Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bioshock demo is now up!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭MiloFoxburr

DarkJager wrote:
    I have a taste for true quality, not hype.

Before I played the demo I wasn't hyped for this at all but wow that was great fun. Can't wait to play with all the plasmids.

Hope it's region free so I can pick it up cheaply lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

DarkJager wrote:

Hype and true quality are not mutually exclusive.

Anyways who cares i've no interest in defending a demo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

DarkJager wrote:

Give us some examples of the true quality,

Halo 2? Fifa 07?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Maybe I should have put even more smileys in my post...

I'll just say that hype and quality are not mutually exclusive, sometimes games are hyped *because* they're good. If you didn't think System Shock 2 was good then our tastes are just very different.

lee_baby_simms, that's creepy, get out of my brain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

hehe.

So has Bioshock been shipped to Ireland yet? I know theres promo copies floating about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

koneko wrote:
    Maybe I should have put even more smileys in my post...

I'll just say that hype and quality are not mutually exclusive, sometimes games are hyped *because* they're good. If you didn't think System Shock 2 was good then our tastes are just very different.

I think people are going a little OTT about this game. I have only played through this once though so forgive me if my first impressions were way off

yes its better than most FPS games but its not as good as some are making out.

Straight away when I came out of the water to see the steps of the first building my heart sank as the steps were covered in the coating of shiny KY jelly texture that some developers are fond of. I hate it

Very tense and fantastic world/settings.

Wasn't mad about the controls as sometimes I tapped the LB or RB and the weapon assigned to each didn't change, which is annoying when faced with an enemy. Cant understand why they didn't let the character hold both his hands out in front when the weapon in the right hand was a one handed one (wrench pistol etc)

Thought the smoke effects were a little off

I found the enemy AI interesting and I was hoping for a little more from this game. When I had a pistol in my hand the enemies with melee weapons would sprint right at me. Little dumb really. They showed enough self preservation to not attack me when the sister and big daddy were coming (for fear of death) but yet they run right at an opponent who is far better armed. The enemies with guns seemed fine.

I will play through it again this evening and check are the above still valid

did I enjoy it: Yes
    was it as good as people say: I didn't think so
    will it be a good game: definitely.
    would I buy it: I think so yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

ZOMG this is teh bestest demos evah!!one!111!!111 :D

I kid, I stopped the DL because it was taking forever, will try it again today. Looking forward to it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

WellyJ wrote:
    Do you even have a 360?

Sounds almost like trolling to me

I was looking forward to this as much the next person.

It just didn't do anything for me really, as someone stated earlier ky jelly filled steps etc, meh it just loooks tacky, graphically there's nothing really there that suprpasses even GOW IMO.

The guys accent is really annoying enough for me to never buy this game. (I probably will tho)

I hear a lot of people saying how great it is, but no one saying why?

it's only a demo and the final product might be a lot better but i just don't see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Vegeta wrote:
    Straight away when I came out of the water to see the steps of the first building my heart sank as the steps were covered in the coating of shiny KY jelly texture that some developers are fond of. I hate it

+1
    Very tense and fantastic world/settings.

comment++
    Wasn't mad about the controls as sometimes I tapped the LB or RB and the weapon assigned to each didn't change, which is annoying when faced with an enemy. Cant understand why they didn't let the character hold both his hands out in front when the weapon in the right hand was a one handed one (wrench pistol etc)

I'd press the left trigger to get the plasmid up in preperation for an ambush and it would fire acidently. found that annoying.
    I found the enemy AI interesting and I was hoping for a little more from this game. When I had a pistol in my hand the enemies with melee weapons would sprint right at me. Little dumb really. They showed enough self preservation to not attack me when the sister and big daddy were coming (for fear of death) but yet they run right at an opponent who is far better armed. The enemies with guns seemed fine.

I put it down to them being a little insane so i can forgive that

Just to add:

I'm fairly annoyed that they spoiled some of the ways to use your environment. I'd have liked to have discovered that you can fry enemies in the water / set stuff on fire and throw at enemies etc. Also, even tho objects in the world can be weaponised I hope you can rip stuff out of walls and throw it xmen stylee.

Also, will probably end up playing the game first time through doing what atlas tells me, just cos he's irish!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

Just downloaded it, damn that was good! And always nice to hear an Irish accent in a game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

hehe.

So has Bioshock been shipped to Ireland yet? I know theres promo copies floating about.
    There is!?
    *desperately sprints to work*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,700 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

All youz nay-saying peoplez are crazee! ;)
    As for promo-copies, probably just for the reviewing types. We are down to 9 days people.
    And just replayed the demo finding the incineration plasmid and using the hacking system. I think the 'multiple ways to play' promise may actually come true this time.

I can't wait for the Telekenesis plasmid. Also whats up with the tattoos on the protagonists wrists?

Also anyone notice how detailed the hand models are? His hands look almost exactly like hands, something which I've never seen in a game. The closest was The Darkness but Jackies hands were no where near as detailed as they are in Bioshock. It's a little thing, I know, but it's nice to see the amount of detail going into this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

So it looks like the release date has been brought forward to today, or at least in the US.

Anyone know if this is a worldwide release today or just US?

Our release wasn't the same day as American anyway, release date here is August 24th. I don't think stores here even got their stock yet.

I'm sure if the release here is brought forward Zapp can let us know :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

/bangHead
    Why,
    /bangHead
    Didn't,
    /bangHead
    I bring,
    /bangHead
    My 360?
    /bangHead

Maybe I'll buy it and just stare at it for 2 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Em..........meh......tbh :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

Have been stuck in hospital since 27th of july so this is quite nice to come back too:D :D:D

koneko wrote:
    I'm sure if the release here is brought forward Zapp can let us know :)
    Not until I buy it meself! Yeah, I'll be hounding work, specially if a promo copy comes in (one hasn't yet :()

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Taken from British Gaming Blog, tips and things to do for the demo owners (spoilered for people who want to find this stuff themselves):
    1. Don’t wait - Incinerate

The demo teases you with an arsonist’s dream when Andrew Ryan’s speech is proceeded with an advert for the flame producing Plasmid, Incinerate. You too can experience this burning sensation, and not the one you get when you pee, sicko, in the Bioshock demo. In the Kashmir Restaurant there are two toilets - Male and Female. The gents will lead you towards your goal but the ladies is a little different. A ghost and her baby resides there but she is totally harmless, pass through and collect the Incinerate plasmid from the rocks behind her. This secondary ability does more than shock your foes as it will lead to their crispy barbecued death. If there is water around, the enemy will dive straight into the watery haven, totally ready for some Toaster-in-the-Tub action.

2. Play in Hard Mode

So you think you’re tough eh? Can head-shot a grasshopper with a shotgun? Can complete every DDR song without breaking a sweat? Can ride your bike real fast - WITH NO HANDS? Then you’ll want to put your skill to the test in Bioshock’s hard mode… but its currently disabled! If you want the extra challenge, open your Gamercard in the dashboard before you start the demo and go to “Game Defaults”. Select General and then set your preferred Difficulty Mode to Hard. When you start the demo up, the Hard mode is all ready for you, Mr Tough Guy.

3. Read someone else’s Diary

While in the real world, where reading someone elses diary will always put you on the page where they say you’re a “doo-doo head”, Bioshock’s audio clippits will give a whole new insight into the rise and fall of Rapture. They’ll reel off the audio while you play, but tap the back button to listen without fear of being snuck up on. There is one right outside the toilets in the Kashmir Restaurant and one in Kashmir’s Bottom Floor on a table.

4. Be a leet HaXor

This game is all about options - you play however you want and take as much advantage of the world as you can. Before attempting to enter Neptune’s Bounty, there is a disabled security bot on the floor. You can press X to hack the bot for your own use and it will follow you, shooting at hostiles. You can buy the bot off with some cash, or play a fun pipe-locking mini game to get the turrent on your side for free. Shock turrets that are blasting you to get a chance to hack them.

5. Just stop, Look and Listen

There’s no time limit on the demo and no limit to how many times you can play it through - so slow it down and take everything in. Look out every window and peer into every room. Hold your trigger finger for a while and listen to every conversation. The game dives so far into its own world and source material that every character who isn’t trying to ram a pole through your spleen, will have things to say and actions to perform. Also, just take some time to look at the game - it’s incredible looking and a true next-generation game. The water, the fire, the characters, the world - it’s an absolute masterpiece.

http://www.gameinformer.com/Games/Review/200709/R07.0814.1203.13551.htm
    10/10

Second opinion (from another reviewer), same score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Bioshock is region free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Cheers Kensutz, take it that it's the US/NTSC version you're referring to.
    If anyone is interested playasia have it cheap, I ordered mine earlier this
    week. Their cheapest postage option takes just under a week and I've
    never had any bother from customs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Yes the US version is region free. I shall be playing mine in a couple of hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Eurogamer Score:
    10/10

8 Days.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

amazing demo, cud be the best game ever hopefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

IGN gave it

I still haven't played the demo, as I've been away from the 360, but I've been looking forward to this since it was announced!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

IGN gave it

I still haven't played the demo, as I've been away from the 360, but I've been looking forward to this since it was announced!!!

be mindful of the hype

the world and settings for the game are class (which will win out over little niggles in the long run)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Vegeta wrote:
    be mindful of the hype

the world and settings for the game are class (which will win out over little niggles in the long run)

You know me personally man, I AM the hype machine!!!!

Advertisement