Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free bikes in Paris

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

We are apparently getting the same thing in Dublin, although some reckon we are getting a raw deal:

http://buckplanning.blogspot.com/2007/07/dublin-shortchanged-on-free-bikes.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I was suspicious of the advertising connection when I first heard of the scheme planned for Dublin but, according to the Guardian article anyway, that's the way the scheme works elsewhere and the way it got started in the first place.

Of course, that's not to say it wouldn't work without private funding, but these days we, as a nation, don't generally seem to demand that sort of vision (and investment) from those in public office...
    blorg wrote:
    We are apparently getting the same thing in Dublin, although some reckon we are getting a raw deal:

http://buckplanning.blogspot.com/2007/07/dublin-shortchanged-on-free-bikes.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I was suspicious of the advertising connection when I first heard of the scheme planned for Dublin but, according to the Guardian article anyway, that's the way the scheme works elsewhere and the way it got started in the first place.

It's not quite how it works in other cities. In other cities, they were mostly given existing advertising space (in Lyon, for example, they were restricted to bus shelters and tram stops). The advertisment boards that are going to be erected are going to be huge and ugly and take away from the city. Dublin absolutely got short changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Whether the ad space existed already or not, trading it for a public service is what's questionable (to me) in the first place.
    penexpers wrote:
    It's not quite how it works in other cities. In other cities, they were mostly given existing advertising space (in Lyon, for example, they were restricted to bus shelters and tram stops). The advertisment boards that are going to be erected are going to be huge and ugly and take away from the city. Dublin absolutely got short changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Frank McNally wrote a wonderful article in his Irishman's Diary column in the Irish Times two weeks ago. I'm afraid I don't know how to link it here (or if it can be linked). An interesting point about it was that it was free to rent the bike for 30 minutes and that the bike depots were an average of 300m apart so you could continuously change bikes and in effect travel your entire journey for free.

I hope we do it properly - it's a fantastic idea and Dublin is (could be) perfect for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I don't like the idea of sharing a bike with 30 people every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I think the idea behind these bikes is for short hops across the city, you drop it off at your destination and pick up a new one when you want to continue.

The-Rigger- whyever not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

The-Rigger wrote:
    I don't like the idea of sharing a bike with 30 people every day.

Urgh, germs! :eek:

Advertisement