Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Karl Rove resigns

Options
  • 13-08-2007 10:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭

Top White House aide Rove resigns
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6943814.stm
    "I just think it's time," Mr Rove said in an interview for the Wall Street Journal, adding that he was quitting for the sake of his family.

So whats the real story? Somehow I don't think wanting to spend time with Mrs Rove and the little Roves really cuts it.

Comments

It is time. Rove needed to be out of the White House well before the next election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

he's the type of guy where he's either backing the guy places or hes not going to be around...

but what about those hearings ? how does it change things?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I'm not sure if there's some shít about to hit a fan but this certainly has something to do with cleaning up the perception of the Republican party before the elections.

That said, excuse me if I remain skeptical about his resignation - it reminds me of a similar move many years ago by Alistair Campbell who supposedly resigned but in reality did nothing of the sort (and was back for the following election campaign).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Possible options.

1. Aware of a sh!t storm coming and is bailing before the ship sinks.

2. Left for someones campaign for 08.

I doubt he could resign and still have input on US policy. It is something people would be looking out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I see there is a bit of a stink going on about some old footage now of Cheney saying they shouldn't go into Iraq as it would be a quagmire and loss of American lives wouldn't justify it.

This was for the first gulf war, but the conversation kind of overshadows what is going on now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BEsZMvrq-I

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Hobbes wrote:
    I doubt he could resign and still have input on US policy. It is something people would be looking out for.

Do you really think the man that Bush has relied on for direction since his first run for Governor of Texas would suddenly stop playing a significant role in what he decides to do (or not do)? I don't think he will, just like Aliastair Campbell never stopped being Blair's spokesperson after he stepped down (and even after Brown took over).

I think this is simply an official resignation with an unofficial link being maintained behind the scenes. It's only a matter of picking up the phone - not something anyone watching would be able to see.

This could be because something's about to blow up but it's more likely to be an attempt at improving Bush's , and by proxy the Republican Party's reputation as it prepares for the election campaign proper in '08.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

flogen wrote:
    Do you really think the man that Bush has relied on for direction since his first run for Governor of Texas would suddenly stop playing a significant role in what he decides to do (or not do)? I don't think he will, just like Aliastair Campbell never stopped being Blair's spokesperson after he stepped down (and even after Brown took over).

I think this is simply an official resignation with an unofficial link being maintained behind the scenes. It's only a matter of picking up the phone - not something anyone watching would be able to see.

This could be because something's about to blow up but it's more likely to be an attempt at improving Bush's , and by proxy the Republican Party's reputation as it prepares for the election campaign proper in '08.

a guy on democracy now says he intends to write the history of the bush administration before it ends to implant it into the ether and take a more overlooking view of things as adviser to bush.

Advertisement