Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ennis Bypass - OMG!

Options
  • 13-08-2007 10:25am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭

:mad: :mad:

I was driving back from West Clare yesterday, and used the new section of road for the 1st time.

All was well until the last roundabout, where all traffic converged in the MIDDLE OF CLARECASTLE!!!! :mad:

What a monumental cock up. Does anyone know is this the permanent route, or is it just a temporary situation?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I've gone up and down to galway a couple of times on it, never wound up in clarecastle! Must be something new and hopefully temporary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

there is another section to it that will bring you back to the main bypass. Its not open yet though so you end up coming off that roundabout to Clarecastle for now

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

It is just temporary until a new stretch of road is finished.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Good news. Would have been lunacy otherwise.

To get on Lahinch Road from Limerick it's probably still a better idea to go to Barefield exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

MarkR wrote:
    I've gone up and down to galway a couple of times on it, never wound up in clarecastle! Must be something new and hopefully temporary!

If you are going to places like Kilkee, Kilrush, Ennistimon or other West Clare places you still have to take the old route through Clarecastle and Ennis at the moment.

None of the link roads of the bypass are finished yet despite the bypass being opened 8 months.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

bazz26 wrote:
    If you are going to places like Kilkee, Kilrush, Ennistimon or other West Clare places you still have to take the old route through Clarecastle and Ennis at the moment.

None of the link roads of the bypass are finished yet despite the bypass being opened 8 months.

Incorrect baz. You can go as far as Barefield and double back. Quicker and more reliable to get to Lahinch that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I alwya go around Ennis to get ot Spanish Point. The road is crap around the town and requires a slow pace, but you'd still make time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I don't really see the point of opening that new section that they did last week at the moment - it's of very little benefit until you can get at it from the actual bypass. I think it's just a political thing to say that they're making progress as they're so far behind!!!

However I fear it's going always going to be a bottleneck. I think they should have had a flyover for traffic continuing on west. That's going to be the main exit off the bypass for Ennis town and for all traffic going west and all that traffic is going through that roundabout...........I foresee lots of tailbacks, but I could be wrong. Yet they built a flyover over the Kilrush road.....it doesn't seem to make sense to me.

There are 3 or 4 different exits off the Galway Road into Ennis afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

I daresay the reasoning for the opening now is that they don't have to pay as much financial penalities as they are so far behind.

There will be other exits that they are still working on but they were concentrating on the main bypass first so that they would not be penalised as heavy with the financial fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

There are 3 or 4 different exits off the Galway Road into Ennis afaik.

Correction - there are due to be. There's currently only two....one at each end, at Dromoland and Barefield.

There are - I think - 3 incomplete ones in between, but they're not open/in use yet.

Pedant :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Donal_g

Does anyone know when these tulla and quin rd links are opening??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

I heard that one of them will be opened in Nov when I dont know but would say the Tulla Road links will be the last one as the yard and living quarters are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

The tulla road junction is a while off yet based on what I can see when I'm going out that way. They have started working on it, but seems to be an awful long way to go yet........even though I'm no engineer. Haven't been out the quin road in a while, so can't comment on that end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

MarkR wrote: »

Thats rubbish, before the bypass you had to go through clarecastle.

And the road is full open so no more Clarecastle for all yiz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

Talk about resurrecting the dead .... :p

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Jay P wrote: »

I don't think you understood my post. We were talking about the ennis bypass. I said that I've been on it several times and never had to go through clarecastle.

"Before the bypass" has no relevance as we are talking about the bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

Jay P wrote: »

Look at the date of a thread before posting! usually a thread has run its course so bringing it back to life is annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Placid Casual

anyone try driving from Limerick to Doolin/Lahinch/Fanore with a sat nav in your car??
    The satelitte hasnt picked up the new ennis bypass yet! its so funny, according to the Garmin I was driving through rivers and fields :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

ellenmelon wrote: »
    Look at the date of a thread before posting! usually a thread has run its course so bringing it back to life is annoying.
    its only been a month and a bit, not years like

Placid:I got a sat nav from aldi a few months back and its a real pain because it doesnt have the ennis or the fermoy bypass and I can't update the damn thing, telling me to go into ennis etc

A buddie of mine was showing me his new pressie .... it told us we were 4 feet below sea level ..... :rolleyes:

Oh well .... I suppose it will keep you on your toes .... :p

hobie wrote: »
    A buddie of mine was showing me his new pressie .... it told us we were 4 feet below sea level ..... :rolleyes:

Oh well .... I suppose it will keep you on your toes .... :p
    That sounds class

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

1huge1 wrote: »
    That sounds class

Maybe it was stuck on "Limerick in the year 2050" mode :D

Yknow, global warming and all that :p

I have a feeling it may well have been reading correctly ..... with all the large banks built up along the Shannon you wouldn't know who is below sea level these days .... :rolleyes:

I just assumed you were in a bit of a dip, you know a valley or something

Very subtle Limerick Dude :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Fair play dude, that's one of the wittiest things you've ever said!
    *jealous for not thinking it first*
    :eek: :)

Advertisement