Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Galway - Unlimited download?

Options
  • 13-08-2007 2:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hey,

I'm going to move to a new apartment in Galway. I quite often listen to online radio stations and watch streamed internet tv. So 30GB or 40GB might not be enough.

Does anybody know if there's a provider with unlimited download?
    Or, what would happen if I join NTL or Eircom and use more than the allowed usage? Will they just cut my line?

Thanks
    Felix

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

I'm with NTL on the 6mb line in Galway. After two months connected, I got a letter asking me to cut down on downloads, as it's making service suffer in my area. If I don't, they'll threaten cutting off. THey give a cap of 40GB, and I had 169.45GB in a month. I did cut down on it for a while, but I'm expecting another letter after this month.

You can milk it for all it's worth, they regularly do nothign for amounts up to 100GB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭balu

Thanks a lot Wet-Paint. I think I will go for NTL then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Smart Telecom has no download caps but a "fair usage policy"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭balu

I will definitely consider Smart Telecom as well.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

To be honest if you can get it at all I'd recommend Smart Telecom, NTL does have a cap and they have disconnected users for going over the cap...although generally speaking these people are going 60GB+ over it and NTL have previously sent warning letters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

balu wrote:
    Hey,

I'm going to move to a new apartment in Galway. I quite often listen to online radio stations and watch streamed internet tv. So 30GB or 40GB might not be enough.

There are Magnet, Smart, IBB Breeze and depending on where you are, Airwire.

/Marlow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

IBB have an unlimited package. I live with 4 guys sharing this 2Mb breeze connection and we are constantly on Youtube, veoh, stage6.divx.com etc.., watching stuff.

I play online games and download demos and some of the other guys download torrents.

I'd recommend it to anyone as they've never once told us to cope ourselves on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Liquidus

Marlow wrote:
    There are Magnet, Smart, IBB Breeze and depending on where you are, Airwire.

/Marlow

are those isp's available in the renmore area?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

What are smart like?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Liquidus wrote:
    are those isp's available in the renmore area?

Smart and Magnet, I guess so, because the exchange should be unbundled.
    IBB Breeze is.
    Airwire is a maybe, coverage is more outside Galway, than city.

/Marlow

• Advertisement
Advertisement