Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

im moving to dublin from aus!

Options
  • 13-08-2007 5:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

hey i moving 2 dublin from aus in early oct and got no idea were im gona live or work any info on this would be great thanks alot!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

gilly04 wrote:
    hey i moving 2 dublin from aus in early oct and got no idea were im gona live or work any info on this would be great thanks alot!!

For accomodation try www.daft.ie
    For jobs check out either www.monster.ie or www.daft.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Achilles wrote:
    For accomodation try www.daft.ie
    For jobs check out either www.monster.ie or www.daft.ie
    not forgetting www.fas.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 gilly04

thanks i will try them, can any one tell me wheres best to look and were not to live? i would say closer to city, cheap as possible and also as i won't have a car!:) cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

gilly04 wrote:
    thanks i will try them, can any one tell me wheres best to look and were not to live? i would say closer to city, cheap as possible and also as i won't have a car!:) cheers!

Basically look for anywhere with a post code eg Dublin 1, Dublin 17 etc. All of these areas are in the city and will have decent (by Irish standards) public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Collie D wrote:
    Basically look for anywhere with a post code eg Dublin 1, Dublin 17 etc. All of these areas are in the city and will have decent (by Irish standards) public transport.

General rule is; the lower the post code, the closer you are to the city - so Dublin 1 & 2 are accepted to be "City Centre", whereas Dublin 24 is suburbs. Odd numbers are used for areas on the northside of the city, even numbers are used for areas on the southside of the city.

Rents are experiencing a bit of a climb at the moment for various reasons, so even the most basic accomodation won't come cheap. You'll have to trade off between proximity to the city and the cost of rent - you'll get a larger, better furnished place in the suburbs, but will spend a lot of time on public transport.

Dublin is very city-centric. Most of the bus routes go into the city, and back out again. Very few go orbital routes, to the point where to make an 8-mile journey (in a straight line) may involve travelling twice that distance - going into the city centre, changing bus and going back out again.

Bicycle commuting is common enough, but not exactly safe. The roads are designed for cars. The weather is also an issue - there is almost always a westerly wind, and in the winter you can have weeks of non-stop rain, wind and cold.

A motorcycle is far and away the most efficient way to get around Dublin. It gives you the freedom to live anywhere in the city, and work anywhere else in the city. Even with the most gridlocked traffic, you could cross the city in an hour. In reality, a commute from the suburbs to the city centre on a motorcycle will take around half an hour. In a car, this could be anything from an hour to 2 and a half hours (if there's a major crash or whatever).

Where not to live: Tough to say. Postcodes cover relatively large areas, so while parts of Dublin 24 (for example) would be considered no-go areas, other parts of Dublin 24 are perfectly nice and serene. Same goes for Dublin 1, 2, 3, .... There's some historical snobbery about Southside -v- Northside (the southside being historically more affluent), but it's meaningless these days. The usual caveats apply - if somewhere looks very cheap, there's a reason. If you see graffiti everywhere, rubbish on the street and drunks wandering around, then it's not the nicest area.

I would strongly advise that you plan in two weeks at a minimum to get yourself set up. Even if you have a job set up - hunting for somewhere to live is a busy market at the moment - apartments can be snapped up within minutes of them being posted on a site, so you basically need to spend a few days with a backpack, a mobile and a map to get around to see places as quickly as you can.

• Advertisement

thanks 4 all of that, hopefully very useful, i think i need to get use to the layout of dublin totally different to melbourne! looks hectic!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Dublin city centre is not that big. I don't know Melbourne, but I don't think it will take you long to begin to know where you are going. Here are some of my photos of Dublin, that will give you an idea of some of the things you can see here:
    Flukey's Dublin.

As for jobs, the two best sites are:
    http://www.irishjobs.ie
    and
    http://www.recruitireland.com

thanks alot for the pics they look great! cant wait to get over there!:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Make sure everything is in order with work permits etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Punchbowl

Rathmines is about a 15 min walk from the city centre, near the Luas (light rail system), main bus axis, has a canal if you need to ship heavy goods and also contains the one and only Jo'Burger. There is 3 major supermarkets, a semi-decent shopping mall, McDonalds and a host of nice restaurants (Kafka). It is also home to the best Indian take away outside of India (Bombay Pantry).

Pub wise, Slatterys is the best of the bunch and a genuine Irish bar. Whilst Moda is a great late night coffee place. There is also a library.

Here's a link to properties available, all good value. Highly reccomended

• Advertisement

thanks alot, yeah got my working visa done, probly once i get there start lookin around 4 work and a place, that rathmines area seems pretty close to the city and majority of the work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Leeby

Just to make sure you know, it's not just the visa you have to worry about, you also need a garda card to confirm your status in the country, my housemate didn't have one, they let him into Ireland anyway but he hasn't been able to look for work as he didn't have the money to apply for the garda card straightaway.

****! what the hell is a garda card? havent really heared of that, can ya get it when ya there?

gilly04 wrote:
    ****! what the hell is a garda card? havent really heared of that, can ya get it when ya there?
    i found out what it was, never got told about it, i think i can get it done when i get there!! cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

gilly04 wrote:
    Garda = police. They mean an immigration card. It'll cost, I think €100-150.

Also have a look at this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055134771

and here: http://www.inis.gov.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

€100 ... every year. Bastards. Not looking forward to going again, last year I had to wait 3 hours in the office while they printed the damn card.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

daiixi wrote:
    €100 ... every year. Bastards. Not looking forward to going again, last year I had to wait 3 hours in the office while they printed the damn card.
    Ugh. What does it do? Is it basically a, "We know this guy/girl is here, and we're happy for them to stay for the next 12 months" card?

How long before you can apply for naturalisation/citizenship (assuming you want to)?

100 euro hey, thats not to bad i guess the bastards ohh well, so does that mean i cant start work until i get the garda card even know i have a working visa!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

seamus wrote:
    Ugh. What does it do? Is it basically a, "We know this guy/girl is here, and we're happy for them to stay for the next 12 months" card?

How long before you can apply for naturalisation/citizenship (assuming you want to)?

That's basically correct. You can apply for naturalisation/citizenship after around 5 years and it takes around 3 years to get a decision...

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭confuzed

gilly04 wrote:
    100 euro hey, thats not to bad i guess the bastards ohh well, so does that mean i cant start work until i get the garda card even know i have a working visa!!
    u can work.. when u enter Dublin..u have to apply 4 that.. but if already have job..u can work..and it is not for every year...depends upon ur work contract ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

Argh just lost my post. Okay..
    When you arrive at the airport immigration will stamp your passport and give you a date three months in the future by which time you will have to have visited the immigration office in Dublin or another set garda station outside of Dublin if you're not living there. You are meant to carry your garda card on you at all times as a form of ID and you can use it for ID getting into bars/buying alcohol. You may also be asked to provide it whenever you enter the country while you're working here. I always just hand it over with my passport.
    When I arrived the card was free and they only brought in the fee last year so I can only assume that they're now revenue raising.
    I've been here for almost three years so in two years I can apply for leave to remain and then for citizenship. An application for citizenship can take years to go through.
    Also gilly04, if you are staying at a hostel for awhile when you first arrive you can ask the hostel to write you a letter stating that you "live" there and use that to get your PRSI number (like a tax file number). You'll be paying emergency tax (42% on your entire wage) until you get a PRSI number.

cheers daiixi! very useful, i will be there in 2 weeks so hopefully works out all good!!

Advertisement