Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Splitting BT BB signal into converted attic...

Options
  • 13-08-2007 7:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

I'm buying a new rig (self made by Gline) Thread here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=53730676

SPEC:
    Intel QX6700@3.34ghz
    Tuniq tower cooled
    EVGA nForce 680i mobo
    Corsair 2 gig DDR2 XMS2 Dominator
    2x POV 8800gtx
    2x scsi320 147gig 15k rpm hdds raid0 + PCI-E SCSI RAID CARD
    320gig sata2
    Nec 5170 Dvdrw
    XFI Fatality Fps
    PC P+C 750 Silencer Quad
    24" Dell 2407WFP
    Creative 7900 7.1 system
    CM Stacker

My intention is to keep my existing PC also and setup a dual connection with the old one and the new rig in a converted attic - I've a BT 3 meg line atm - using a non-wireless Zyxel Prestige 600 series modem (provided by BT)

Part of the attic work will include a phone point... Whats the best way to connect BOTH PC's to BB?

Does the connection essentially SPLIT? ie transfer speeds are shared equally between both PC's?

Will another phone point installed still carry the same signal strength or should I use a wireless router to send the signal to both PCs?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You can only have one modem on the phone line, then share via ethernet cable (preferred) or Wifi to both PCs.

Without a more complex router than the one built in on your modem, there is not really any method to control how much of the total bandwidth each computer has. If both are doing exactly the same thing, the bandwidth may roughly split, otherwise it's impossible to say.

Run CAT5 cable is only up to 100m. Though WiFi indoors may not go as far, it is direct distance, cable has to go round things so is longer.

You can replace the entire modem to get WiFi or add a separate Airpoint or even modem with ADSL disabled for WiFi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

This was recommended on my build thread... http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=319207 what do you guys think?

Or more to the point how do I work the blasted thing?!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

Yeah that will do the trick, just plug the ethernet cable from your modem into it, then the cables from your PCs and you're done.

nilhg wrote:
    Yeah that will do the trick, just plug the ethernet cable from your modem into it, then the cables from your PCs and you're done.

Will a new phone point brought into the attic do the same job - ie hold the same signal strength?

I've heard that sometimes splitting existing lines effects the line strength...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's OK if you have a decent DSL filter on it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I am not sure if you picked up the point made in one of Watty's earlier posts that you can only use one phone point at any one time - you cannot have two modems or routers plugged into the one phone circuit at the one time or they short circuit each other. So basically you need a router/modem - either a seprate router added on to your modem or a new all in one sometimes referred to as a gateway. Your two pcs can then connect to this new arrangement either by ethernet cable or by wireless.

If you search around you can often pick good offers on this type of combo:

http://www.netgear.co.uk/wireless_starterkit_dgb111g.php

To some degree the new phone point in your attic is irrelevant to your worries as either it or the old one will be used but not both together. Be careful how you wire the new one too!

dub45 wrote:
    I am not sure if you picked up the point made in one of Watty's earlier posts that you can only use one phone point at any one time - you cannot have two modems or routers plugged into the one phone circuit at the one time or they short circuit each other. So basically you need a router/modem - either a seprate router added on to your modem or a new all in one sometimes referred to as a gateway. Your two pcs can then connect to this new arrangement either by ethernet cable or by wireless.

If you search around you can often pick good offers on this type of combo:

http://www.netgear.co.uk/wireless_starterkit_dgb111g.php

To some degree the new phone point in your attic is irrelevant to your worries as either it or the old one will be used but not both together. Be careful how you wire the new one too!

So essentially I buy a router / gateway, plug it into a phone socket and then plug two ethernet cables into it which then connect to the two PC's...?

Correct?

sticker wrote:
    So essentially I buy a router / gateway, plug it into a phone socket and then plug two ethernet cables into it which then connect to the two PC's...?

Correct?

Exactly. Something like this for example:

http://netgear.co.uk/wired_broadband_router_dg834.php

On the other hand the model I linked to earlier has built in wireless and probably would not cost too much more. You might not need wireless now and it can be disabled but it can be very handy if a laptop should appear sometime in the future:)

dub45 wrote:

On the other hand the model I linked to earlier has built in wireless and probably would not cost too much more. You might not need wireless now and it can be disabled but it can be very handy if a laptop should appear sometime in the future:)

This is the only reason I can see that the OP should get rid of his existing modem router. The cheapest, least complicated option is to get the switch for €23 and 2 ethernet cables of suitable length.

Unless of course it is still possible to get the eircom wireless modem/router for €29?

nilhg wrote:
    This is the only reason I can see that the OP should get rid of his existing modem router. The cheapest, least complicated option is to get the switch for €23 and 2 ethernet cables of suitable length.

Unless of course it is still possible to get the eircom wireless modem/router for €29?

Are you sure though that the BT supplied modem has a router function built in?

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote:
    Are you sure though that the BT supplied modem has a router function built in?

Yeah ( if it is the same as the one I had), even though it has only one ethernet port (and one USB) it is a DHCP server and does NAT.

nilhg wrote:
    Yeah ( if it is the same as the one I had), even though it has only one ethernet port (and one USB) it is a DHCP server and does NAT.

That's exactly what I have, but I don't mind paying for something thats decicated to the task - It has needed a reboot every so often so I prefer to get something new..

Advertisement