Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

www.xsdirect.ie ... many people insured by these?

Options
  • 13-08-2007 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

seem to offer good quotes, however i dont fancy the excess, what people think? i have had an accident (my fault) and am with quinn. i had a small accident in a 1L 2yrs ago, but want to up it to a 1.8. im afraid to ring my insurance company to see what they will quote. im 25 paying 1200 full license. the excess of 4k seems very scary though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Your current price isn't bad at all.

I think these high excess policies are bit of a reverse lottery with your insurance.

If you think that you can afford the €4k excess in the event of a crash, and they give you a significant deduction, then it may be worth it. If however, you're only getting the insurance so you can drive a powerful car, it may be worth reconsidering...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'm insured with them, I think I get a great deal - €1000 fully comp on a 220BHP Type R. No other company in the country would touch me the first year, I'm now on the second but still could not a better quote.

€4,000 excess is a risk, but if anything it makes me drive slower and safer knowing I'm in the hole for 4k if I crash...

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭conical

I'm with them too, paying ~€1000, which is €2,000 less than other quotes I got.
    I'd rather have the possibility of losing €4k than handing over an extra 2k each year :eek:
    Realistically, I think most people wouldn't go through their insurance for any claim up to 2k anyway, so 4k doesn't seem so bad.

If you will be making a significant saving in your premium then it seems a good choice, but don't be afraid to ring your own insurance company (and as many others as you can) You might be surprised at the savings you can make.

Similarly, ring around the various brokers that sell xsdirect policies, there can be big difference there too.

-C

• Registered Users Posts: 65,451 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

conical wrote:
    I'm with them too, paying ~€1000, which is €2,000 less than other quotes I got.
    I'd rather have the possibility of losing €4k than handing over an extra 2k each year :eek:

Indeed, that's a no-brainer!

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

Do they only do fully comp, of can they just give you 3rd party instead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,968 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Quoted me >€3,500 euros! Quinn are ~€2000 (I can't remember exactly) for the same car, with a €250 excess....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

I have heard (but not sure if it's true) that any time spent with XS Direct doesn't count for no-claims purposes when looking to move to a 'mainstream' insurer-can anyone confirm or deny?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

MYOB wrote: »
    Quoted me >€3,500 euros! Quinn are ~€2000 (I can't remember exactly) for the same car, with a €250 excess....

what kind of car was it?
    i found that it was cheaper to insure my evo with xs than it was to insure a 1.6 sohc civic with them.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    I have heard (but not sure if it's true) that any time spent with XS Direct doesn't count for no-claims purposes when looking to move to a 'mainstream' insurer-can anyone confirm or deny?

i heard this rumour too, but i was with them for one year, through 123.ie i must add and at the end of the year i got a NCD from 123.ie for the year. now it may be different if you go with the direct, im not too sure about that.

kceire wrote: »
    what kind of car was it?
    i found that it was cheaper to insure my evo with xs than it was to insure a 1.6 sohc civic with them.

Fiat Panda 100HP of all things!

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    Fiat Panda 100HP of all things!

no way, you should be getting quotes left right and centre on that car!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

I'm 27, don't have my full license very long though (less than a year). xsdirect quoted me 1044 with a 4k excess on a 00 1.6L primera, bestquote quoted 840 with a 300 Eur excess.

I might add here that I put down the value of the car in both cases as 4000 euro and yer man from 123 had to tell them that the car was worth 5 to get the quote.

kceire wrote: »
    no way, you should be getting quotes left right and centre on that car!

Age, location, history don't add up well... but I'm happy enough with the cover I got (Quinn, fully comp) for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

I'm insured with them but I don't have an excess of 4k, it's only 1k excess.
    Fully comp with a good few modifications declared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Feckinhellman

Like a lot of people with high risk cars I was glad to even get a quote and a reasonable one at that €710 from XS Direct as NO ONE would entertain me .even though I'm 35 and all clean credentials . Problem was an american Ford 4.6 V8 . Now to just get wheels tax and NCT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭*Dallas

I went through them to get covered on my Celica ( female, 25, 4 penalty points €2000 excess), Im paying €900 for my second year.

First time going through a broker and never again, there's 3 different company names on the papers I have for them so I don't actually know who to be dealing with.

I've tried for a year and a half to change my name, from Deborah to Debbie, this is still not done :(

Quinn have quoted me €1000 with €250 excess, im thinking of moving over.

Never thought I'd say Quinn = less stress lol

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Shamo

Zascar wrote: »
    I'm insured with them, I think I get a great deal - €1000 fully comp on a 220BHP Type R. No other company in the country would touch me the first year, I'm now on the second but still could not a better quote.

€4,000 excess is a risk, but if anything it makes me drive slower and safer knowing I'm in the hole for 4k if I crash...

Are you over 25 if you don't mind me asking?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

For me (23yo, 1 year ncb with a 1.6 and no claims), their quote with a 4000 excess is twice quinn's with a 400 excess. Not great then.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭SteJay

The lasdt time I rang xs I had an ordinary 2 litre skyline and they said they wont insure any skylines/Scoobys or Evo's. Is this still the case?
    Also recently they have changed their website and it allows you to reduce the excess to a grand which isnt too bad!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

they do insure these cars. I just switched me insurance to them and listed all the mods on my Alfa and they came in with a great quote so I took it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭SteJay

So do the insure anything now??Pity the vrt is so hefty otherwise id have a GTR in the mornin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Medlar

lads, i was wondering the same.im looking at getting insured by these but here they wont insure any car older then 10 years....is this true???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

They wont even quote me just tried there. Im 20 two years driving one year with a full licence. Crazy and its only a 1,4 car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Medlar wrote: »
    lads, i was wondering the same.im looking at getting insured by these but here they wont insure any car older then 10 years....is this true???
    Ring them, they will do all sorts of deals over the phone. I find them very reasonable in terms of what they cover.
    Vain wrote: »
    They wont even quote me just tried there. Im 20 two years driving one year with a full licence. Crazy and its only a 1,4 car.
    Seems like the wrong Insurance company for vanilla insurance anyway does it not?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Vain wrote: »

+1 and when I tested it on a 1.6 at 21 yo and full it was €3500 :rolleyes:

Advertisement