Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf GT FSI

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Although according to carzone.ie, the exact same base GTI has:
    Air conditioning with climate control 2 climate control zone(s)

I suppose I should believe volkswagen...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

unkel wrote:
    Standard GTI does NOT have aircon / climate.

That could be wrong, the dealer assured me the 07 one has AC and no sun roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭MarkN

Unkel - air con has been standard since July 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

The foot mats are on both lists!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭MarkN

The VW site has xenons spelt as zenons, I wouldn't believe a word on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Altho a lot of well equipped cars will have sunroof and aircon/climate control (my 1991 integra had both!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

MarkN wrote:
    Unkel - air con has been standard since July 2006.

Yep you can tell the updated 2006 models by seeing if the stereo buttons are silver - 07 my 1.4 sportline had other minor changes such as bhp upgrade to 80, silver middle steering spoke and of course air con (not climate control though)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Unkel - I can confirm that aircon (climatic) is definitely standard now on the GTI, and a sunroof is an optional extra. Infact, aircon is standard on all Golfs now.
    Climate Control (climatronic) is around €650 extra on the GTI, but standard on the R32!!

Ignore the VW Irl site - its hopeless. Inconsistencies and inaccuracies all over the place. I find carzone the best place for getting a reasonably accurate, up to date spec list.

And as somebody above pointed out, the latest spec Golfs have silver buttoned radios, so a glance at the dash will tell you if its 2007 spec or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The website is completely out of date so. Pathetic! :rolleyes:

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

the vw site is rubbish, it doesn't even have the new golf gt sport spec on it and they have been flooding the papers with ads for it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭turbo

can anybody tell me if the Golf GT 140 bhp has a spercharger??

Whats the dfference between the 140 and the 170bhp apart form the extra power, bigger wheels and twin exhaust on the 170?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

turbo wrote:
    can anybody tell me if the Golf GT 140 bhp has a spercharger??

Whats the dfference between the 140 and the 170bhp apart form the extra power, bigger wheels and twin exhaust on the 170?

Apart from what you just mentioned, as far as i know the 170 has a winter button which can be pressed during ice or snow conditiions which limits the torque to avoid causing the car to spin. Otherwise its just the power, bigger wheels and twin ...oh and the price;)

Apart from what you just mentioned, as far as i know the 170 has a winter button which can be pressed during ice or snow conditiions which limits the torque to avoid causing the car to spin. Otherwise its just the power, bigger wheels and twin ...oh and the price;)

so is the power increase just down to the ECU?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭omega man

turbo wrote:

I believe the 1.4 GT 170 is supercharged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

omega man wrote:

As is the 140 version.

There is a 1.4 TSI on the way with 122 bhp but it does NOT have a supercharger. So it should really be called a 1.4TFSI(which is what Audi are calling it incidentally).

omega man wrote:
    Both the 140 & 170 are super & turbo charged. The supercharger is at low rev's and the turbo kicks in later at approx 3500k rpm. The change over is fairly smooth too - well it was on the 170 model i test drove.
    turbo wrote:
    It must be, but form the little research i done on it its not just a matter of getting a remap done to go from 140 to 170bhp - something to do which the timing the super charger turns off and the turbo kicks in.....i think :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Superchargers don't turn off or on. They are mechanically driven by the engine so as long as the engine is running, so is the supercharger.

Both the 140 & 170 are super & turbo charged. The supercharger is at low rev's and the turbo kicks in later at approx 3500k rpm. The change over is fairly smooth too - well it was on the 170 model i test drove.

It must be, but form the little research i done on it its not just a matter of getting a remap done to go from 140 to 170bhp - something to do which the timing the super charger turns off and the turbo kicks in.....i think :confused:

could also be the supercharger pulley size and turbo size?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

milltown wrote: »
    Superchargers don't turn off or on. They are mechanically driven by the engine so as long as the engine is running, so is the supercharger.

Yes, but are they not bypassable, effectively making them 'off' as far as engine performance is concerned ?

Here's how it works: the supercharger boosts torque and power at the lower end of the rev range - from 1,750 to 3,500rpm - with the turbo taking over at 3,500rpm and all the way to the 7,200rpm rev limit. This means that the TSI engine doesn't suffer from any turbo lag - the time before the turbo spins up to the point where it becomes effective at producing boost.

The turbo has air flowing through its turbine blades all of the time, whereas the supercharger only functions at lower revs. Once 3,500rpm is reached a bypass valve opens, which disables the supercharger. That's because at more than 3,500rpm the supercharger is an inefficient method of producing boost, because it needs to be mechanically spun to work. It does mean, though, that you don't have to wait for the boost to develop as it is more or less 'instant on'. By comparison, the turbocharger is driven by exhaust gas, hence the wait for it to 'spool up' as engine rpm increases.

To take the supercharger out of the equation once the engine is spinning quickly enough for the turbo to be on song, VW has employed a magnetic clutch within the water pump that engages the supercharger's drivebelt at 1,250rpm and disengages it once the bypass valve opens at 3,500rpm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement