Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bioshock demo is now up!

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

You know me personally man, I AM the hype machine!!!!

Yeah I believe you will love this utterly. Try and clean the CRT as its a dark fecker of a game and all those finger prints will annoy you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Vegeta wrote:
    Yeah I believe you will love this utterly. Try and clean the CRT as its a dark fecker of a game and all those finger prints will annoy you.

Should be playing it at 1 today, providing my d/l didn't crap out on me!!! Must bring some wipes for the screen!!! Thanks for the heads up!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Teamxbox review is up

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have played many games and considering the demo Bioshock could be the greatest game EVER!

At least until Mass Effect.

And then until Burnout 5.

And then PGR4.

What about Orange Box from Valve?

And then there's Halo3!

Lets face it no matter how awesome Bioshock is, and it certainly looks super ultra sweet, it is going to have to share shelf space and game time with a whole host of great games, all must haves, all out before Christmas.

What to do, what to do?

I know, set up a study chart with my spare time split between each game, with assessments to decide which one should get the bigger slice of my time.

And then there's all the games on the PS2, DS and the Wii to get through.

Now what?

We're gonna need a bigger chart!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Julez

Another FPS, nothing overly special, looks quite nice, reminds me of Pray alot.. don't think I'll bother... guess its not my thing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Julez wrote:
    Another FPS, nothing overly special, looks quite nice, reminds me of Pray alot.. don't think I'll bother... guess its not my thing!

it's nowhere near Prey. The demo is only scratching the surface. You ever play Deux Ex? That was a FPS and it was nowhere near the image you get when you think of FPS (which is always a Quake/Doom shoot-em up game). This game is going to be amazing. The demo is a great taste of what this could be, especially just after the elevator. I, for one, cannot wait for Friday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

I'm still addicted to playing it and I'm about 10 hours into the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

Damn this game is excellent! I'm only at my first big daddy battle, but loving every moment of it.

I will shut up now and keep this thread spoiler free :)

Now all I need are Halo 3 and Mass Effect. 2007 is a great year to be a 360 owner :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

The Demo is great ,kinda looks like a mix of prey,Oblivion and lost season 1 so far but from what the reviews are saying its much more then that.Its been awhile since anything came out with reviews like what this is getting.
    Geat time to own a 360.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

a review by a "very" ubiased reviewer

http://www.sonydefenseforce.com/?p=83 :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

One can almost taste the sour-grapes due to fact it's not out on
    the PS3.. That 'reviewer' needs a Big Mac to go with the chip on
    his shoulder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

haha, i love that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

lol....look at the main page of the website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Nice follow up comments to the reviews.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,700 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I do find that website amusing. Good for a chuckle. I can only assume it is satirical.
    Oh. Wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Love the comments. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

My favourite:
    First off I would like to say you are severely retarded. Congrats for stealing my tax money you helpless academic disaster of a child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

What an awesome looking game, the hype is justified imo.

Like the others said the atmosphere was great, some of it was really creepy!!

Not a massive fan of FPS but will definitely be picking this up (when i have money).

where is the cheapest place to buy this....i think its delayed until september on playasia....its 61.99 on play or 52.49 on blahdvd http://www.blahdvd.com/Blah/Games_Product.aspx/--BioShock-XBox-360--?productid=GAMES-TT46841-JR
    anywhere cheaper ??

ciano1 wrote:
    where is the cheapest place to buy this....i think its delayed until september on playasia....its 61.99 on play or 52.49 on blahdvd http://www.blahdvd.com/Blah/Games_Product.aspx/--BioShock-XBox-360--?productid=GAMES-TT46841-JR
    anywhere cheaper ??

Found this in bardain alerts thread..

http://www.softuk.com/PC_Video_Games_Product_View.asp?ProdID=PCUK77210452

£26 + free delivery

Don't know how reliable this site is though...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055136755

• Advertisement

thanks but im lookin for the 360 version

ciano1 wrote:
    thanks but im lookin for the 360 version

didn't realise it was for PC!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

anyone notice that it doesn't quite feel like widescreen ?

http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=113784#post113784

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭coolerhash

only happening to the pc version the 360 version is ok

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

No, the 360 version has the same issue as well. :( Looks like a pretty big mistake. But hopefully it's fixable via a patch. Absolute hysteria has broken out on the 2k forums.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Here's the official response regarding the widescreen issue.
    We understand there has been some concern about the implementation of widescreen mode in BioShock. Hopefully, we can clarify how we’ve chosen to do this.

The first thing we want to make clear is the mode we developed the game on and the optimal mode for playing the game is the widescreen mode. 90% of our development stations were widescreen displays: artists, programmers and designers.

- BioShock was primarily developed and tuned for widescreen mode. Artists and designers worked with widescreen displays and chose a field of view (FOV) that best reflected their intentions with respect to the way the world is perceived, the perceived speed of movement of the player relative to the world and the amount of the world they wanted to be viewed for the best game-play experience. We went through dozens of iterations and finally settled upon a widescreen aspect ratio that best suited the gameplay experience.

- When playing in widescreen modes the game makes use of the full screen resolution, and does not crop or stretch a lower resolution image into a wide screen one. For example, at 720p the game renders natively to the full 1280x720 resolution.

- Once this FOV was established, we chose to keep exactly the same horizontal FOV for standard def displays, so as not to in any way alter the gameplay experience.

- Instead of cropping the FOV for 4:3 displays and making all 4:3 owners mad in doing so, we slightly extended the vertical FOV for standard def mode: we never wanted to have black bars on people’s displays. (This way, everybody is happy…) This does mean that people playing on a standard def display see slightly more vertical space, but, this does not significantly affect the game-play experience and, we felt that it best served our goal of keeping the game experience as close as possible to the original design and art vision on both types of displays. Reports of the widescreen FOV being a crop of the 4:3 FOV are completely false.

One thing we can assure you that all these decisions were made with the best interests of the game in mind. We didn’t save any money or development time by choosing this set of parameters. We did what we thought was the best thing for the game: developing and optimizing it for widescreen displays, and making the decision not to do the usual crop for 4:3 displays. As a consumer, you certainly have the right to disagree.

We understand that not all users might not be happy with these choices and we will be looking into options for allowing users to adjust FOV settings manually. But as we mentioned earlier, changes to video game code do not happen in minutes or hours. We appreciate your understanding.

http://www.2kgames.com/cultofrapture/home.html

So it seems it wasn't a mistake at all. They just did what filmmakers have been doing for years and did an "open matte", revealing more vertical image for 4:3 viewers but the game was designed primarily with 16:9 in mind.

Of course people are still going nuts about it. Everyone has the idea stuck in their head that more is better and that "true widescreen" should always contain more picture than 4:3.

They'll probably end up releasing a patch anyway just to shut everyone up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

I Finally got around to downloading this last night and its very impressive. Its very atmospheric. I haven’t been this sucked into a game world in a long long time. Will pick this up on Friday.

Advertisement