Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roofing felt for garden shed

Options
  • 13-08-2007 9:56am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know where I can get replacement roofing felt for a garden shed? Tried Gardenworks who I thought would have it but no joy.

I'm in D15.

Also, any tips as to how to fit it? I have a good idea what's involved but if anyone has done it and has any specific pointers that would be good. It's a typical barna shed, 10' x 6'.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

Most independent DIY merchants will stock Mineral Felt. It cost me around 25 yooyoos for my shed (10 x 6). You need a pack of galvanised felt nails too, they were about 4 yooyoos..

You wont be able to cover the whole shed in one go, I think the felt is a metre wide, I took off the battoning and put the felt over the existing one that was there.

I went lengthways down each side of the shed, leaving a skirt of around 4 inches down the sides and at the ends. Tacked this in place with the roof nails (no more that 6 inches between nails), then I cut the the same length to cover the roof area, overlapping the other two panels I fitted and secured the felt in place with even closer-together nails (as this is the bit that the wind and rain get to most).

Lastly I cut a 45 degree slot in the overhangs and tacked them all up into the corners using a kind of envelope overlap (making sure the ends wrapped under the lengthways fold so the rain couldnt' get in).

Replaced the batton work and all is good.

Took about an hour..

FBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Woodies sell it as well.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Excellent stuff, thank you both.

@ FBP: thanks also for the tips, nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭txt_mess

Supermikes in D15 have it in stock got some there myself

Advertisement