Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf GT FSI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

The Bourne Identity, the Bourne Supremacy and now the Bourne Ultimatum. Car chases in Europe (much better than the USA chases) using old battered mini coopers and Russian made junkers driven by a trained spy... Really good car chases, as good as the car chase in Ronan. This time they have chosen the Golf GT as one of the getaway cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

lightening wrote:
    You get a lot for your euro though, performance, room, comfort and looks. I nearly fell off my chair when I saw the price of the standard A4!

The Golf GTI 200BHP lists at about the same (€35k) as the base Audi A4 - the one with the old 102BHP 8V 1.6 lump. The GTI is much better value for money imho

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

lightening wrote:
    The Bourne Identity, the Bourne Supremacy and now the Bourne Ultimatum. Car chases in Europe (much better than the USA chases) using old battered mini coopers and Russian made junkers driven by a trained spy... Really good car chases, as good as the car chase in Ronan. This time they have chosen the Golf GT as one of the getaway cars.
    I saw The Bourne Identity, t'was good!

unkel wrote:
    The GTI is much better value for money imho

Phew.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭MarkN

I don't think the price of the GTI is that much - it's certainly not that far away from the Opel OPC or the Focus ST and it won't lose anywhere like the other two when you go to sell it on/trade in.

I'm sure you can get a discount on them if doing a straight deal also. I know I was offered €2,000 off a new one without a trade from a Dublin dealer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Yeah, on paper the GTI looks a bit pricey, but the overall package/bang for bucks you get for the cash is still rather impressive, especially when you consider its not far off the cost of a 1.6FSI A3, boggo standard A4, and probably cheaper than a 316. Which would you rather have?!

There's a great selection of high performance hatches alongside the GTI out there right now (OPC, ST, Type R), all excellent cars...

Apparently, the big car chase in the new Bourne involves a VW Toureg! Its reportedly one of the best car chases on film... I'll see for myself tomorrow night.

GT looks well, this will be good for sales. Pity about the colour though..

VWGT.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

MarkN wrote:
    turbo cars use more fuel when not on boost.

...it's only fair that the OP gets actual information not what a mate down the pub says.

You should probably heed your own advice about actual information.

Unless the Golf is unique in running amazingly lean without holing it's pistons, I would love to hear your explanation for this. The air to fuel ratio needs to be maintained at the same level, more or less, right through the rev range. When the engine is on boost it is spinning faster, so the engine is breathing deeper (for want of a better expression), using more air and therefore more fuel.

Sorry to drag this off topic again btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Am hoping to get a mark VI GTI brand new in 4 years.

Any thoughts from anyone what this model will likely bring? Any thoughts on what they can improve on from the mark V?

Probably more power, and looking a little less "fat". I think the exhaust is a little bit noisy and the dump valve on mine is far to loud. It hisses everytime I take my foot off the accelerator.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

sicruise wrote:
    Has anyone driven one of these, the 2.0 litre model is 150bhp... seems powerful enough...

I'm thinking of getting one over from the UK looks like 20k to get a 2004 one brought over and vrt'd.

It'd be great to know what its like or should I just get a GTI.

I have a 1.8 Litre 150BHP '00 GTi if that's any good to ya! :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

MarkN wrote:
    I don't think the price of the GTI is that much - it's certainly not that far away from the Opel OPC or the Focus ST and it won't lose anywhere like the other two when you go to sell it on/trade in.

I'm sure you can get a discount on them if doing a straight deal also. I know I was offered €2,000 off a new one without a trade from a Dublin dealer.

I ran a Focus ST for 12 months. Great fun, but expensive to run. Depreciation was not an issue at all. They hold value extremely well due to relative rarity in the market. GTI's are everywhere by comparison.

It sold privately very quickly. I miss it actually :(

GTI's are everywhere by comparison.

There may be a good reason! ;)

I have only ever seen two ford ST's ever. Very impressive looking, not as refined as the golf, but really really nice. I thought it was very very loud, is this normal or is the exhaust that burbly?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

5 cylinder engine makes a distinctive burble ok. It was very refined inside however. Suspension was a good compromise. Recaro seats were excellent.

Fuel consumption was heavy, and tax and insurance were also high, but it was a really nice car. Buckets of pull at any revs and a fine soundtrack to boot. Addictive infact.

milltown wrote:
    You should probably heed your own advice about actual information.

Not according to any petrol head I've ever witnessed talking about turbo engines.

So they must be all wrong. Must be why they drink fuel when they are cold too. But again, you probably have your own theory. I've only lived with the cars.

Lightening - the whoosh you hear when you take your foot off the pedal is perfectly normal. The exhaust note sounds great for a 4 pot I think, it's loud when on full chat but not in a negative way.

Henry - I hope that rarity/depreciation thing works for S3s too :D

MarkN wrote:
    Not according to any petrol head I've ever witnessed talking about turbo engines.

So they must be all wrong. Must be why they drink fuel when they are cold too. But again, you probably have your own theory. I've only lived with the cars.

Lightening - the whoosh you hear when you take your foot off the pedal is perfectly normal. The exhaust note sounds great for a 4 pot I think, it's loud when on full chat but not in a negative way.

Henry - I hope that rarity/depreciation thing works for S3s too :D

It should do, but the change to the GTI engine (albeit a tweaked version) will hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

They could do with improving the furnishings of the interior and reliability for the next model, the interior quality of the current Golf is at best no better than a Ford(its actually worse IMO), VWs have long lost their reputation for reliability, plus a bit more power, its not that the car is slow, far from it in fact(it can do 230 km/h on German autobahns, just look at youtube), but 200 bhp is not a lot compared to its rivals.(OPC Astra has 240 bhp, Focus ST has 222 bhp).

Plus, using the technology that BMW uses for their 'efficient dynamics' programme too. That stuff has improved the claimed economy of BMWs by up to 10 mpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

E92 wrote:
    but 200 bhp is not a lot compared to its rivals.(OPC Astra has 240 bhp, Focus ST has 222 bhp).

You pay an extra €800 and you can have an extra 41HP on your GTI, 41:eek:!
    Thats 238HP, i saw it in magazines and the internet.
    http://www.superchips.co.uk/curves/vw2lfsiturbo.pdf

TWO of my mates own OPC's and neither of them can drive the car in anything less than 3rd in the wet. Give me the GTI anyday.

MarkN wrote:

Right, thanks MarkN. The weird thing is, a pal has one in grey and the you can hardly hear the dump valve!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Astra OPC suffers from terrible torque steer too.

Very few front wheel drive cars have the chassis to handle more than 200bhp. The Focus ST being one of only a few that can.

Interesting point from all this is.. where does the future of the GTI lie - will it be 4 motion next time? Kinda rains on the whole generation of the GTI (a fast FWD hatch).

If it's 4 motion then it might as well be a slower R32/36 and not a GTI at all.

I don't know what else they could improve on the MKV, more power maybe, better standard spec..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

OP, does it have to be a Golf? For the money you could get the GTI's arch nemesis, which has been around longer (2001) and therefore can be had cheaper.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=502079

In terms of ability there's nothing much between them.

Oh year, I forgot to mention, they could improve the cars spec list(though that is more to do with MSL than VW), whewn you pay €35 k for a car, the least that they could do is fit Air Conditioning as standard(scratch tha, the least they could do is fit Climate Control), rather than the sunroof, which went out of fashion 10 years ago.

E92 wrote:
    Oh year, I forgot to mention, they could improve the cars spec list(though that is more to do with MSL than VW), whewn you pay €35 k for a car, the least that they could do is fit Air Conditioning as standard(scratch tha, the least they could do is fit Climate Control), rather than the sunroof, which went out of fashion 10 years ago.

They do now.

It's air con not climate though.

Not quite sure a sunroof will ever go out of fashion TBH E92. If they were out of date 10 years ago then manufacturers wouldn't offer them as an option.

Do you see cassette decks on the options list these days? ;)

Well now how many cars today have a sunroof, compared to say 10 years ago? Even in Ireland we move with the times(eventually).

Like all the premium badged cars 10 years ago boasted an electric sunroof, because of course that was back in the day when we hadn't yet discovered the advantages of air con/climate control.
    high spec Toyota Carinas boasted sunroofs as standard, now the Avensis only has it as an option on select models. Volvo S40s had an electric sunroof when they came out at first, now there are no Volvos with sunroofs as standard nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I think sunroofs have certainly gone out of fashion... way back when, it used to be standard on a lot of cars, but these days aircon has certainly replaced it.
    Of course, irish motorists are still relatively slow to catch on to the benefits of aircon... the number of mates I have with aircon in their cars and they never use it (either don't know how, or think it uses too much fuel!)

I like a sunroof. Even if it is "unfashionable"

Can't believe you mentioned Toyota and Carina and fashion in the one sentence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Standard GTI does NOT have aircon / climate. According to volkswagen.ie it has this:

17" Alloy Wheels With 225/45 R17 Wheels
    Aluminium Dash Inserts
    Aluminium Gearshift Knob
    Aluminium Pedals
    Asymmetrically Split Backrest 1/3 / 2/3 With Load Through Provision And Rear Centre Armrest
    Automatic Dimming Rear-view Mirror
    Automatic Rain Sensitive Windscreen Wipers
    Axial And Vertical Adjustable Steering Column
    Blue Tinted Glass
    Body-coloured Rear Spoiler
    Colour-coded Body Mouldings
    Coming Home & Leaving Home Light Functions
    Crash Active Safety Head Restraints - Front
    Driver, Passenger, And Side Airbags
    Easy Entry Seats
    Electric Windows (4 On 5dr Models)
    Electrically Adjustable And Heated Door Mirrors
    Esp Including Brake Assistant
    Exposed Chromed Twin Exhaust Pipes
    Flat Tyre Indicator
    Front And Rear Floor Mats
    Front Fog Lights
    Gti Badges Front And Rear
    Head Curtain Airbags
    Head Restraints And 3 Point Seat Belts On All Seats
    Height Adjustable Front Seats
    Isofix Preparation (rear)
    Leather Gti Sport Steering Wheel
    Leather Handbrake Lever
    Light Assist Function
    On-board Multi-function Computer
    Passenger Airbag Deactivation Switch
    Radio "rcd 300 Plus" With Single Cd Player And 10 Speakers
    Red-painted Brake Calipers
    Remote Central Locking (includes Remote Opening And Closing Of Windows)
    Servotronic Power-steering
    Space Saving Spare Wheel
    Sport Suspension 15mm Lowered

Options:

FLOOR MATS € 153
    CLIMATIC AIR CON € 1,725
    AIR CON SEMI AUTO W.O SUN.R € 411
    CLIMATRONIC AIR CON € 772
    LEATHER SEATS & PACK € 2,185
    CURTAIN AIRBAG SIDE FR/REAR € 737
    CENTER ARM REST FRONT € 278
    UNDER SEAT TRAY PACKAGE € 105
    CRUISE CONTROL SYSTEM € 533
    WINTER PACK € 609
    MULTI-FUNCTION INDICATOR € 84
    RADIO NAVIGATION SYSTEM € 2,481
    AIR CON WITHOUT SUNROOF € 1,184
    MULTIFUNCTION STEERNG WHEEL € 391
    SUNROOF € 1,313
    M/F LEATHER TRIM S/WHEEL € 443

Although I don't understand the difference between any of the above climatronic air con, climatic aircon and aircon semi auto :eek:

Advertisement