nope it was 59 Yo Yos (see link below)... Its actually 99 on mysatnav.ie....

http://www.66.com/route66/products.php?cid=IE&sec=6&ssec=0&prodid=2189

Wow. Not bad.
    How much was that all-in so (including delivery)- you get it on disc not a download right?

And it's definitely 100% Ireland coverage isn't it- only thing is it mentions q4 2005 on the site which i thought was less than 100% TBH. Can you confirm 100% coverage.

The poi phone numbers sound good as well.

I looked at the Europe one as well for 120 euro.
    Might be worth it if the upgrades are free or not too expensive.
    Any ideas about how much the upgrades cost?

tech77 wrote:
    Wow. Not bad.
    How much was that all-in so (including delivery)- you get it on disc not a download right?

And it's definitely 100% Ireland coverage isn't it- only thing is it mentions q4 2005 on the site which i thought was less than 100% TBH. Can you confirm 100% coverage.

The poi phone numbers sound good as well.

I looked at the Europe one as well for 120 euro.
    Might be worth it if the upgrades are free or not too expensive.
    Any ideas about how much the upgrades cost?

59 + 9.95 delivery.... They say its 100% and checked the version of my Maps and they are what you said previously q2 2006...

Seen an upgrade for GB and IRL on the website for 29 Yo Yos...

Ok thanks. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I got a loan of a PDA with TomTOm so im going to give that a whirle and see what its like. Sounds like the toughest part of all this is what maps they use!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

Depending on your phone, there may be free software available.

I came across this site the other day.

http://www.nav4all.com/site2/www.nav4all.com/enguk/index.php

Software for lots of phones.

Advertisement