Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Album of the Week #2 - Slayer - Reign In Blood

• 13-08-2007 10:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

I'll admit, Slayer were never a band I got into. Some people would probably like to slap me across the head for saying so, but I just never liked 'em, no matter how much I tried. No doubt they had some great riffs, especially on this album, but they just never clicked with me for some reason.

Metallica, Megadeth, Testament, Exodus, just about every other Thrash band of the 80's, I like them all... Just not Slayer, and honestly, I don't know why.

So, there's my confession. Your turn guys! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

The early stuff was great, reign in blood is an excellent album. Though i havent seriously listened to them in years, due to the fact that the last 3 albums have been dodgy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

consistent live, great albums (despite the fact that some people they have produced "dodgy" albums, I mean WTF is a dodgy Slayer album?)

One of the first bands I ever got into, and ah **** it, just a pleasure to listen to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,635 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Took me a while to get into them, but I am glad I put in the effort. Truly amazing band, and IMO, the epitome of extreme metal.

War Ensemble is one of only a handful of classic songs that I have ever listened to where you could change absolutely nothing about the song to make it better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

A classic album with some of their best songs. Deserves album of the week for Raining Blood alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Ph3n0m wrote:
    I mean WTF is a dodgy Slayer album?)

God hates us all, that's a dodgy album, and while diabolus in musica was my first slayer album i dont rate it as high as i used to, it's better than ghua, but after i got DIM i started getting their older stuff, and i like nothing better than sitting back with old school stuff like reign in blood

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Meh, I never really got into Slayer either. They don't do anything for me.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I don't like Slayer.

I like this though:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

The quintessential thrash album in my opinion. Clocking in under 30 minutes with every track an absolute monster, the riff in Post Mortem the energy of Angel of Death and the opening minute of Raining Blood are highlights for me.
    Slayer played faster than anyone else at their time and this album influenced alot of extreme music subsequently. Slayer seldom reached the dizzy heights of this album again (a few songs on South.. and Seasons... were great).
    But in fairness to them after 25 odd years they have never toned down their music or lyrics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I'm not a huge Slayer fan, but I really like this album. There's something about Raining Blood that just gets me every time, great song

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Never liked this album myself, aside from the obvious tracks.
    My first taste of Slayer was South Of Heaven which I think is better, then Seasons In The Abyss...which I feel is superior again...then I heard Reign In Blood.
    Most of the album just sounds like it was rushed, thrown together in a day or two for the sake of it.
    But Seasons In The Abyss....now that is a classic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I never got into Slayer myself either. I got a lend of South of Heaven off someone purely because it had a cover of Judas Priest's Dissident Aggressor on it. I can say without a doubt it's one of the worst covers I've ever heard, and for that reason alone I never even bothered to listen to the rest of the album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Dun dun dun!

That's all the Slayer I know.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I wouldn't be a huge Slayer fan and think that they are a bit of a joke now (not quite on the same scale as Metallica) but this album is ****ing killer. Porbably one of my most played metal albums and definitely the only one I play regularly with a BPM higher than 1... Pefect metal album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I much prefer seasons, i heard it first and felt everything else slayer did was a pale imitation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I only heard it once (a borrowed copy) I nearly died of shock in 1986! :eek:

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Angus MacGyver

10/10, Brilliant band. Brilliant Album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

I remember this was one of the first albums I ever bought[on tape and still have it], I was about 15 years of age, and it scared the bejesus outta me, fantastic fantastic stuff.

How the hells did this get album of the week?

Because it got the most votes, and its a great album - why who did you vote for :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

By being an insane album, as aggressive as anything out there, snarly and full of grit. Cracking listen in other words.

• Advertisement

Because an awful lot of the posts here are against the album or Slayer as a whole.

Anyway, to each their own ofcourse but I stick to my point of it being an awful pointless album.

Because an awful lot of the posts here are against the album or Slayer as a whole.

Anyway, to each their own ofcourse but I stick to my point of it being an awful pointless album.

Actually that is a fair point, I was hoping people would come on here and say why they actually like the album (like me) - I really dont give two ****s about the people that dont like it - its meant to be a thread about appreciation about the album of the week, if people dont like it, dont like the band, etc - why the **** post about it?

Likewise I am sure there will be plenty of other albums chosen, by bands that I do not like, etc, and tbh I aint going to waste my time posting here on why I dont like the album of the week

an awful pointless album senordingdong ...just like your post so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

"Pointless album", I don't understand :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Ph3n0m wrote:
    its meant to be a thread about appreciation about the album of the week, if people dont like it, dont like the band, etc - why the **** post about it?

Well I don't know Karl Hungus' reasoning behind albums of the week but the reason I started them on Alt/Indie was to generate discussion about the albums, not necessarily all appreciation. I think it's a far more interesting thread when people actually discuss what they like and/or don't like about the album instead of it all being a pat on the back, aren't our tastes brilliant thread.

John wrote:
    Well I don't know Karl Hungus' reasoning behind albums of the week but the reason I started them on Alt/Indie was to generate discussion about the albums, not necessarily all appreciation. I think it's a far more interesting thread when people actually discuss what they like and/or don't like about the album instead of it all being a pat on the back, aren't our tastes brilliant thread.

Unfortunately nothing here has even smacked of disccussing the album - some people are more interested in mouthing off about the band, questioning why it was album of the week, etc

If it was a case of actually saying what you like or dont like about the album - fine, big thumbs up for such a discussion. But so far, some of what has been posted, has actually been quite irrelevant and pointless

Ph3n0m wrote:
    Unfortunately nothing here has even smacked of disccussing the album - some people are more interested in mouthing off about the band, questioning why it was album of the week, etc

If it was a case of actually saying what you like or dont like about the album - fine, big thumbs up for such a discussion. But so far, some of what has been posted, has actually been quite irrelevant and pointless

Come on now, I don't think I was mouthing off. I tried to make a point and was rear ended before a discussion started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Not the best Slayer album IMO (a close 2nd to Seasons) but I just love watching the Still Reigning DVD for the craic. A most uncompromising band and still going strong after all these years.

Come on now, I don't think I was mouthing off. I tried to make a point and was rear ended before a discussion started.

Thats the problem with assumptions - I never said your name, did i?

• Advertisement

assume made an ass out of u and me

Advertisement